“A big disappointment”

Suminato Japanese Restaurant
Ranked #194 of 669 Restaurants in Hobart
Price range: US$12 - US$56
Description: At Suminato Japanese Restaurant, contemporary Japanese cuisine is created by our Head chef from the best, freshest and most seasonal ingredients. Choose to order a range of your preferred individual dishes, or leave your meal in the hands of our Head chef with a banquet menu. Suminato can also cater to vegetarian, gluten free and 'no raw' Japanese food as requested.
Reviewed April 4, 2018

Suminato was a big disappointment. The food lacked taste, the service was poor and the recommended sake was of dubious quality. Japanese restaurants that provide mediocre food of this quality give Japanese cuisine a bad name. Why the restaurant was full is beyond us. Certainly, a restaurant to avoid.

1  Thank FunTimes030
Jay K, Owner at Suminato Japanese Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded April 6, 2018

Dear FunTimes030,

Thank you for your time to review us. We are so sorry to learn about your and your guest's dining experience at SUMINATO. Whilst an apology will regrettably not alter the outcome of this experience, I, on behalf of the SUMINATO team, do extend it with all sincerity to you and your guests.

Although we are not sure which dishes or sake you are referring to, nor how the service we provided that does not meet your expectation, I will have a meeting with the management team and our Head chef to discuss on how we could improve the overall dining experience for you and our other guests. Please be assured that we take all feedback seriously both good and bad. Our aim is to provide an excellent dining experience to all of our guests through great food (both taste and quality) and warm friendly service in a great ambience.

Nevertheless, I do hope to see you and your guests again at SUMINATO so that we can have the opportunity to provide you with an experience that not only meets but exceeds your expectations.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed April 4, 2018

With another family, my family met up for dinner at this new Japanese Restaurant in Sandy Bay and we were impressed with the service, dishes, ambiance and toilet facilities. Although 2 families occupied one long table, we were able to pay bill separately. I booked the table for 7 people and even before 6 pm, the place is already buzzing with customers. The only thing we noticed is that the main dishes came first then followed by the tapas and tempuras which I did not mind for we are already eating our mains. My beef steak came as medium rare as I mentioned to the female staff and was well seasoned and all the dishes that came out of their kitchen were delicious and just like the word Suminato which means "gift of God". I will surely go back to this Restaurant to try their other dishes and drinks on their extensive menu. They can also serve vegetarian and gluten free dishes. There is also a function room towards the back of the restaurant.

Not a true Japanese restaurant - more a Chinese restaurant with a few Japanese
touches.
The sashimi and sushi are Japanese - but that's about all .... except the decor which
gives a nod to Japanese style.
Our tofu was given to the table next to us, and when ours finally arrived it was stone
cold (agadashi is a hot dish) and while they gave us another serve which was hot, the tofu blocks (unattractively presented) were inedible.
The beef slices were raw in the middle and the lamb was smothered in an
orange sauce (think Duckling a la Orange) .. perhaps it was an orange ponzu?
Slow confused service.
Think before you visit here.... unless you like raw fish and rice rolls.

2  Thank hrlga
Jay K, Owner at Suminato Japanese Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded April 24, 2018

Dear Hrlga,

Thank you for your time to review us. It is only through feedback such as yours that enables us to maintain and indeed improve the quality of our food and service we provide to all of our values guests at SUMINATO.

We are so sorry to hear about your and your guest's experience at SUMINATO. We hope you and your guests accept our sincere apology for what happened.

I have personally spoke with our Wait staff and our Head Chef regarding your experience. It has been noted that some dishes you ordered are a special order. Accordingly, I would like to use this opportunity to provide some explanations with the hope to clarify some of the experiences you had.

In the order, it was specially requested to serve 'Nasu and Tofu Agadashi' with non deep-fried tofu. Accordingly, our Head Chef tried to create Nasu and Tofu Agadashi that would have the same quality (both taste and look) as the original dish. This obviously did not go as what we expected. For 'Beef Steak', it was ordered to be served as 'medium rare'. However, the level of doneness our Head Chef cooked did not meet your expectation. With regards to 'Charcoal Grilled Lamb Cutlets', this dish is typically served in a sweet yuzu miso sauce. This sauce, as what you could guess from the name, contain citrus fruit as a main ingredient. This is why its taste somewhat gives a hint of orange.

I hope the above explanations have shed some insights on your and your guest's bad experience at SUMINATO. Nevertheless, we have taken your experience as a serious case and used it to see what we can improve in term of the quality of our food and service. It is also clear to me (through your experience) that we did not communicate well enough with you and your guest during your visit, and that attribute is amongst one of our aims we would like to achieve at SUMINATO, i.e., to bring you the very best in fine, contemporary Japanese dining for a unique experience. Both our managers and Head Chef had

Despite the above, I do hope to see you and your guest again at SUMINATO so that we can have the opportunity to provide you with an experience that not only meets but exceeds your expectations.

Once again, please accept our apology for the experience you and your guest had and we thank you for your feedback.

Kind Regards

Reviewed March 27, 2018 via mobile

Simply the best Sashimi I have ever had.
Only been open for 4 months however, the people at Suminato have really got their act together.
Superb decor, warm, friendly , efficient staff and wonderful service.
The presentation of the sashimi was WORLD CLASS.
I will find it difficult to not attend weekly.
Congratulations and I will return.

Reviewed March 6, 2018

While we had been meaning to try Suminato for a while now, it was the search for somewhere still taking orders after 8.30pm that finally led us to the King Street Japanese eatery. Ruth and I have been looking for somewhere to grab a light bite after our evening yoga session and, while not cheap, Suminato delivered. It is certainly a pleasant place to dine, with its traditional Japanese Wave and Samurai warrior wall art complimenting the light-colored pine furniture. We made a couple of very good starter choices with the Chicken Karaage from the Tapas list (7 pieces on a bed of lettuce leaves for $16), so too the delicious Renkon (Lotus Root) Crisps with a Spicy Mayo dip ($7). Ruthi again zeroed-in on the salmon dishes and may have drawn the short straw with the Sake Ikura Don ($19), not having been pre-advised that the salmon pieces would be cold, within a warm vegetable dish. A nice dish for all that. She'll try the Miso Salmon ($26) next time round. I opted for the Buta Shogayaki (Pork Belly on a Hot Pan) at $24. Naively I had presumed the dish would comprise traditional cubes or ribs of belly but the dish is based around rashers of stewed or boiled bacon in an onion-laden sauce. Again, a nice dish, but maybe not quite spicy enough for me - I'll know next time. All part of life's rich tapestry, eh? Ruthi liked the chilled draught Asahi Super lager. At $78, hardly a bargain price but we will probably go to Suminato again, knowing that we'll get a welcoming smile and a fully-available menu list, rather than a surly 'No - the kitchen's closed', at 8.45pm. A good mid-week find for us - and close to home.

1  Thank ruthandmike2015