New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of Nomads All Nations Hostel

Nomads All Nations Hostel
Ranked #100 of 120 Speciality Lodging in Melbourne
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
“Wouldn't stay here if you paid me”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 November 2011

Everything about this hostel was terrible. There were doors hanging off their hinges, only one toilet out of 8 was in working order. It was noisy with people drinking and singing outside peoples bedrooms until 5am and the staff did nothing to stop this. The bunk beds had no ladders so bad luck if you were on the top bunk, the beds also squeeked so bad that you woke up everytime someone moved. It was dark, dirty and cramped and the staff on more than one occasion gave us wrong information regarding trams or anything else we wanted to know. They also don't give refunds, probably because if they did everyone would request one!

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with friends

Families
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
Adelaide, Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 October 2011

chose this hostel off the free beer at check-in it states on their advert in airport b/c looked and cost the same as other hostels advertising at airport but with this extra perk. when arrived, they dont do free one beer anymore and havent for a while. this was first let down. on top of that, bathrooms were dirty, wooden floors very loud and room smelled. the location is great right next to southern cross station if your only staying one night and have to get up early to catch a bus or train, but i wouldnt advise staying there for multiple days. they should change their advert at airport.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled solo
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Travellers are raving about these Melbourne hotels

Georgetown, Penang
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 September 2011

My friend and I stayed in a twin room on the top floor. When we first opened the door, we were surprised to see an empty room with two bunk bed and a heater only, we got new sheets and pillow case, which is good. I personally love the room because it reminds me of the apartment where Carrie Bradshaw stays in "Sex and the City" minus all other amenities. It has the best location for public transport. The City Tram circles station is just a couple of steps away, and it is within walking distance to South Bank, Southern Cross Station and even Federation Square. We didn't interact much with others in the kitchen area or the staff at the reception, but I find the people there are generally very nice :)

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Burnie, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 August 2011

apart from the amazingly stupid staff at reception it wasn't that bad. bathroom was clean and it's cheap and good location. best thing is right next door a bar with fantastic music and good happy hour till 6 which is cool. i would stay there again just ignore the reception staff. :) peace.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled solo
Wangaratta, Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 August 2011

I didn't have any problems during my stay - however it was only for one night and I was only in the room long enough to get changed and to sleep.
I have a private twin room on the top floor which was quite a mission after a night out.

The bathroom was clean (massive suprise!) and there was always free toilets/showers.

The only real selling point is the fantastic location. The trams & trains are bloody noisy!!! If you are a light sleep , don't expect a good sleep.
The mattresses aren't great - I could pretty much feel every spring in the bed every time I moved.

My friend checked us in so I didn't speak to any of the staff. In fact I don't remember seeing any staff let alone talking to them....

But at the end of the day, it was cheap, I didn't have any trouble with safety/security and I had somewhere to sleep. Would I stay again...... No probably not unless I was on a very tight budget and was desperate.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Sheffield
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2011

After staying at the Travelodge docklands for 3 nights, to say this place was a downgrade is an understatement. Basically we got done over by Tiger Airways being grounded so had to stay an extra night, as pretty much all the other hotels were full we were forced to stay here. It likes to call itself the All Nations Backpackers Hotel...it was a glorified park bench. We stayed in a twin room which had a metal bunkbed, light and a plug and that was it. It resembled a prison cell apart from a prison cell has more facilities. It didn't have a lift so we had to cart 2 heavy cases up 3 flights of stairs to the luggage room to then get there and the luggage room be full...I blatantly had a broken arm which the 'staff' had noticed yet they didn't offer any assistance. The whole hotel was freezing cold, chaotic not to mention really noisy as there was no double glazing windows. It was a shared mixed sex bathroom which as a female traveller made me feel quite uncomfortable as when I finally braved the toilets came out to a 70 year old man washing his head in the sink...maybe it's me but I found this a bit strange. Perhaps he found the showers as disgusting as what I did. Would I recommend this 'hotel' to anybody...no, a bench in Southern Cross Station is a better option. NB. The bar next door, which is linked to the hotel wasn't as cheap as advertised but if you enjoy spending your nights watching people singing "A Land Down Under" on the open mic night...get yourself an acoustic guitar and 3 hours after checking in, get yourself down and live the dream, which is what some guy that checked in at the same time as us did. We also didn't appreciate being rudely made to go back upstairs after check out and bring our bed linen down...fool on you, you deactivated the room key unfortunately before demanding us to do so....and don't kid yourself, we wouldn’t have done it anyway.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends
Brighton, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 July 2011

Cannot express how much I dislike this place.
Rude and stupid staff. Didnt even bother to try help us with luggage up 323389 stairs and when we told them we didnt have a pillow he stared at us and a minute later couldn't understand if we had a pillow or not (well why would i come tell you i had one..)
Grotty disgusting exterior and it's not better on the inside, girls toilets had a blood stain from the second day until we left, showers disgusting, creaky horrible doors etc, smelly bedsheets, bed without a bar, bars on the disgusting window felt like we were in prison, tacky bar downstairs, kitchen was tiny and non functional with a 20 dollar deposit for saucepan!?!
Basically, only stay here if you have to and make it a night at the most. Stinks, disgusting and put me off nomads forever.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled with friends