“Asian understated elegance in mood and food”
Review of Concubine

Concubine
Ranked #9 of 1,718 Restaurants in Adelaide
Cuisines: Chinese
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 17 August 2017

Concubine has a timeless and subtle interior, charming but unobtrusive staff and really delicious Asian food that is modern, fresh and delicious. The two of us shared dishes of fried tofu, prawn and chive dumplings (really good quality prawns used for this, which is unusual for a filling), tea smoked duck and one daily special, a vibrantly fresh Nam Jim salad with crispy pork belly. Servings were a good size; the flavours suggested influences from right across Asia and are well balanced so they still go well with wine. Also would like to add what a great place to enjoy conversation - the pleasant but muted background music and general acoustics made listening far easier than it often is elsewhere. There's a very handsome room upstairs for private dining which I'd love to book sometime.

Reviewed 6 August 2017

My husband and I were eating at this place for our first time last week, when we had a visitor from Germany and I have to say this was the last time. The food was fine except for the “Slow braised Barossa Pork Belly in dark soy”. The Pork Belly was at least 90% fat. There was hardly any meat to find. We three had a small table, and the four dishes and the rice filled it up completely. I did not know where to put my glasses. We booked a table at 6.30 pm and there was so little light in the restaurant that we hardly could see each other let alone the dishes. But the most annoying thing was that the owners give their guests probably 30 to 40 minutes and then you have to leave. And they doing it by removing one dish after the other. I firmly kept my bowl in my hand. They did not get this, but they came every five minutes and asked if we would like something more. It was so annoying!!! No, sorry, you will not see us again. We have luckily so many fine Chinese restaurants in Adelaide, where we can eat as slowly as we like.

Reviewed 3 August 2017 via mobile

This was my second visit to Concubine during the last 12 months. Fast service, lots of different dishes to choose from & not very expensive at all.

Reviewed 8 July 2017

Not your typical Chinese restaurant - Concubine was packed out with diners on the night we visited. We had booked a late table after a performance so we were all very hungry and the food did not disappoint. Good starters and we had a couple of mains off the main menu and a few off the specials. Standouts were the Beef Cheeks and the Salmon. Food came quickly and though it was late we didn't feel rushed by the staff who were very attentive. Would definitely visit again when in Adelaide.

Reviewed 8 July 2017

A fantastic restaurant with great food and service.
We went as a party of 10 with another party of 12 in the same room . A little loud but this did not stop the very prompt service. In fact the whole place was full.
The waiting staff ran there socks off getting what you want and remembering your order for future. The banquet menu was great with sufficient assortment for all tastes. I could not fault it. Will go back.