“Very Good Hotel”

Crowne Plaza Melbourne
Ranked #80 of 162 Hotels in Melbourne
Reviewed 11 March 2012

I stayed here for a night. The hotel was comfortable, the room spacious, room service good - so an overall good experience. my only gripe is the cost of internet/wifi - which is the same in all Aussie hotels - they need to change this!

1  Thank Polycarp L

Reviewed 10 March 2012

Good location opposite Crown Casino with late night food at food court available. Walking distance to Direct Factory Outlet next to Hilton. Free wifi for 30 mins daily at looby area is good for a quick check for email.

Room Tip: Request for river facing room. Can see fire display in front of Crown on hourly basis every night
Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 9 March 2012

There isn't anything to complain about, but there isn't exactly anything that makes it spectacular either.

The lobby was nice, the rooms were clean, and the staff were friendly enough. The location was good, there was free Foxtel, free internet in the lobby (not Wifi), and my room was opposite the Crowne Casino with a very good view.

The pool was quite small & mediocre.

You're not going to have a bad time here, but perhaps for the price you may be able to find something better?

Room Tip: When you book a room with views opposite the Crowne Casino, at night you can see some fantastic flam...
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Cupboard F
Reviewed 2 March 2012

Sure, it's a good place to stay if you think the Crown Towers is a scam. But having to pay $22 for a day usage of internet connection is a bummer. Wifi in the room was extremely slow too (well, I used the LAN cable so it didn't really matter). Did not have breakfast since I had to leave extremely early in the morning. Lines for the taxi (in the afternoon) was quite long, but I guess you don't really have to be in a hurry in Melbourne. All in all, the facilities are "good" if staying for business. I guess a 5 minute walk to the Crown Casinos is a plus, but not worth much if you don't gamble. Would stay again, but won't be extremely excited to do so.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
IHG_Hotel, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Melbourne, responded to this reviewResponded 7 March 2012

Dear Fakeis,

Thank you for your review of Crowne Plaza Melbourne on TripAdvisor.

We acknowledge that our guest room internet services are not free of charge, however we are committed to ensuring that our pricing remains competitive with other Melbourne hotels.
Currently we also offer 30 mins complimentary wifi in our Lobby Bar as well as 30 mins complimentary access in our Business Centre. As a more cost effective alternative to $22.50 for 24 hour access, there is a $10 option for 2 hours in our guest rooms.

It is a pity that you didn't have an opportunity to enjoy breakfast with us in our restaurant. Besides our extensive hot and cold buffet, on most days our we have a special egg station with one of our chefs preparing eggs and omelettes to order for our guests.

In addtion to our proximity to the Casino, the Southbank precinct also offers shopping, dining, cinemas and the Melbourne Aquarium.

Thanks again for reviewing Crowne Plaza Melbourne, and we hope to welcome you back next time you are in Melbourne to see all that our wonderful city offers.

Regards
Crowne Plaza Melbourne Management Team

Reviewed 2 March 2012

If you stay at the Crowne Plaza in Melbourne (as I did for 3 nights on business last week) you can expect to firstly be impressed by the wide open spaces of the lobby, which has a great buzz with people (including celebrities) coming and going and meeting each other, and overflowing from the bar and downstairs restaurant. It's a really great place for people watching as you wait on one of the many couches, and gives a good vibe to the hotel. The service is everything you'd expect from a 4.5 star hotel as well, although I did have to make a long return trip to reception when my room key didn't work the first time.

After a trek to the elevators, which are in a very strange place relative to the lobby, you will catch your first glimpse of the wonderful view east down the Yarra. Definitely ask for a room that has that view towards Flinders Station, as it's one of the best outlooks in Melbourne and certainly beats anything else I've had from a Melbourne hotel.

The rooms themselves are what let this hotel down. Some have mentioned modern rooms and amenities - well, I don't consider an old bathtub with a dingy shower curtain a modern amenity. These are old and small bathrooms that don't do a lot of justice to a 4.5 star hotel. I don't really know what Crowne will do with them if they decide to upgrade, because there just isn't the room to install large modern shower cubicles - but I do hope they try something. Perhaps there are some renovated rooms with more modern showers, but my three colleagues travelling with me all said the same thing about their rooms, especially the bathrooms.

