All reviews our honeymoon mission beach private beach swing chair ultimate privacy million miles beautiful deck total privacy low tide pure luxury by water taxi breakfast each morning beach house sea turtles day bed natural beauty outdoor shower
Reviewed February 4, 2011

We spent 1 week at East Bedarra during November 2009. This was the most relax place we´ve been in Australia and one of the most beautiful. This is a real place to a romantic vacation as well as a place to definitely rest. Private beach, stuning scenario, a very good ocean water pool, and all the quietness you may want. The caretakers are very nice and friendly, helping with everything you may need. We had one bed sheet and towels change during our stay. We took the Princess Villa package and this Villa location is privileged. It has an amazing view of ocean with other islands in the horizon. When we arrived all the property was organized and clean, including the spacious Princess Villa. We got the luck to see a turtle just below our window. This is a place for those who cares about nature and its resources. If you do not waste the electricity you will have enough power to even see movies on dvd, hear music during the day and have a hot water shower in the night. The quality of supplies is excellent and you should try the experience of cooking all your meals in this piece of heaven. Do not forget to book a boat trip to a outer reef in the Great Barrier Reef.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Daniel_do_V_Pereira
Reviewed October 15, 2010

I've never been one to believe in signs, but it seems that an impromptu getaway to East Bedarra Island Retreat was always meant to happen.....

It started off with a trip to the dentist (unlikely introduction I know) impatiently flicking through some of the magazines whilst awaiting my fate, my eye paused on a page that enticed me with turqoise waters, luscious palms, candlelit intimacy and the promise of paradise. East Bedarra, sounded too good to be true, so I logged the location in my memory, with every intention of revisiting that thought and marched into my appointment, with a surprisingly upbeat approach to some major dental work.

Fast forward a week and I am researching locations for a photo shoot, sitting in front of the computer trying to find something that fits the brief, I'm startled back into reality when my phone rings, it's one of our location managers suggesting I check my email. He's found this place in Far North Queensland that would be perfect, he has sent some shots and it's apparently worth a look. The subject of the email: "East Bedarra Island Retreat".....

Fast forward a month, my partner and I are sitting on a boat, packed full of fresh produce, delicious wine, a very small bag of sarongs, sunscreen and swimwear and the vision of Bedarra island clearly insight.

We are actually sitting in the page of that magazine and it looks better in real life, if thats even possible? A mixture of modern, laid back design pared with a bohemian, open-plan island feel. Completely encircled by nature, with a variety of luscious vegetation and beautiful wildlife. Sunbirds and butterflies darting around the floral trees, soft sand beaches (there are two of them within easy reach), that beautiful water, which is more than just turqoise, it's greens and blues and sometimes pinks and purples, depending on the time of day.

We spend most nights cooking our meals on the open outdoor fire, by candlelight, playing cards, star gazing, eating great fresh meals (we love to cook, so that helps) finding ourselves drifting off on oversized cushions, with the sound of the ocean lapping underneath us and sleepy smiles on our faces.

But it's not all about relaxation. The beauty of this type of place is that it can be whatever you make of it. There are adventures to be had and exploring to be done. Whether it be by snorkel, kayak or foot, with camera or paintbrush in hand this experience really does cater for those that want to do as much as those who don't.

And you know you're in a great spot when a rainy afternoon is just as great as a sunny day...

Fast forward 2 weeks and I am sitting back at my desk, sun-kissed island-blissed, grinning like one of those green tree frogs, thinking that our experience would have to go down as one of the best accidents of my life!

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Champagneonarrival
Reviewed October 6, 2010

My husband and I have had the ultimate pleasure of holidaying at East Badara Island Retreat, it exceeded our highest expectations . We were totally blown away by the beauty and reality of this location especially that wonderful freedom to wake up at anytime day or night. We would have a champagne breakfast, then we would have a refreshing swim, snorkel and kayak over to another Island then back to the beach hut for our seafood lunch and snooze... what a great feeling it was to have such an amazing place like this all to ourselves with no one to bother us, we’ve never experienced such privacy in any of our other holidays. From our bed in our villa we could see right across to all the magnificent Islands and Australia... we have soo many beautiful photos, sunsets felt like we were living in a fairytale and we spent most evenings laying on the beautiful love chair gazing at the stars, listening to the ocean under our deck and sipping on more champagne.. wow ...absolutely breathtaking and very romantic.
With my husband coming from Italy and family in the USA, we travel lots and have spent most of our summers on the island of Capri, Italy. Badarra Island however has definitely blown us away surpassed Capri and now become our favourite holiday destination on this planet.

We have promised ourselves to return every year and bring more champagne with us.

Tony and Linda Orlandi

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
3  Thank lindaorlandi
Reviewed October 4, 2010

On our 5th anniversary we decided to try something different, after always holidaying at Monkey Mia & came across Bedarra Island. We like outdoor, natural settings & hate to be in a hotel surrounded by other people & "staged" environments. We found the island to be magical & were delighted that at high tide we were able to sit on the deck & dangle our feet in the magnificent ocean whilst looking onto the mainland. We enjoyed outdoor showers, gorgeous sunsets & an open fire on the deck at night where we could sit & talk & have a cocktail in the evenings.The gourmet catering was the best we have encountered & we ordered exotic fruit & fish & lots of bubbly & just ate as we pleased! No conforming to daily buffet schedules which make you feel like being on a cheap cruise. There was no-one to bother us & the views from the Princess Villa across to the twinkling lights of the mainland made us feel like we had truely escaped. The activities were just what we needed to balance the relaxation & romance with the feeling of adventure- kayaking, long exploring walks, fishing, snorkling & swimming. Totally a holiday with a difference, really being one with nature & knowing the feeling of the illusive dream of being "stranded on a beautiful island".

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank thepea83
Reviewed September 29, 2010

My partner and I have travelled the world including The Maldives, Seychelles and Santorini and I would rate East Bedarra among the best we have stayed in and I would even go as far as to compare it very much to Bora Bora where we stayed right on the lagoon.
When we arrived we were greeted by a lovely couple with a chilled bottle of french champagne who gave us a tour of the retreat which included a explantation on how the solar power works, so I am quite amazed at the previous review with their statement about a flaky generator running the power.
Being a nature lover we found the location a tropical paradise with lots of beautiful butterflies and birds and in the evening while Alan and I were enjoying our sunset drinks on the deck we were visited by Tom the Turtle as we affectionly named him and this became a nightly ritual.
We stayed in the princess villa and we found this to be spotless the sheets were even ironed which I would not have expected from being on an island. It was so beautiful to wake up each morning and to gaze out over the pacific ocean without even lifting our heads off the pillow, it was like living in a postcard. While we booked the princess villa the beach bungalow was used for all our cooking and we decided to sleep in the beach bunglow for one night to have the complete experience, the bungalow is open and this makes for the perfect beach house and we are always in search of the perfect island holiday and we have found this at Bedarra.
We plan to be back at the same time next year to visit Tom the Turtle and all the beautiful nature that surrounds this idyllic location.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple