Comfort Inn CooberPedy Experience
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Desert Cave Hotel(Coober Pedy)
  • Pool
Mud Hut Motel(Coober Pedy)
Opal Inn(Coober Pedy)
View Hotel
All reviewsunderground experiencenooks and cranniesan amazing experiencestaying undergroundfamily rununderground moteldegrees celsiusrooms are cleancoober pedy experienceset your alarmunder groundplace to stayhotel ownermining townno natural lightopal minesunderground living
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 8 October 2011

this was such a fun place to stay.
Our room had an airshaft over the bed, and under the shaft was an umbrella, opened up so it would catch any bits of dust (or opals!) that fell through.Next door to the motel is a church that the owners support and so they should. While digging space for new rooms, they came across a rich vein of opal.Thanks Lord, it paid for the extension (I suppose. )

The room was comfortable and not claustrophobic.

This is a really nice and comfortable place to stay in a really weird town. I loved Coober Pedy, the food at several cafes was outstanding, and we took several short guided trips, all fascinating and all eccentric. yes, we bought opals.

Room Tip: all the rooms are unique, being dug out by hand.
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 July 2011

I have to say this was one of the most unusual places I've ever stayed in. Overall my experience was positive and I would have no hesitation in recommending this property. The owners are a bit eccentric - you'll find that is pretty normal out here - but they are totally hospitable with an understanding of service - not as common as you might think in the Aussie outback. With a total silence and blackout however-many metres underground, sleep quality is total and the rooms are delightful, especially when you consider they are hewn from solid rock. There's no air-conditioning as the temperature is constant and very pleasant. Ventilation is by vertical shafts so it's not stuffy at all. The hosts conduct a little "site inspection" (tour) of the property and this is really interesting, so go along and you'll see that the place is always undergoing expansion as new tunnels are dug.
There is Wi-Fi in the foyer and parking outside in a closed yard.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 18 May 2011

Was a great experience to stay underground and it is definitely something you need to do in Coober Pedy. Checking in, the lady at the desk who I believe also runs the whole place (family owned) was an absolute champion. She gave a quick tour of the place before showing us to our room and you get the feeling she loves her job which is just the type of person you need.

The room itself isn't a 5 star standard so don't go in there expecting that, especially being Coober Pedy, there isn't much choice. The furniture decor is a little dated, especially the bedspreads. There was a little dust, but again, for something underground, it wasn't a surprise and in general the room was an acceptable standard of cleanliness.

Sleeping in the room underground was great. Had an excellent sleep with next to no noise or light to disturb you during the night. Pity I only had time to stay for one night. There isn't much choice either in terms of entertainment in the room. It is a nice flat screen LCD television of a decent size, but it can only pick up 3-4 channels and does not have pay TV. Also on offer in the morning is breakfast for $12 where you just help yourself though I didn't take advantage of it because I was only stopping over the night whilst passing through moving between states.

One other handy thing is that they provide you plenty of information on the area and also a 10% discount voucher for one of the local restaurants which does great pizzas, pastas, and burgers. They also serve other things but those were the menu options I have tried.

Overall, given the limited choice of accommodation options in Coober Pedy, and also taking into account the excellent customer service that is provided, I would definitely recommend Comfort Inn as the choice place to stay in town.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 16 September 2009

This was the first time that I have stayed in an underground Hotel. It turned out to be an excellent experience. The staff are extremely nice. On arrival we were given a quick tour of the hotel and shown to our room. The room is basically an underground cave with a lovely comfy king size bed, TV, microwave and tea and cofee making facilities as well as a sink. By the way the brollies in the picture of the room are to catch any dust which might fall down the ventilation shafts. I have to say with the hotel being underground their is a lovely calm quiet atmosphere. If you are staying in Coober Peddy I would certainly recommend this unique experience of staying underground. You also get 10% off John's pizza palace if you show your room key. That is one of the best eating places in Coober.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank colin1962
Reviewed 17 August 2009

First let me say that Coober Pedy is one of the strangest places I have ever visited! It's definitely an experience.

We chose to stay at this hotel as we were able to get a good rate. We also found the Desert Cave Hotel's prices to be extremely expensive (it's on the main road and has extra amenities which could or could not be worth it). While this hotel is not on the main road, it is only a five-ten minute walk away (the town isn't that big).

There isn't a huge parking lot. A few large SUV's and campers could easily take up the entire space. However from what I read in their guest services directory they are in the process of changing it.

The hotel is made out of an old mine. The decor is very old-fashioned - but in a good way, it felt very warm and home-like. The one staff member we encountered while we were there for our two night stay was very nice, informative and welcoming. She gave us a map of the area at check-in and showed us places to eat, places to see, and gave us brochures for tours available in the area (we took the Radeka's breakaway tour which I'd recommend).

Our underground room was comfy. It came with a queen bed plus a couple chairs, table, TV, fridge with a small selection of minibar foods and (nonalcoholic) drinks, sink, cups, plates, and a fan to keep the air flowing if we thought the room got too stuffy (which it didn't but was nice to have that option due to no windows). We didn't mind that there weren't any windows - neither my partner nor I are claustrophobic (and had a great night sleep due to no light or noise). There was an umbrella on the ceiling under the vent to prevent any dust from falling into the room (very strange but that's how their ventilation system works!). Bathroom was of normal size and came with many soaps, shampoo, conditioner...anything you could ask for (and more).

While there aren't many channels on the television, they do offer DVD's and a DVD player to rent. Had we stayed longer we may have rented a few DVD's (they had quite a selection for such a small hotel!). I could see this useful if someone had children and needed to keep them occupied for a night.

The hotel only offers housekeeping should you ask for it (I think this is a great idea and more hotels should do this!). If not, they respect your privacy and do not enter your room to clean it.

The hotel does offer internet services and there is internet available in the lobby as well. It seemed rather slow (dial-up) but this is to be expected since we're in the middle of no where. If you're the type of person who can't live without internet or checking your email every other minute then this is definitely not the place to stay (or even the town to be visiting!).

The hotel offers a continental or hot breakfast but on the days we were there they only offered the continental. It's $12.50 per person which we thought was a bit steep due to the lack of options (toast, cereal, muesli bars, coffee, tea, juice). The guest services directly also listed a dinner menu however we didn't dine in the hotel. There is a Greek restaurant and a pizza bar (not just pizza but plenty of other foods as well) on the main street which offered a selection of foods for a decent price. We got a 10% discount at the pizza bar for staying at our hotel. We looked at the menu from Umberto's (the restaurant at the Desert Cave Hotel) however the prices were a bit high and there wasn't a huge selection of food available (which for me as a picky eater can be a problem - maybe not so much for others).

Overall we had a great stay. Should we ever travel back to Coober Pedy or use it as a stopover we will stay here again!

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple