“Do not even want to go anymore!”
Review of Urban Central

Urban Central
“Do not even want to go anymore!”
Reviewed 1 April 2012

With a recommendation from a friend I enquired about booking in at Urban Central for 1 week. Don't get me wrong, it all sounds very nice but I cannot bring myself to stay somewhere with such awful customer service- and that's just over the phone!
First off, I checked online for prices and availability- both of which were good so I decided to call instead of having to register with another online company. When I spoke with the first female on reception I was told that the online price would be $30 cheaper for the week than to book over the phone. When I tried to do this, there was some sort of computer (phone) fail- so I called back to ensure the bed! I was then told give my credit card details (usually for a deposit) but this time I was to pay the entire balance before I was even in the state! I announced how unusual this was and was told that it was their policy to pay for the duration of the stay before arrival, although I had intended to pay cash on checking in. This hurdle over, I have just had to call and cancel the booking due to transport issues i.e my bus did not come and I am unsure now when I will be in Melbourne. First phone call- on hold for 5 minutes- no progress! Second phone call, I was bluntly told that I would have to pay for 2 nights - over $60. I had reasonably expected to lose one nights money, not two!
I have found that on visiting around 30 hostels in the last 6 months that policies change between establishments, but I have to say that the ones in this hostel are the worst! So although I did not even stay here I definately will not inthe future!!

• Stayed April 2012
3 Thank Svenfromswe

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 24 March 2012

After travelling from Vietnam to Australia, walking the streets of Melbourne in search of a hostel we stumbled upon Urban Central. Blatantly tired and in need of a nice clean fresh room to sleep in the lady at reception decided to put my boyfriend and I into a long stay 4 dorm room. We walked in took one look at the bomb site that looked liked it was last cleaned a year ago-food lying on the floor also, went to reception complained and then were moved to a normal room...cant believe she had the cheek to even think we'd be happy in a long stay room when there were plenty more rooms available. once in the better room the stay was OK. Seriously though I'd not recommend this to any one on the basis of the experience at reception.

Kitchen was also always busy all day long and in general the hostel had a bad vibe about it.
There are plenty more place to stay in Melbourne so shop around first.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank murbikiss_12
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 18 March 2012

I stayed here for three weeks and though the room was clean, as a rule the staff were unhelpful, and unfriendly save one or two. They seem to be burnt out and basically did not care about anything you needed or any concerns you had. Also they ripped me off saying that I did not give enugh notice when I left and that I was paying for an aextra night. I objected and then later enquired if my friend could use my bed for the night I had paid for and they admitted that they had sold it to someone else, so thay got my money plus someone elses. It was outrageous, perhaps they are on comission !! Also it has to be the loudest place I have ever stayed in my life. The freeway that runs beside the building is so loud and goes 24/7. I was as a rule unimpressed with the place, they treat you like a number and that is not good.

Room Tip: Dont stay there.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank elie L
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed 15 March 2012

Booked for one bed in a 4 bed dorm ensuite during low season (with promo rate) ended up having the whole room alone. Communal kitchen is provided on the ground floor, so you can cook yourselves. Ideal for student traveller on a tight budget. Close to tram stop, 24/7 maccas, and convenient store. Not bad.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled solo
Cork, Ireland
Reviewed 19 February 2012

Contrary to what lonely planet claims about melbourne hostels: "generally the quality of hostels in melbourne is very good", I found the opposite, the quality of melbourne hostels to be bad- high prices for dingy places- all kept boyant by the sheer numbers of travellers visiting the city.

Urban central bucks the trend. The hostel is clean, the kitchen is spacey and well run, and after trying a few hostels previous- this hostel was the best on price too. Its good to be given a sense of dignity as a fellow human being in an australian hostel for once!

Room Tip: Book early to get smaller rooms
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled with friends
Blumenau, SC
Reviewed 23 January 2012

This hostel is very clean, spartan (in a good way). Very well located, very close do a tram station that can lead you to everywhere. Yhe facility is huge, nevertheless, the rooms, with only 4 person have nice space and the security is very good. The staff is friendly. The breakfast is great. The kitchen is awesome. This hostel have a nice bar, in witch you could not only watch games (rugby and Oz football), but good parties but I could sleep very well, despite the parties. Everybody was nice with me, including the other guests. I would gladly comeback and I recommend it fore sure. If you will travel to Melbourne, make sure to check in Urban Central.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank Rafa-Brasil
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 3 January 2012

My friend and I got a double room with private ensuite and it was well worth the money. It was a clean, spacious room with a clean, tidy bathroom complete with towels. We like our privacy so it was nice to have our own space. Very friendly staff and nice open kitchen/eating area to mingle with other visitors. Also the free breakfast (and free rice/pasta) is great bonus! Only complaint is that it is a bit farther out from most places and you have to walk a bit, but then again the transportation system in Melbourne really isn't the greatest.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends