“Wow, love the service”

InterContinental Melbourne The Rialto
Ranked #49 of 161 Hotels in Melbourne
Reviewed 26 March 2012

Not my first stay, not my last one....
From the checkin to the check out (unfortunately), we have been impressed by the level of service. Check in was flawless and very professional.... Lucky on that day, we have been upgraded to a larger room for two days. Room was large enough to play hide and seek.

Bed very comfy, large enough for two personns even sleeping in diagonal.
Good idea for the lovers: the tab in the bath tub is on the side.

If you have to work, internet access is compatible with IPass. It makes everyhting much easier.

Gym is ok, and I like the view from the swimming pool. (keep in mind, we are in Melbourne, not Singapore).

The building has been restored with taste and attention to details. It looks stunning!

We will be back for sure

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank axelgfrsyd
InterConMelb, General Manager at InterContinental Melbourne The Rialto, responded to this reviewResponded 26 March 2012

Dear agregoire,
Thank you very much for taking the time to share with me your lovely review. I was so happy to read that you had such a great experience during your recent stay and that you were impressed by the level of service that you received from the hotel team.
We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel again.
Joerg T. Boeckeler

Write a ReviewReviews (2,241)

Reviewed 25 March 2012

I've stayed at this hotel on six occasions now and have been left very satisfied with this property each and every time. Such consistency is indeed a rare commidity in most Australian properties.

Firstly the public areas of the hotel are architecturally stunning. The rooms themselves are also beautifully appointed with all the modern amenities one expects from a 5 star hotel and more. I particularly like the generous walk in showers over those crappy half sized bath tubs found in comparable properties (eg IC Sydney). The beds are also very comfortable and coupled with the light-blocking curtains results in a great sleep each and every time.

I recently treated myself to the club lounge for the first time and was pleasantly surprised. Whilst there are no views I found the quality of food and beverage to be fantastic with breakfast offerings such as eggs to order, cooked mushrooms, tomatoes, sausages etc along with a high quality continental spread. Both the afternoon tea and dinner drinks were very good and really enjoyed the tasting platter. Service was also top notch- ultra professional staff that were eager to please yet laid back as well. I've never felt so comfortable and at home in a club lounge before.

Service at this hotel is top notch- any requests from "instant service" are always dealt with promptly and room service has always been timely and enjoyable too. Can't fault the place so far and hope it remains that way!

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Tony A

Dear Tony A,
Thank you very much for sharing with me your wonderful review. Our Club InterContinental Lounge is indeed a very special and indulgent place and I am glad that you enjoyed it so much.
I was particularly happy to read your glowing comments regarding the hotel team and the high level of service you have received, I will be sure to pass this feedback on to them.
We are very motivated to keep a strong focus on on our service culture and colleague engagement within the hotel and I can assure you that we will continue to work very hard on this and I believe that you will continue to notice improvements.
The entire hotel looks forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed 24 March 2012

I come to Melbourne a couple of time a year for business and I will never stay anywhere else but the InterCon apart from the fact that it is so close to my Melbourne office, The entire Hotel feels like a home away from home. I love that the rooms face into the beautiful light filled atrium and I don't have to look out onto a car park or into another building. I decided last week to get access to their club lounge for the first time which was amazing, read the paper in the morning, watched the news just like at home. The staff in the lounge told me that they also had evening drinks, perfect way to finish off the working day.

I have also noticed a change in how helpful and nice the staff are, prior to this stay I had not stayed in 6 months so I don't really remember but the staff were amazingly helpful and so lovely even retrieving my phone charger from my room after I had checked out.

Room Tip: Make sure you get access to Club! Well worth it.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank Sunsunshine
InterConMelb, General Manager at InterContinental Melbourne The Rialto, responded to this reviewResponded 28 March 2012

Dear Sunsunshine,
Thank you for sharing with me your generous feedback. It warmed my heart to read that we have been able to make you feel so at home while you are in the hotel. Our Club InterContinental Lounge is indeed a very special place and may I mention also serves breakfast and afternoon tea. Wifi in the Lounge is also included and you can even borrow an iPad - the perfect place to relax or work!
The entire hotel team looks forward to welcoming you back to the hotel again soon.

