“Syra-ously Good”

Syra Restaurant
Ranked #9 of 676 Restaurants in Hobart
Price range: US$3 - US$26
Reviewed April 4, 2018 via mobile

We arrived at Syra after getting no help from Barcelona across the square, on a cool Wednesday night when their kitchen was closed by 8pm, and managed to walk in and get a table for five pretty easily. Although I’d imagine you’d need to book for this place almost every time, we were very lucky to get a great table. The service was very good, the waitstaff knew her wine selection (which was a big bonus for my “wine connoisseur/wine snob” parents) she was also very friendly, and made customer service as it should be done; nothing too difficult and with a smile. The food was excellent, great taste and flavour and came through pretty quickly as well. The chicken was delicious and cooked perfectly, and the calamari was fresh and tasty. We were in and out of the restaurant in just over an hour, full of hot delicious food and a few beers deep. I can see why they are rated in the Top 10 in Hobart, and was a blessing in disguise when we were turned away from Barcelona and fell into Syra.

1  Thank montykooge

Reviewed April 4, 2018

we didnt expect to much from a smallish low key restaurant but we were very impressed with everything ! food is middle east fusion and super tasty , service is efficient and friendly and the price is frankly too low for the food we ate .

Reviewed April 2, 2018

I wanted to love Syra, I really did...

My partner and I visited last week, and having booked a table ahead of time we were lucky enough to receive the last table; the restaurant was quite busy as expected. The fare here is middle eastern and is designed to be shared across tables, so we ordered two 'small plates' and one 'large plate', expecting it to all come out at about the same time. The two small plates we ordered were the black hummus, and the sweet potato. Both came out within about 15 mins of ordering, quite snappy considering the place was almost packed out. Both were delicious, if not a little small for the asking price (though this is Hobart, after all...), and we waited in anticipation of our large plate of 12 hour braised lamb shoulder to arrive. We waited... And waited... After an hour, just as we were preparing to ask the wait staff for the bill and to leave, the lamb arrived. It was delicious; the lamb was falling apart as expected, however the experience was marred by the fact that our small plates were all but finished, and what was left was cold.

I feel that our large plate order was forgotten, and no explanation was given. Ownership of the wait and some honest feedback would have really helped here.

I will give Syra another chance, but perhaps I'll try them when they're a little less busy.

2  Thank Karl F
Reviewed March 27, 2018

Have eaten here for both lunch and dinner several times, and with several different groups of people, and have had beautiful food and fantastic service every time. On my last visit we all shared a feed me style meal, where the chef chose dishes for us and they were delivered to the table throughout the evening, and we couldn't fault a single dish. The dishes were explained to us in a professional and friendly manner. We all left full and happy! A great night

Reviewed March 15, 2018 via mobile

Went for dinner as part of a large group (18) and were treated to a banquet. Plenty of absolutely beautiful food topped off by excellent service. I plan to return with significant other and will certainly go for the banquet again.
Don’t miss this place.