“Splendid”

InterContinental Melbourne The Rialto
Ranked #49 of 161 Hotels in Melbourne
Reviewed 31 March 2011

Stayed at the Rialto for 2 nights last month. On entering the hotel I felt it looked rather like a prison with its interior corridors and lack of natural light.. However, the quality of service more than compensated for my inital negative perception.
The stay was remarkable. The staff, particularly Kisher Narayanamurthi, Guest Relations, made our stay very special and memorable. We expessed an interest in the hotel's bee keeping project and were introduced to the enthusiastic chef, Nick Reade, who told us all about this green initiative.
Apart from the lack of natural daylight in the room, I can not fault my stay and feel that the staff make this hotel special.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
Management response:Responded 5 April 2011

Thank you for taking the time to share the experience you had at the hotel. The hotel has had quite a colourful history, although not a prison the hotel was once wool and wheat stores during the prosperous times after the gold rush, it the later years it was also used as an artists retreat.
We are so glad that our team was able to share with your their passion for beekeeping and please be assured that both Kishor and Nick will be congratulated for helping to make your stay so special.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the InterContinental Melbourne The Rialto.

Joerg T. Boeckeler

Write a ReviewReviews (2,241)

Reviewed 30 March 2011

Perfectly located and great service. The type of service you don't need to ask for - they seem to know what you need. Great location.

Management response:Responded 5 April 2011

Thank you for your feedback and kind words about the service you received in the hotel. We look forward to welcoming you back to InterContinental Melbourne The Rialto.

Reviewed 28 March 2011

we arrived Melbourne as the start of our Oz trip. we arrived the hotel in the evening with 3 suitcases, no bellboy came out to help us. finally managed to bring them to checkin desk. We were not told about the free tram when asked for direction
Room as ready and upgraded to a 1 bed suite. room is large and very lovely spa with seperate shower room. there is a TV on the wall in the toilet but could not figure out how to turn it on. The bed is comfly but would be nice if it is bigger.
In the morning, the 1st thing i had was a fall from my room to living room. there are a few step but it is fitted in carpet so i was like sking in the room. it is vert hurt and coould not lift anything even a month after we came home. I told the reception that about the fall in the room but no one offer doctor or incident report form to fill.
After we came back from the excursion, i noticed my own hair brush whch i bought only few days ago was missing but replaced by the hotel's own one. My own toothbrush happened to be the same.
On check out when I mentioned the fall and the missing items, they did not response but only asked of anything taken from the mini bar abd yes I did because i am a royal ambassador & mini bar is free!

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
6  Thank sbwsbw
Management response:Responded 5 April 2011

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent visit.
I was disappointed to note that we failed to provide the level of service we expect to deliver on at InterContinental Melbourne The Rialto.
Rest assured that your feedback is taken seriously and as such we have implemented appropriate training measures to ensure the points you have raised are addressed with our teams.
As a Royal Ambassador we value your patronage and feedback and do look forward to welcoming you back to enjoy a more seamless experience.

Reviewed 27 March 2011

I stay at this hotel regularly for work and during my last stay I noticed a distinct improvement in attitude, attentiveness and interaction with staff. Staff were very helpful and the attention to detail had improved considerably. The staff seemed to have much more of a spring in their step and a keeness to assist. I feel they still have a way to go with the food, which is patchy. I was attending a conference and some of the offerings for morning tea tasted stale, or maybe they had been frozen, and some dishes at the buffet could be improved. Overall though, this hotel seems to be making a real effort.

Management response:Responded 5 April 2011

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback. We strive to continually better ourselves and aim to be better today than we were yesterday and even better tomorrow.
We are so glad that you enjoyed your stay and thank you for noticing the efforts that we are making to be the best hotel in Melbourne.

Reviewed 20 March 2011

I was taken aback on arrival when I checked in, the building was just beautiful, very different from what I was expecting and everywhere else I have stayed. The staff were friendly and helpful, I was there for almost a week and i'm sure every time I walked past someone they smiled and said hello to me. The bed was heaven, slept like a baby every night. Will be returning next month and I look forward to staying there again.

2  Thank jdonnelly11

Dear jdonnelly11,

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your kind review. We are so glad that you enjoyed your time at the hotel.

Joerg T, Boeckeler

Reviewed 11 March 2011

I recently stayed at the Intercontinental in Melboure for 14 days and every day of it was wonderful. The staff courteous and extremely helpful. As a planner for a major event in Melbourne they assisted me in getting large amounts of work done even though they were not required to. Their Guest Relations Manager, Kishor, is exactly the right person to have in a job dealing with guests. He is an expert and knowing how to best take care of his guests.

In addition to helping with my group, they also took care of my family and many others who were there as part of our group. Everything from babysitting to assistance in car rentals and advice for dinner was superb.

I have stayed in many hotels world wide and several in Melbourne and I have to say that my experience at the Intercontinental in Melbourne was the best I have ever had.

1  Thank Miltary_Traveler

Dear Miltary_Traveler,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a kind review. Kishor is indeed an asset to our team and we are lucky to have him, please be assured i have also congratulated him on the great feedback you have given him.

Reviewed 9 March 2011

I've stayed at this property numerous times and for the first time I felt I belonged. The staff are engaging so much more, the vibe has noticably improved this time around; I have stayed many times since August 2009.
Nothing was too much trouble for staff; it was easy, happy and it felt homely. I love the industrial feel of the building and the staff now give it the warm that radiates and give it life. Love that they offer canapes at the Club lounge in the evenings with your drinks.
Check out the spa, it rocks!

Dear LadyTraveller63,
Thank you so much for taking the time to share your review. We do always strive to better tomorrow than we were today and appreciate that you have noticed this shift within the hotel.

We look forward to welcoming you back another time to wow you again.