“Wonderfully romantic dinner out”
Review of Bistrot d'Orsay

Bistrot d'Orsay
Ranked #58 of 4,323 Restaurants in Melbourne
Price range: US$44 - US$87
Cuisines: French
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Central Business District
Description: Bistrot d'Orsay has been situated in picturesque Collins Street for 20 years, in an area regarded as the ‘Paris End’. The interior is instantly evocative of the French capital with trompe l’oeil ceiling and a towering vintage French poster adorning the dining room. Dark wood paneling and soft lighting completes the picture. Lunch and dinner menus are provençal Mediterranean with French bistro classics such as bouillabaisse and crème brûlée all prepared with flair. Dishes such as seafood linguini and risotto complement the Mediterranean style. With a spectacular view of the ornate Regent Theatre directly opposite, Bistrot d’Orsay can lay claim to one of the best views of any restaurant in Melbourne. The bistro has a multi-award winning, extensive wine list with expertly chosen selections from the best international and Australian/NZ regions.
Reviewed 2 June 2016 via mobile

My boyfriend and I had a delicious dinner during our stay in Melbourne and couldn't have been more content. From the intimate setting, to the relaxed (yet classy) ambience, and the professional and courteous service, everything was impeccable.

Not only was their selection of vegetarian options phenomenal for such a fine dining/European restaurant but the wine selections were perfect for each dish. I could eat nothing else but the entree of chèvre soufflé for the rest of my life! I also had the gnocchi as a main which was a generous portion and had such delicate flavour and texture. My boyfriend enjoyed the gin cured salmon as an entree and duck leg main. We shared (begrudgingly) the pear tart with almond ice cream for dessert which was delightful.

Our server Kyle was polite and professional, very knowledgable about the wine selection. His recommendations for each course were spot on and added to our enjoyment of the meal. I highly recommend Bistrot D'Orsay for a romantic dinner in Melbourne.

Reviewed 17 May 2016

This was a return visit after a couple of years and we were happy we went back. Food is still good French bistro fare, service prompt and professional and the interior is intimate and romantic. It was well priced and enjoyable.

Reviewed 15 May 2016

I had the seafood linguini and my wife had a special which was a beef ragout gnocci.
Both were excellent. The service was wonderful. Beer and mixed drink prices were good.
Highly recommended.

Reviewed 26 April 2016

We went to Bistro D'Orsay before seeing a show and it was the beginning of a wonderful night. My duck confit was both crisp and tender at the same time and the tart tatin was sweet and perfectly caramelised. My friend's pate was lush and the fish course was moist and flavourful. The service was friendly, unhurried and efficient. We were able to see Wil Anderson's show later that night, and that was amazing too!

Reviewed 24 April 2016

Love this little place situated in the Paris end of Collins St. Great service, traditional French fare, the beef was served with the most amazing jus. Great wine list and good prices. Duck confit awesome.