InterContinental Melbourne The Rialto
Ranked #49 of 161 Hotels in Melbourne
Reviewed 11 December 2017

Stayed here on the 6th floor and we were impressed with the service it was very good .
The architect is beautiful its a shame that we could only stay for the night but we will be back as we loved it. It was very late by the time we got in but the staff were cheerful.

• Stayed: December 2017, travelled with family
InterContinentalMlb, Manager at InterContinental Melbourne The Rialto, responded to this reviewResponded 13 December 2017

Dear wonderer951,

Thank you so much for sharing your kind review from your recent stay with us in Melbourne. I am so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and the service from our team.

Thank you again for taking the time to give us your feedback. I hope that we might have the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel again soon.

Chief Concierge

Write a ReviewReviews (2,239)

Reviewed 10 December 2017

My husband and I stayed here for only 1 night.

As we arrived on an early flight we dropped our bags in so we could enjoy our day. We found the staff very polite and friendly and nothing was too much trouble for them.

After a day of shopping we returned to the hotel, check in was completed quickly and our bags had already been delivered to our room.

The room was very comfortable and clean we could not fault it at all.

The location is in walking distance to most attractions and if you are not up to walking then the tram is just outside

Before venturing out a night staff were able to provide us with the best options for transport to our function. They provided us with maps etc to ensure we knew where we were going.

Whilst we didn't eat at the hotel the dining area looked fantastic.

Checkout was completed very quickly and again the staff were very polite and professional.

I would certainly stay here again

• Stayed: December 2017, travelled as a couple

Dear Donna1910,

Reviewed 9 December 2017 via mobile

So, I’ll start by saying the hotel was great and the stay very pleasant. But what I found outrageous is the way the hotel manages the payment system.

Let me explain.

I stayed 7 nights. Upon check in my credit card was authorized for the costs of accommodation and incidentals. I asked for the mini bar to be taken out but that didn’t change the incidental costs. Total pending charge on my card is $3,192. The charge is still there after I checked out today.

Upon check out I have paid the actual bill. $2,241.21. That charge is an actual debit and has been processed.

So total costs for my stay, according to available funds in my account, is $5,433.

As I have a visa debit card this means my real cash funds have been allocated to the $5,433 and I cannot access the $3,192 that the hotel is holding.

They tell me don’t worry, we don’t actually take the money, we just put a hold on it. Well that’s clearly wrong!

The hotel can reverse the pending transaction at the merchant facility. That’d take them 30 seconds. But no, the pending transaction does not reverse for 5-10 days.

I travel regularly through Europe in hotels more prestigious than the Melbourne Intercontinental and these hotels apply a token hold of €1 to check the validity of the credit card.

To the hotel a short message. This is very bad practice and I won’t be back. To readers of this post, stay elsewhere as there are other hotels equal and better and don’t hold your money hostage.

1  Thank TravellerSport1
InterContinentalMlb, Manager at InterContinental Melbourne The Rialto, responded to this reviewResponded 10 December 2017

Dear TravellerSport1,

Thank you so much for sharing your review from your recent stay with us in Melbourne. I am so sorry to hear that you encountered difficulties with the payment processing and that we did not meet your expectations. We appreciate all comments and I have forwarded your comments to our Front Office Manager for review.

I would be happy to have our Front Office Manager review your comments with you so that we can better understand your concerns. Please feel free to contact me in order to set up a time to review your feedback which will be valuable in helping us to improve our service offering.

Again I am sorry we did not meet your expectations.

Sincerely yours,

Reviewed 9 December 2017

Beautiful architecture. I was given a room on the sixth floor that stared out at the 'old building' within the hotel. The room was well lit notwithstanding there was no external window.

While I did not mind, privacy could be an issue given rooms are facing each other unless you were planning to keep your curtains closed.

My room was well maintained, clean, comfortable and felt luxurious. No real issue other than perhaps the moderate shower water pressure.

In terms of location, the hotel is in a great part of town and there is a tram line right outside the hotel which is great.

If you are in town for business, I would definitely recommend staying at the InterCon. If you are here with family, the standard room may be a tad small.

Dear kerwei,

Thank you so much for sharing your kind review from your recent stay with us in Melbourne. I am so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us.

Reviewed 7 December 2017 via mobile

Loved the stay, i spent 7 days there everything was great , food/service/employees were perfect specially James from concierge big thanks to him, only problem
Is that i asked 3 times for a membership card but each time they told me
It will be ready now but its been 10 days and nothing yet :/ thats why i give them 4/5

Reviewed 3 December 2017 via mobile

We had a fantastic stay - the room is really lovely and the bed is super comfortable! The building itself is really nice too . We only spent the night but I would love to stay again .

I would recommend a stay here for sure

Stayed: December 2017, travelled as a couple
InterContinentalMlb, Manager at InterContinental Melbourne The Rialto, responded to this reviewResponded 5 December 2017

Dear Leanne M,

Thank you so much for sharing your kind review from your recent stay with us in Melbourne. I am so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and our very comfortable beds.

Reviewed 30 November 2017

Booked intercontinental last week at the last minute - two standard rooms on a weekend deal with breakfast. From end to end our experience was excellent. Thoroughly impressed with the fabulous team, excellent food and super comfy rooms. Food was brilliant both in breakfast and room service. Rooms were spacious and comfortable with excellent amenities. Will definitely be back!

• Stayed: November 2017, travelled as a couple
InterContinentalMlb, Manager at InterContinental Melbourne The Rialto, responded to this reviewResponded 1 December 2017

Dear Keira T,