Reviewed 23 March 2012

I treated myself and my partner to a few nights in the Rialto in a Club room as I was celebrating my 40th birthday. The hotel itself is a stunning building with loads of character, the rooms are a good size with decent specification and the club lounge very welcoming.
My only suggestion for improvement would have been if the hotel had realised it was my birthday and perhaps sent a card to the room. I did give many clues such as filling in my DOB at check in, being a priority club member and having a few dozen birthday cards on display in the room. A small point maybe but sometimes these things make a big difference.

Stayed: March 2012
3  Thank Chris-HK72
InterConMelb, General Manager at InterContinental Melbourne The Rialto, responded to this reviewResponded 29 March 2012

Dear Chris-HK72,
Thank you for your kind review and may I wish you a very happy birthday! Please accept my sincere apologies that we did not realise this was your birthday trip, despite all the clues that you gave.
Please allow me to make up for this oversight and please contact me directly to make a booking in the future. I will ensure that a belated bottle of champagne is placed in your room.
I do hope to welcome you back to the hotel again, ideally for another special occasion so that we may help you to truly celebrate.

Reviewed 21 March 2012

When you stay in hotels a lot it comes down to three things: the location, the facility and the staff. The first two are great here and the building is genuinely beautiful. Super swimming pool, central location and so on. If there is a problem its the staff and management. This hotel does not have the people it deserves. I had a series of small problems which took a LOT of energy sapping effort and persistence to resolve each time. Nevertheless, it a stunning property.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
4  Thank Well_travelled_Dad

Dear Well_travelled_Dad,
Thank you for taking the time to share with me your feedback. I was saddened to read that your experience was not perfect, which I can assure you is not what we strive to deliver.
We intend to deliver a consistently seamless service experience to our guests and keep any problems and distractions from you. Therefore we are very focused on engaging with our guests and encouraging them to engage with us.
I am so sorry that we did not deliver on this service promise and I would love to meet with you when you return to ensure that not only our location and facilities are as wonderful as expected, but our colleagues too.
I do hope to welcome you back to the hotel at another time so that you may have a more seamless experience.

Reviewed 19 March 2012

My favorite hotel in Australia!
I travel interstate almost every two weeks and the team at the Rialto are amazing. Considering the size of the hotel they still treat you as a name, not a room number. The rooms are superior and the service is to match...
All they need now is an upgraded hotel lobby bar and they would be in world class.

Your just a stones throw away from all of melbournes amazing nightlife..

I highly recommend you stay there!!!

Room Tip: 328 is unreal, however don't expect a view, this hotel is in an old building where the top end...
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank MsABSOLUTVODKA
InterConMelb, General Manager at InterContinental Melbourne The Rialto, responded to this reviewResponded 20 March 2012

Dear MsABSOLUTVODKA,
Thank you very much for your kind review, I would be interested to hear your thoughts about Market Lane Bar, and I would like to invite you to provide me with more information should you wish to do so. I will message you my email address and I hope to hear from you.
We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel again soon.

Reviewed 18 March 2012

I have read a number of the reviews on the hotel and agree with some comments made but all in all we had a great experience at the Intercontinental. I found the staff friendly and helpful, the concierge desk was able to point us in the right direction for dining and shopping with a map provided. The check in was prompt and easy and our luggage was brought to our room quickly. We also liked the remote control blinds, the history of the building and the way it had been converted to accommodate the hotel. Our only gripe - we agreed that the main restaurant was chilly - too chilly for evening dining (thank goodness for Merchant tucked away just off reception). We also felt breakfast was expensive compared to other hotels even for a continental option but the food was nice. I also agree that some aspects of the breakfast buffet needed replenishing with more enthusiasm and more promptly but this didn't detract from our overall stay and it is certainly a great place to use Priority Privilege vouchers. The room and bed were comfy and having a normal shower instead of the over the bath affairs that you see in many Crowne Plaza's was a bonus (would have just preferred the setting wasn't on the dumper option instead of the wall option as I got caught out with that). All in all, I would stay here again and who really needs a room with a view when most of the time you are just there to sleep - appreciate the history of the place and take time to look at some of the old photos and plans. We also took advantage of the business centre which had free internet access and can sometimes be better than bothering with wifi.

Room Tip: Higher up is better
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank NZTraveller20

Dear NZTraveller20,
Thank you for taking the time to share with me your thorough review and thank you for your feedback regarding the air conditioning in Alluvial Restaurant, I will certainly share this with the engineering team.
We hope to welcome you back to the hotel again soon.