“Cheap wifi, funky decor and comfortable rooms”

Punthill Flinders Lane Apartments
Ranked #71 of 161 Hotels in Melbourne
Reviewed 2 May 2012

Stayed in a studio with kitchenette. Staff were very friendly and the layout, design and decor are all quite funky yet functional. Highly recommend it. With high speed wifi at $3 an hour or $18 a day and it works at the cafes all around it....very happy!

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank ropate01
KeiranS, Public Relations Manager at Punthill Flinders Lane Apartments, responded to this reviewResponded 5 June 2012

Hi ropate01

So pleasing to hear your comments about our staff, they take pride in offering the best customer service possible for all of our guests and of course excellent advice about how to experience the best of Melbourne + more.........

Thanks so much for your review.

Keiran

Reviewed 28 April 2012

These apartments have an excellent location - near the tram and railway so its easy to reach other parts of the city. A little bit noisy when its garbage collection day though as you can hear the trucks on the street quite loudly but other than that the noise isnt bad.
Loved the room itself - we stayed in a one bedroom apartment which was well equipped with a kitchen, small dining table, lounge with flat screen tv. Funky decor and a very comfortable bedroom.
Loved that we could just walk around the corner and have breakfast at one of the cafes on the street. Easy to reach the main streets for shopping and to other restaurants within the district. Close to federation square and a short walk to the Southbank promenade.
All in all we were extremely happy with these apartments and would recommend it to anyone who wants an alternative to a hotel for a reasonable price.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
KeiranS, Public Relations Manager at Punthill Flinders Lane Apartments, responded to this reviewResponded 3 May 2012

Hi pennylaneblah

What can I say - you managed to highlight some of the greatest things about staying at Punthill Flinders Lane. The property was only recently refurbished in a style which reflects the true ambiance of the funky local area.

And the Cafe's! Its fair to say that we sit right on the doorstep of some of the best dining outlets that Melbourne is so well known for.

Thanks for leaving your comments and hope to see you again soon..

Reviewed 28 April 2012

Stayed at this hotel for a few days prior to a conference for some R&R. I was really pleased with the large size of my room - it was a full 1-bedroom suite with full kitchen. The hotel was furnished modernly and comfortably. The location in the heart of the CBD could not be beaten and I enjoyed the convenience of stepping right out into the city from the hotel. Only minus was that at night there is a pub right outside on the street so I heard loud drunken young people fairly late. This was not a problem for me as I always travel with earplugs, although otherwise it would have been an issue. As a solo female traveler I felt very safe, and was able to walk and take the tram everywhere with ease. Front desk was friendly and helpful, loaning me an umbrella one day when I was caught without one and storing luggage securely.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank youngtravler

Dear youngtravler

Thanks for leaving your comments on Tripadvisor.

So nice to hear your positive comments about the new style of our Apartments and I will certainly pass on your feedback about good customer service to our Front Desk team.

Your comments about street noise have been taken very seriously and we will be speaking directly with the local pub your make reference too.

Look forward to seeing you back at Flinders Lane again soon.

Reviewed 23 April 2012

Although the location was great I was a little disappointed with the apartment itself. We stayed in 402 which was next to the lift and was pretty noisy in both bedrooms. The layout of the apartment itself was also pretty strange. There was one shower servicing two bedrooms but this was located in the ensuite off the master, this meant the person in the second bedroom had to walk through the master to use it! It was all a bit awkward. The second bedroom door opened straight onto the kitchen, which was also a little strange.

The main aspect which let this down for me was the customer service. On arrival at the hotel we checked in and were given keys, only to discover when we got to the apartment that the room had not been cleaned! The cleaner was in fact sitting in the apartment eating his lunch. It was all a bit embarassing! The management apologised but didn't seem too concerned.