Bathrooms aside, the rooms are about average for this class of hotel. Not new, not modern, spacious but not huge, good comfortable beds, everything is there, clean and in working order. TVs are ok but not new high definition TVs like the Stamford Plaza have in their rooms. Big windows with effective blackout curtains give you the choice of enjoying the view or getting an uninterrupted sleep.

I personally found the fitness room a disappointment - it is small and stuffy, and not one of the better ones I've seen in this hotel class. But there are enough treadmills and crosstrainers to do the job, as well as light free weights up to 10kg and an exercise station that allows most muscle groups to be worked out. The NSW Waratahs were staying at the hotel while I was there, but they would not have been training in that gym!

Location is good on the whole; it would be better to be closer to the eastern end of the CBD for nightlife, but then you have the view along the river towards Flinders Station which is fantastic. It's about a 15 minute walk to the Swanson which is fine on a good day/night but not if Melbourne is wet and cold as it often is. Then again, there are trams etc which make for an easy alternative.

The breakfast buffet was very good downstairs, one of the better ones I've visited.

I would conclude that this is one of several 'ok' options for a short business stay, not so much for a romantic vacation. But it is not, in my view, value for money at the advertised rates I see at around AUD265 a night for a studio room. To stay there again, I would be looking for a rate more like 225 otherwise I would prefer somewhere like the Stamford Plaza over the other side of town.

Room Tip: Definitely ask for a room facing east towards Flinders Station, level 6 or above
Reviewed 28 February 2012

I saw the below reviews "Home away from home" title and I believe this is a perfect way of putting Crowne. I stay here at least 15 nights per year as our business home base is in Melbourne.

The service is alway friendly and prompt. The staff always have my frwquent flyer and priority club number and details loaded and occasionally leave gifts in the room - last time I was pleasantly surprised to be given the option of a bonus points, alcohl or a snack as part of my free priority club membership - given that I was arriving late and checking out early I appreciated this as I would not have partaken of a drink in any case!

The atmosphere is familiar and cozy. The staff are friendly and Stan in valet parking is a familiar sight everytime and remembers his guests and regulars, this is well appreciated. Location is good in proximity to Yarra side dining and the casino for a punt.

Food is usually of high quality, however a more expansive menu or more regular changes would be welcomed (many small motels/hotels have a more comprehensive menu) but is almost always tasty and arrives withint prescribed timeframe.

The charge for internet is horrible, as is the limitation on downloads that an hour on youtube or big e-mail downloads chews up quickly.... But given this is my only real gripe (and work pays for it) no big deal, however a large number of major North QLD hotel chains are including unlimited internet usage as part of accomodation package, which is something I would see as appropriate for the price charged.

As I have stated in other reviews, I go into the room and shut the curtains, usually being there for work or to sleep. Views mean little however they are always open to changing rooms to give you a good view of the river etc.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business

Dear David Q,

We want to thank you for submitting a review on TripAdvisor after your recent stay at Crowne Plaza Melbourne.

Your comments about your regular visits are welcomed, and we are genuinely happy to hear that you enjoy staying with us.

Our menu is updated seasonally and our Food & Beverage Department are always open to feedback from our guests, and this will be passed on to them for the planning of future menus.

Internet pricing is always something we are looking at, and we hope that you are taking advantage of our 30 minute complimentary wifi in the Lobby Bar.

Again, we are really pleased that our hotel is your "home away from home" and we hope to continue welcoming you back to Crowne Plaza Melbourne.

Regards,

Crowne Plaza Melbourne Management Team

Reviewed 28 February 2012

I am down in Melbourne frequently for business and can have stays of over 4 nights at a time. The Crowne is my choice, it's in a great location, some good views from the rooms dependent which side of the hotel your on. The staff are always great and friendly. Last night the hotel put on a free cocktails and Canapés in the lobby bar for guests. This was a great touch. The restaurant downstairs serves up a great meal and the one thing I do like is the kitchen will even cook you up something if it's not on the menu and they will cook it for you if they have the ingredients. Can't fault the food at all. The happy hour from 4-6 every evening is a nice touch also.

• Stayed: February 2012