“Impressive Japanese cuisine”

Suminato Japanese Restaurant
Ranked #241 of 645 Restaurants in Hobart
Price range: US$12 - US$61
Description: At Suminato Japanese Restaurant, contemporary Japanese cuisine is created by our Head chef from the best, freshest and most seasonal ingredients. Choose to order a range of your preferred individual dishes, or leave your meal in the hands of our Head chef with a banquet menu. Suminato can also cater to vegetarian, gluten free and 'no raw' Japanese food as requested.
Reviewed 2 weeks ago

With another family, my family met up for dinner at this new Japanese Restaurant in Sandy Bay and we were impressed with the service, dishes, ambiance and toilet facilities. Although 2 families occupied one long table, we were able to pay bill separately. I booked the table for 7 people and even before 6 pm, the place is already buzzing with customers. The only thing we noticed is that the main dishes came first then followed by the tapas and tempuras which I did not mind for we are already eating our mains. My beef steak came as medium rare as I mentioned to the female staff and was well seasoned and all the dishes that came out of their kitchen were delicious and just like the word Suminato which means "gift of God". I will surely go back to this Restaurant to try their other dishes and drinks on their extensive menu. They can also serve vegetarian and gluten free dishes. There is also a function room towards the back of the restaurant.

Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Not a true Japanese restaurant - more a Chinese restaurant with a few Japanese
touches.
The sashimi and sushi are Japanese - but that's about all .... except the decor which
gives a nod to Japanese style.
Our tofu was given to the table next to us, and when ours finally arrived it was stone
cold (agadashi is a hot dish) and while they gave us another serve which was hot, the tofu blocks (unattractively presented) were inedible.
The beef slices were raw in the middle and the lamb was smothered in an
orange sauce (think Duckling a la Orange) .. perhaps it was an orange ponzu?
Slow confused service.
Think before you visit here.... unless you like raw fish and rice rolls.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

Simply the best Sashimi I have ever had.
Only been open for 4 months however, the people at Suminato have really got their act together.
Superb decor, warm, friendly , efficient staff and wonderful service.
The presentation of the sashimi was WORLD CLASS.
I will find it difficult to not attend weekly.
Congratulations and I will return.

Reviewed 6 March 2018

While we had been meaning to try Suminato for a while now, it was the search for somewhere still taking orders after 8.30pm that finally led us to the King Street Japanese eatery. Ruth and I have been looking for somewhere to grab a light bite after our evening yoga session and, while not cheap, Suminato delivered. It is certainly a pleasant place to dine, with its traditional Japanese Wave and Samurai warrior wall art complimenting the light-colored pine furniture. We made a couple of very good starter choices with the Chicken Karaage from the Tapas list (7 pieces on a bed of lettuce leaves for $16), so too the delicious Renkon (Lotus Root) Crisps with a Spicy Mayo dip ($7). Ruthi again zeroed-in on the salmon dishes and may have drawn the short straw with the Sake Ikura Don ($19), not having been pre-advised that the salmon pieces would be cold, within a warm vegetable dish. A nice dish for all that. She'll try the Miso Salmon ($26) next time round. I opted for the Buta Shogayaki (Pork Belly on a Hot Pan) at $24. Naively I had presumed the dish would comprise traditional cubes or ribs of belly but the dish is based around rashers of stewed or boiled bacon in an onion-laden sauce. Again, a nice dish, but maybe not quite spicy enough for me - I'll know next time. All part of life's rich tapestry, eh? Ruthi liked the chilled draught Asahi Super lager. At $78, hardly a bargain price but we will probably go to Suminato again, knowing that we'll get a welcoming smile and a fully-available menu list, rather than a surly 'No - the kitchen's closed', at 8.45pm. A good mid-week find for us - and close to home.

Reviewed 2 March 2018 via mobile

Just a 2 minute walk from our accommodation in King St Sandy Bay(which I will review later, check it out No25 nicely appointed 1 bedroom apartment semi-detached).
Restaurant, oh yeah the special lunch sets looked good and comments made by other diners agreed. We opted for a selection of tapas which was a bit hit and miss.
Ok!