“Very good hotel in Adelaide CBD!”

Hotel Grand Chancellor Adelaide on Hindley
Ranked #14 of 56 Hotels in Adelaide
Reviewed 20 March 2011

We paid 333 AUD for 2 nights in a standard double room. Personally I think this rate is very good (value for money), because it is a very nice hotel in the centre of Adelaide’s CBD.
Very good location.
Friendly staff.
Very good swimming pool.
Nice big room, nice big bathroom. Everything is clean.
The only negative aspect of our stay in this hotel is the noise pollution in the room. Because the hotel is located in a street with many bars, you really need earplugs until +/- 3 AM to get some sleep on weekend nights.
We regret that WIFI is available in the hotel, but NOT for free. If McDonalds can offer this for free, why do hotels still try to earn some extra dollars with this?????
We enjoyed our stay in this nice hotel and would definitely consider staying there again.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 19 March 2011

This hotel is a great choice. I stayed in an executive room and was very happy with the standard of furnishings and overall cleanliness of the room. The bed was very comfortable and the size of the room very good. The check in staff are courteous and efficient and the porter excellent. Thank you for a nice stay I travel regularly for business and I will come back.

• Stayed: March 2011
Reviewed 4 March 2011

Stayed in this hotel with colleagues for a work conference. I was in a twin room, and both beds had broken springs, sagging badly on one side so that sleeping felt like clinging to a slope. In the room, tea spoons had been put back into the cups unwashed. Breakfast was very ordinary, and the coffee tasted like the machine hadn't been properly cleaned for a long while. During the function, a vegetarian colleague asked about her options, and was told to fish the chunks of chicken out of a pasta dish.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank Danmeek
Reviewed 25 January 2011

This hotel is not bad at all. Location is just down the road from the Rundell Street Mall certainly a short walk which I did to go shopping.

Noise at night is an issue as it is not in the best part of town, across the road from Strip Joints and Nightclubs, but if that’s your thing it’s ideally located. The rooms are looking a little tired but ok.

Staff are great, check-in was one of the best I’ve experienced and dinner was ok as well. Special kudos goes to Claire in the restaurant who was attentive and very efficient at her job. Dinner for one 3 course was about $ 60.00

One thing I particularly did not like was the parking. Was the smallest parking lot I’ve ever been in, with my Rental taking about 6 goes to get into a spot made for a car much smaller than what i was driving.

Breakfast in the room was ontime and was just right, ordered the Regular Breakfast from memory was about $ 18 - $ 22.00

Nonetheless you would not be disappointed if you stayed at this hotel.

Checkout was also ok.
Length of stay was 2 nights Wednesday - Friday.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 23 January 2011

Stayed at this hotel for 3 nights for the Tour Downunder. Firstly, let me say that we stayed here for the 2010 event and things were much better. We arrived into the extremely cramped and near impossible to park carpark to be greeted by an intense smell of sewerage. It was so strong we had to cover our noses. We were later advised by staff that this was, indeed, sewerage we were smelling. I would not even expect this from a developing country hotel, let alone in Australia! On checking in, I noticed a sign that the pool was closed for repairs for our whole stay and it was 30 degrees + each day. I never, ever book hotels without a pool so I was very upset about this. The check-in attendant did not even mention it to me....Lucky I saw the sign! They directed us to their other hotel to swim, which was a 5 minute walk away. This was a dark and dingy tiny pool that was allowed a maximum of 5 people at once and was in the basement of the hotel. There was an empty beer botel and a whole heap of cigarette ash in the bottom of the wardrobe so obviously housekeeping does not do a thorough clean after people have checked out and, mind you, this is supposed to be a non-smoking hotel. The smell was disgusting. We called them about the beer bottle and ashes and they came and took the beer bottle but the ashes were not vacuumed up at all during our stay. Now while I understand that pools sometimes need maintenance they should have offered some sort of compensation by way of a dining credit, etc for the inconvenience. I booked direct through the hotel and in their confirmation email 2 days before we arrived they made no mention of this pool closure. Whenever we tried to talk to them about our issues they just said "sorry" and offered no assistance at all. On the upside, this hotel offers one of the beast buffet breakfasts I have ever had. Needless to say, this was our last stay at this hotel.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank CM2228
Reviewed 19 January 2011

Just stayed at this hotel and found it to be an all round very good hotel. Located in the heart of Adelaide this hotel offers easy access to everything. Staff at check-in were great and very welcoming. Hotel has a nice bar and restaurant area on the ground floor. The double bedroom I had was very spacious, comfortably fitting the bed, desk, sofa and two arm chairs. The decor and condition in the room was starting to age slightly but not enough to spoil a stay. The large flat screen sony tv with foxtel compensated for this. The bathroom was also a good size, clean and had a good shower. Minibar in the room was well stocked, and the room service was both prompt and tasty. I had a room at the back of the hotel and wasn't disturbed by any outside noise. Had a great nights sleep and found the bed extremely comfortable. Compared to other hotels I've stayed at in Adelaide for a similar or higher price, this comes out on top.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 19 December 2010

Situated in Hindley street! Not an area for a single woman on a Saturday night. I booked this hotel for the swimming pool featured on their web site. It was closed,. they offered the use of the spa at their hotel on Curry Street . This was an indoor smelly murky lap pool and a jacuzzi occupied by a couple in their underwear! I suffered a , disturbed nights sleep not only from the noise in the street..but fellow guests who banged doors, brought smelly pizzas.drinks and maybe extra guests for what seemed an all night party! The Air con in the room was faulty likewise the lighting in the bathroom! And disgusting hairs in the plug hole.. Wanted to charge me for breakfast though I had booked at an expensive luxury room and breakfast tariff. Awful!

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled solo