“Don't always judge the book by it's cover.”
Review of Rhino Bar - CLOSED

Rhino Bar
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed March 9, 2013

Looking through Trip Advisor for a place to eat in Palmer St, I went right past this one.
I checked out some of the more fancied ones and tried to get a table (without a reservation). As you might expect that approach earned us short shrift and borderline rudeness at a few places.

That led us to the Rhino Bar which we were told had recently changed ownership.
They were more than happy to see us and most accommodating.

The prices were extremely reasonable and the food we chose fresh and very tasty (without verging into gourmet territory). I went with the Chicken Mignon for $18 which I was extremely pleased with.

If you fancy some unpretentious food on Palmer Street, friendly service and don't care too much about critiquing the decor, give the Rhino Bar a shot. They don't "charge" you much. : )

Reviewed November 16, 2012 via mobile

Made a reservation for dinner for a friends birthday. When we arrived, they had lost our booking and the manager ( assumed to be as he was wearing a white button down shirt instead of black like everyone else) continued to argue with us about it. We finally got a table and the menu was disappointing as we had heard good things but there was nothing exciting on there, just boring pub style food.

After sitting a while we had to get the managers attention to take a drink order, we were told he would be back in a minute to take our order, but he didn't return. I had to go up to the bar an get my own drinks. The bar staff were absolutely lovely, very friendly and fast.

When we ordered our food, my friend had some dietary requirements which she had to make slight requests to her meal. Nothing out of the ordinary though. But when the meals arrived, the changes were not made. My meal (steak and veges) was fine, although everyone else was disappointed in theirs.

When we went to pay, we expressed our disappointed and thankfully they comped our bottle of wine and my friends meal who had the dietary requirements as she was unable to eat it. I'm glad they made an effort to make up for it, but it really should never have happened in the first place.

I'd maybe come back just for drinks at the bar as it seems to be a cool little night spot but I won't return for a meal.

Reviewed November 5, 2012

This is a great little bar in in Palmer Street but the furniture needs an upgrade asap. Every chair is either ripped &/or badly soiled. And it's really noticeable. It's a shame because it lets the place down. The service is great and the food is delicious. But you can't help but keep looking at what you're sitting on...

Reviewed November 1, 2012

Didn't have the wines we requested from the menu. Excuse was it was a Monday and they hadn't replenished stocks. The wine by glass was also questionable re how long the bottle had been opened so we asked for a fresh bottle to be opened, which was done willingly. The worst thing about this place is how tired and worn the seating is. Gross stains on fabric seats, tears and general grubbiness was a turn off.

Reviewed October 6, 2012 via mobile

An establishment set out with good intentions but let down by poor execution. ie. Overcooked pasta, lumpy risotto and disappointing steak. Especially frustrating when these are basics which every kitchen should master.
The wait staff we're helpful and efficient, but ultimately the service experience was tainted by rude individual staff.