The next issue was the car parking, we booked a space for two nights and notified the front desk that we were taking the vehicle out of the space and back to the hire company. When we arrived back at the apartment that evening, we were told that we had been charged for a third night because we had not returned a remote for the basement door ... though we weren't advised of this when we 'checked the car out'. When we pointed out that we had not been asked for the remote, the guy behind the desk got aggressive, he was outraged that we had (politely) challenged him and responded with a torrent of abuse questioning our morals. He eventually agreed to remove the third nights charge but this ruined the stay for me and left me really upset. If we hadn't paid in advance for the rest of our stay I would have checked out. I've never been treated like that in a 4* hotel before and don't expect to be again. On this basis unfortunately I can't recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Avoid the rooms next to the lifts, ours was 402 and was very noisy. Also avoid the rooms next to the...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank Lorna F

Punthill notes that the two above reviews are from the same guests. Punthill prides itself on outstanding customer service and all staff go out of their way to assist guests. Unfortunately, this incident became stressful for all concerned. The carpark was fully booked on the day in question. The Manager repeatedly phoned the guest who repeatedly assured the Manager that the other two members of the party would be back shortly with the remote control but in fact they only returned many hours later at 7pm. This was a difficult situation as all guests had checked in and the carpark was full. We do feel that we were justified in asking the guests to pay the additional charge of $19 and one of the guests readily agreed and felt this was justified; however when the two other guests expressed extreme outrage, the charge was reversed. It is certainly a shame that this occurred and that all concerned became so upset about a small amount of money. All staff have learnt from this experience and we continue to train staff in all areas of customer service.

Reviewed 23 April 2012

I stayed at Punthill Filnders lane for for nights with two family members. The place looks nice and was clean, although the room layout was a little odd and street noise could be heard but this is common with central city locations. The problem came when the manager tried to charge us for overnight parking we did not use. We had a rental car we used for two days and paid for two nights parking before returning the car. When we checked the car out of their car park we informed the lady at reception we were doing so who said "no problem". On returning the car we then noticed we had forgetten to hand the door remote to open the garage door back at Punthill- no problem, we thought, there are fifteen spaces in the garage and only two cars in there last night - they will have plenty of spare remotes. When we got back to the Punthill we were informed we were being charged and extra night's parking ($20AUD) for not returning the remote! The manager's logic was that he was then not able to give it to someone else to rent the space and thus he was out of pocket. He wouldn't consider that he needed spare remotes for when guests inevitably forgot to hand them back or they broke and said the car park was full that night after being 90% empty the previous two nights (it was not full that night either - there were at least for empty spaces at midnight - I was so incensed I checked!). I explained that not returning the remote was an oversight on my part and a human error, however it was not explained to me when I rented the space/remote that there was a check out time or penalty costs in not returning it, and I had informed reception and trying to add clauses like this to the agreement retrospectively was wrong and that charging me for another night's parking was charging me something I had neither ordered nor used and this wouldn't stand in any area of consumer law. He eventually agreed to drop the charge only because he grew tired of discussing the issue with such lines as "If I was you I'd pay it as you've cost this business $20". Ultimately it was a grey area - there were things I could have done differently and things they could have done differently over the parking charge and in those cases 99% of four star hotels side with customer. What ruined the stay here was that we paid hundreds of dollars per night to stay there as well as using the laundry, parking and DVD's, so they made hundreds of dollars out of us but ruined the stay by not even considering the customer point of view (which had cunsumer law on its side!) and arguing over $20! Ruined the stay for us...

Room Tip: Don't get a room near the elevator or the street - noisy.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Gareth F
Reviewed 18 April 2012

Perfect for all your needs. Stayed here for 8 nights in April 2012 and was extremely impressed with the level of service and the apartment which i stayed in. Fantastic location, less than five minutes walk to federation square and restaurants just around the corner!!! Also Coles supermarket 5 mins away and Flinders street station also just around the corner. Great base for exploring Melbourne and inexpensive too!! Would definately stay here again, pictures do not do it justice!!

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank Andrew2012AUS

Hi Andrew2012AUS

Thanks for letting us know how much you enjoyed your stay at Punthill Flinders Lane. Considering your length of stay (8 night's) our fully self contained Apartments would have suited you perfectly..
With Coles Supermarket located just around the corner I'm sure you made good use of the cooking facilities available in room.

We appreciate you comments and hope to see you again soon..!

Reviewed 24 March 2012

The rooms were nicely decorated and had everything you need. I loved the tin cat on the windowsill and the way the room was set out. The only problem was the previous occupants had been cooking in the room and the smell was overpowering and when we opened the window, the noise from the street was very loud. Overall the room was great and the location was excellent. I would definitely recommmend it.

Room Tip: Ask for air freshener.
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled on business