“Great Overall”

Ranked #30 of 48 Hotels in Hobart
Gold Coast, Australia
“Great Overall”
Reviewed 4 March 2012

Was in town on business. Stayed four nights. Great rooms, very big and well appointed. Great beds. Excellent service and in very convenient location.

I rate hotels mainly be quality of sleep and I had a great nights sleep. This Hotel has loads of character and I would certainly stay at the Hotel if in Hobart again.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 27 February 2012

I ended up with this hotel as part of one of the mystery hotel bookings. I had never booked a mystery hotel before. The write up said that it was a hotel close to the harbour, so I thought you can't go wrong. To start with this hotel is on a very busy street and there is only one appropriate park for pulling up to checkin. This is where we parked to checkin. The staircase in this place is very steep and there is no lift. They ended up putting our bags in a lounge lift, after we were treated weird that we had bags (this is a hotel, most people will have bags). When we were walking to our car we were given a speech by a woman (I think one of the managers) about how we had parked. We were parked in the very narrow alley way which is also their driveway in the smallest car in the world within the marked carpark and she was given us a speech. Not a good start. This was the first ever time we had been to Hobart and we had just arrived off the plane and this is how we are welcome.
There is a VERY complicated parking system at this place as there is limited parking. There is no option to park out on the street (without paying a fortune).
Our room was awful dark and smelt like stale cigarettes (this was a non-smoking room).
In short, the place stinks and the staff are rude and weird.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
9 Thank Brisbane T
Reviewed 10 February 2012

I booked this hotel as a 'mystery deal', claiming it was 4.5 star accommodation in a luxury suite. Much to my surprise when we arrived, we were put in the cheapest room they had, in the 'new wing'. It claimed to be heritage, but our room was disgusting and pink. The staff were terribly unprofessional, and even said that if one of us slept in the 2nd bed, we would be charged extra (funny, because I was sure I paid for the room, not per head). Checkout couldn't come soon enough, and I thought that would be the last I heard of them, until I checked my credit card bill, and there was a transaction on there by the hotel, that I certainly hadn't authorised. I wrote to the hotel, and am still waiting for a response. Since I didn't use the mini bar or any other extra cost services. You can imagine my surprise. I will never stay here again, and would never reccommend this hotel to anyone, even if they were my worst enemy.

Room Tip: DO NOT USE A CREDIT CARD, or you will find some unauthorised transactions on your bill.
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
10 Thank thew0rldismyOYSTER
Reviewed 7 February 2012

I booked my room on a Wotif mystery deal, and was a little concerned when I checked the ratings with tripadvisor,there were a lot of reviews from reviewers with only one review saying how wonderful this property is and they travel a lot. If you travel a lot why only one review?

Good for location, room size (room 1), service, friendliness, cleanliness and despite being on the mainroom, my room was quite quiet because it was set back a bit, earplugs probably wouldn't go astray.

Not so good for parking, carpark very compact, little room to reverse/three point turns etc when the carpark is full. Reversing out of the narrow lane way into 4 lanes of traffic peak hour traffic isn't fun...thankfully someone was kind enough to let me reverse into the lane and out.

Didn't eat breakfast so can't comment on that, other meals are not provided.

it is probably more a bed and breakfast than hotel. Very few services are provided and reception closes 6pm. There is a reasonably priced mini bar in room.

Property is more good than average, but there isn't a good rating.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank 2shea
Gold Coast
Reviewed 23 January 2012

My husband and I spent twelve days at the Macquarie Manor and is was absolutely wonderful! The hosts were friendly, helpful, and made you feel right at home and welcome. The establishment was clean and was decorated with such unique and beautiful Edwardian decor.
The hotel is in the perfect location. Just minutes from walking to the movies, shops, cafes, and the markets. The room we stayed in was grand! Large windows that let in the fresh light, gorgeous decor, a comfy bed and lounge- perfect for relaxing and reading. I would highly recommend this establishment to anyone traveling to Hobart! My husband and I are already planning out next trip to the Manor.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 January 2012

This establishment is by far the best hotel in Hobart! The owners greet you at the door and are very hospitable. The rooms are tastefully decorated and are as clean as can be. The Maquarie Suites would be above any honeymoon Suite and the single rooms are like the penthouse anywhere else. Would not recommend any other place in Hobart.....and I have stayed
At many of them.

• Stayed January 2012
Reviewed 12 January 2012

I expected better and am sorry I didn't stay at the Lenna or Grand Chancellor. Web site is not a true reflection of what you get. Its not value for money. Our room ran off a hallway which meant the windows faced the hallway which made the room dark and the decor didn't help. You are better off staying closer to where the action is. However I understand its under new management and things might improve.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with friends