4,315 results
All reviews mr hive luxe room infinity pool casino complex valet parking pre dinner drinks shower and toilet steam room floor to ceiling windows top floor room service buffet breakfast city view modern hotel corner room south bank yarra river
Reviewed May 18, 2010

For a crown type hotel in the crown complex, it was a so so. This can't be a 5 star? Maybe 4 or 4.5 at best.
Like other reviewer, i think Crown Tower and Crown promenade are wayyy better place to stay than Metropol.
If you want extravagant luxury in a room, i'd go with Crown Tower. If i just want to stay in Melbourne with my family or for business, i'd go with Crown Promenade. I don't really find Metropol anything more than average.

I was here on the long weekend too, I stayed for one night. Checked in Friday, checked out Saturday. Queued to check in, queued to check out.
The queue to check in was horrid. Seriously horrid.

The room itself is nicely decorated but average. Since i got this room at an opening special for $250 (twin room), it was definitely good value but i definitely wouldn't pay full price for it. I would however pay full price for Crown Towers because it's worth every penny.

I requested extra pillows through the phone. Waited for over 2 hours and no luck. Gave up. So we went to dinner and came back. Pillow never arrived. No turn down service either. Ok whatever. I already gave up hoping at this point.

Aircon was really loud, i found it hard to sleep. So definitely avoid if light sleeper. Or you could just turn the fan off and be stuffy. Your choice.

Bed was quite average, it's not as wonderful as some other beds in town but it was bearable, if only my pillows ever arrived. If only!

No one told me you could go from Level 1, in fact i still haven't tried going through Level 1 to get to the complex. But if i could, it probably would have been a long walk wouldn't it?
That might be why the concierge told me i should just cross the road. Maybe i'm spoiled by the fact that with Tower i can just take the lift down, and with Promenade, i can just access through the skywalk. Maybe.. just maybe.

Overall experience, it was a so so. I may give this hotel another go seeing before they were probably busy with openings and what not. I really hope to be proven wrong or i will just stay somewhere else.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled with friends
1  Thank madarame_baby
Reviewed May 9, 2010

arrived at 12noon,second in line for reservation in our room all within 15 min. staff at desk great, my husband told the girl at reception it was our 45th wedding anniversary so when in our beautiful room the champagne and chockies arrived (thanks Metropole and to the girl on the desk). The bed was to die for it was so comfortable and huge and the room was modern and spacious and very clean. Thanks to all the staff. We were in the Luxe room on the 15th floor- no complaints from my husband and I .Food and wine outside in the resturants VERY expensive for what you get but was delicious.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed May 4, 2010

We booked a room with Metropol we'd usually stay at promenade and have had no problems what so ever staying there, we decided to give the metropol a go and see what it was like.
The problems started as soon as we entered the queue, the line was long, it was 4pm, by the time we got to the front of the line the person who was working asked for our booking name, I advised him of the name and handed my signature card to him, I was then told that there were no King rooms available and would a queen room do I said no I booked a King room and thats what I want.
Some time passed and we were advised that a room had become available and he needed to swipe our credit card for incidentals.
We went up to our room, very modern, comfy, began to forget about the problems with check in, we went about what we had to do and enjoyed the room.
Well check out was a nightamare, same long queue, waited in line for over an hour, gave the person on the desk our room key and advised we were checking out, gave our credit card and we were advised we had insufficent funds, i thought this was very strange as we dont use it very often and i knew there were plenty of funds on the card, I paid via my own keycard in the end.
Upon further investigation after arriving home I found that when we had checked in the guy had charged the room to our credit card twice, and also charged the incidentals twice as well, any wonder I didnt have enough on my credit card to pay for the room.
I called the hotel to as what had happened and was advised they didnt have any record that they had charged my credit card, I had to prove it !!!!
After lots of running around, a dozen phone calls, and almost two weeks I have my money back.
I wouldn't recommend to any of my family or friends stay at metropol, it seems the staff have no clue what they are doing and there systems are flawed....

Reviewed April 27, 2010

Admittedly it was a long weekend and the hotel has only been open for 2 weeks but we had problems from the start until the finish! Check in was a nightmare. We arrived at 1.30, left our car & bags with valet and thought we would check in. Unfortunately the queue was already quite long so we decided to go and have lunch at Rockpool. We arrived back at the hotel just after 3.30 and the queue was even longer. It took about 25 minutes to get to the front desk to be told that our room would not be ready for another hour i.e. around 5 pm. We asked if you could go up to the spa area on the 27th floor and wait as we both needed to use a bathroom. It was unbelievably crowded up there with many people waiting for their rooms. The pool area was also full. We did eventually get our room just after 4.30 pm.

The room itself on the 26th floor was nice but nothing really special. Good size room, full length windows, separate toilet and shower (no bath). The shower didn't drain very well. Nice view of the city (and the car park) and very quiet other than occasional noise from above which we assumed was from the pool. Usual ininteresting mini bar items and water had to be paid for at $6.00 and $8.00 a bottle.

Breakfast in the Maze Grill was average - as per other reviewers. The usual hotel buffet which lacked the oriental style extras you get at other hotels. I requested gluten free toast which they happily arranged for me. Coffee was hot which was a bonus. I found the service here to be good. Cost was about $32.00 a head I think.

We only stayed one night and booked through Wotif for approx $220 which was good value. If we had paid rack rate we would have been extremely unhappy.

Upon checkout we had to queue once more while my husband went to get the car from valet - they told him it would be 25 minutes!! When I reminded him he had a plane to catch he went back and requested they put in a priority for the car which they did do and it was there in 10 minutes. When I reached the front of the queue there was a guy asking if we would like Express Checkout - which we happily did. Perhaps he should have been standing at the other end of the queue?? Anyway I filled out the form, took my husband to the airport and that afternoon received a call from the hotel advising I had an outstanding account!!!!! They had no record of either my credit card or my express checkout. Did they think I had absconded without paying, I wondered.

I do love spending a night in the city as a special treat but I dont think I would stay here again, although I would like to try the Maze restaurant some time.

Reviewed April 26, 2010

Went to check in at 2pm, was told the room was ready but needed a final check and they would call me. No phone call so I went back at 4 (we had plans at 5:30 and wanted to shower, change and relax for a bit), this time we were told our room wasn't even clean yet. We finally managed to get in at 5pm, only left us enough time to spray some deoderant, unpack and then head out!

We were not the only one who had issues checking in either!

Upon returning to the room at midnight we noticed that we had a message to call reception. I called reception and was advised that the person i needed to speak to was unavailable and would call the room back shortly. After waiting until 1am I decided that I wasn't going to wait up all night waiting for the call so I ran again, this time I got to speak to the appropriate staff member who advised they were never told I called back and on top of this had no notes as to why I needed to call in the first place!

The rooms were nice but nowhere near as luxurious as Crown Towers (which is one of the best places I have ever stayed!). I left feeling frustrated and fairly disappointed with what was supposed to be a 5 star hotel.