“A magical combination of service*, location, facilities.”

InterContinental Melbourne The Rialto
Ranked #49 of 161 Hotels in Melbourne
Reviewed 3 January 2013

I stayed at this hotel recently whilst holidaying in Melbourne. Over the 4-day period, I was treated to service that exceeded my expectations (please keep up the great work!), and a sophisticated but cosy ambience that was second to none. Aspects of the service that were outstanding included: front desk staff, concierge, door staff ... all guests were greeted warmly and requests attended to promptly and courteously. In fact, when I enquired about a particular restaurent in the vicinity, the Concierge took great effort to locate it (being as I only had the vaguest possible description at hand), provided me with some alternatives, and then offered to complete the process by booking a table at one. As I travel frequently and have been exposed to many different levels of service (from the mundanely obligatory to the genuinely warm), this was indeed a welcome quality. The facilities and location of the hotel speak for themselves and actually live up to the glossy pictures. So impressed was I that I persuaded myself to join the Intercontinental's Ambassador Program. I can only hope that the staff and facilities in other locations match the very pleasing experience I had with the Rialto.

1  Thank 86Business_Traveller
InterContinenta... M, General Manager at InterContinental Melbourne The Rialto, responded to this reviewResponded 6 January 2013

Dear 86Business_Traveller,

I am so glad you enjoyed your stay and I thank you for taking the time to share your review. I will be sure to pass on your feedback to the team and look forward to welcoming you back as an Ambassador when next you visit.

Joerg T. Boeckeler

Write a ReviewReviews (2,241)

Reviewed 3 January 2013

We stayed for the first time in a year. They valet parked our car and the doorman took us and our bag to the room. For the first time, the doorman explained the functions in the room. I found this helpful. Great location. To south bank. Easy walking distance to south bank and Bourke street. Quiet location. We were upgraded to a king size suite.

• Stayed: January 2013

Dear Biggav1965,

Thank you for taking the time to share your review. I am glad you enjoyed your stay and look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed 2 January 2013

I really enjoyed my stay at InterContinental Melbourne and it definitely fits the highest standard category of IHC group's hotel. The service was fantastic, everybody very attentive and truly concerned with the client. The main lobby is very impressive, nicely mixing traditional architecture with modern furnishings. I stayed in the King Executive Room on the Ambassador floor. The rooms are nicely appointed, offer ample space and all necessary amenities. If there is anything to complain about then it would be the weird location of the TV set which somehow has been placed between the two windows and to the right side (at least in my room) of the bed. This awkward positioning takes a little bit of the sunlight as well as requires some gymnastics if you intend to watch TV for some more extensive time. Also, I had an impression that the bathroom may require some refurbishing, it was not dirty or broken but the walk-in shower had a slightly moldy smell. This is still a great hotel and I would definitely come back.

1  Thank LW23
InterContinenta... M, General Manager at InterContinental Melbourne The Rialto, responded to this reviewResponded 3 January 2013

Dear LW23,

Thank you for your generous review. I am so glad you enjoyed your stay! I have taken your feedback under consideration and will follow it up with the team. In the mean time I look forward to having the opportunity to welcome you back soon!

Reviewed 2 January 2013

The hotel is in all aspects one of the best we've ever stayed at. In terms of design, location, facilities but even more important the friendliness of the staff, hotel deserves the highest recognition. It is so obvious that the management team is doing a great job.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple

Dear GerasimosFerentinos,

Thank you so much for your kind review. I am so glad you enjoyed such an excellent experience and I will be sure to pass your feedback on to the team. I hope I have the opportunity to welcome you back soon!

Reviewed 31 December 2012

We chose to stay here because we were going to a New Year’s Eve banquet at the Vue du Monde which is the restaurant in the adjoining building, and we did not want the hassle of trying to find a taxi just after midnight.

The location is superb, and it’s a lovely old hotel with a lot of history. Because it is old the rooms are nothing special but they are clean and comfortable. What especially impressed us was the staff who all went out of their way to help us in any way they could.

The only criticism I have is their attitude to newspapers. As an Ambassador member I am supposed to be entitled to a free newspaper each day but they said this did not extend to the Australian which is Australia’s national newspaper! Furthermore, each morning they forgot to bring the Australian.

Dear Noel100,

Thank you for taking the time to share your kind review, I am so glad you enjoyed your stay. We sincerely appreciate the feedback of our guests and I have taken your feedback into consideration. I look forward to welcoming you back in the future!

Reviewed 30 December 2012

Recently stayed at The Rialto in a King Club Room. Valet parking was $50 per night. Check in was fast and efficient.

Our room was on level 5 and was absolutely perfect. I especially liked soaking in the spa bath for over an hour while watching the TV in the bathroom. The towels and toiletries were both very good quality.

The Club Lounge staff were very good, but a few things should be looked at:
. we were surprised to see children in there (as it was our weekend away from children),
. the small round tables are not big enough for breakfast plates,
. if you are a couple, the chairs are too far apart as the furniture layout suggests people sit facing each other.
On the second night we saw people being turned away as the Lounge was full. The Lounge on both our nights was full by 6pm.

The doormen were very friendly and helpful with directions and tram numbers.
The staff in the bar downstairs were also friendly and helpful.

My only disappointment was our room was close to the lift and at night we heard every time the lift went up and down, and other patrons walking to their room.

Room Tip: Try not to get room 525 near the lifts.
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
InterContinenta... M, Manager at InterContinental Melbourne The Rialto, responded to this reviewResponded 8 February 2014

Dear Batt2,

Thank you for taking the opportunity to share your kind review.

I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay at the hotel in particular your room which you found extremely quiet and very comfortable. It is also lovely to hear that my colleagues were extremely helpful. I will be sure to share this feedback with the team.

I hope on your next visit to Australia we have the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel.

Sebastian Germershausen
Executive Assistant Manager

Reviewed 19 December 2012

I stayed at this hotel some time ago but feel it is necessary to review it once more. This is because sometimes one has a good experience due to everything working out right for your visit, excellent staff, excellent food, excellent facilities, and so on.

When you visit once more, maybe it is not so good. In my case, the second visit was even better than the first! The staff are just as friendly and helpful, the food just as good, and this time we had the opportunity of using the pool on the top level.

This has to be one of the best setings for an indoor pool with a beautiful garden of herbs, citrus trees, flowers and vegetables growing just outside. The pool itself is big and just the right temperature and the facilities are great.

Breakfast in the Club is a treat with plenty of variety of wholesome and healthy food.

Valet parking is expensive but efficient and I suppose worthwhile when you consider the location is slap bang in the busy thoroughfare of Collins Street.

It is a great location - ten minutes one way to all the leading Melbourne stores and five minutes the other way to Spencer Street station and across the bridge to Southbank.

4  Thank WellTravelledAussie2
InterContinenta... M, General Manager at InterContinental Melbourne The Rialto, responded to this reviewResponded 20 December 2012

Dear WellTravelledAussie2,

I am so glad you enjoyed your second stay with and I thank you for taking the time to share your review. It is always our aim to provide consistently high standards of service however it is excellent to hear when we have improved visit to visit. I look forward to welcoming you back in the future!