1,243 results
All reviews free mini bar apple tv free happy hour lolly bar goodie bag free wifi free lolly restocked daily studio suite great location funky hotel coffee machine princess theatre thought of everything bourke street bathroom sink little extras
Reviewed January 15, 2018

>> Book directly for amazing exclusive freebies!!!!

(I have to write that before I start my review in case you don't read the entire thing and I don't want you to miss out on them because they are so good!!!)

---

Here's my review:
I love a good bargain! I found a great deal on Groupon for another hotel but wanted to keep "shopping around" when I stumbled across a bunch of great reviews on TripAdvisor for OVOLO LANEWAYS.
And let me tell you what they did not disappoint!

In complete honesty, it was different from what I expected, heaps different and I'll go into why below but although it was different to what I envisioned it to be, it was good different and my husband and I had a wonderful time!

This is what I envisioned for the hotel vs what it was really like:
I envisioned it to be a bigger vicinity than it was, with more floors, a bar/lounge area for the advertised happy hour and to include a restaurant/cafe like area for the breakfast.
In reality the bar/lounge area doesn't exist but they transform the lobby into a lounge area and serve drinks there. Again with breakfast they utilitize one of the top floor penthouse apartments to host a cute little breakfast in which I'll go into more detail further in the review!

OUR EXPERIENCE WAS LOVELY AND I LOVED ALL THE PERSONAL TOUCHES!!!

IT WAS SUCH AN ENJOYABLE STAY WITH GREAT STAFF WHO WERE FRIENDLY, HELPFUL AND KIND!

THE FEEL OF THE PLACE WAS GREAT AND THE ATMOSPHERE WAS CASUAL BUT YOU WERE MADE TO FEEL VALUED BY ALL THE PERSONAL TOUCHES!

WE LOVED OUR STAY AND MOST DEFINITELY WILL BE BACK!!!

---

>> OUR STAY IN MORE DETAIL <<

ARRIVAL, CHECK-IN & PARKING:
We arrived at Ovolo Laneways around 4:30/5pm on a Wednesday for me and my husband to celebrate our 4 year wedding anniversary!

Maps directed us there perfectly without getting lost so that was always good!

There isn't any parking immediately surrounding the hotel but there is an arrangement with a parking block a few streets over that we took advantage of. Which for an over night stay in Melbourne CBD would have cost us over $70/$80 dollars but with their partnership we got a discount ticket which brought the price down to a reasonable $16!!! Much nicer and way more affordable that spending $80 on parking!

Upon pulling up to Ovolo Laneways there's a waiting bay or maybe a loading zone car park right outside the front door which my husband waited in while I checked in and took our luggage up to the room before going to the car park a few streets over to walk back together.

We got back fifteen minutes before the FREE happy hour began.

HAPPY HOUR:
(When booking direct this is included free!)
As I mentioned above, I envisioned happy hour to be at the hotels own bar area. This didn't exist but instead they transform the small lobby area just past reception into a cute little lounge area. It had limited seating which really encourages you to connect with people which we did and had great conversations with three other guests. Alcohol served was bubbles, white wine, and beer. Also popcorn and peanuts too. Accompanied by the FREE CANDY BAR that is in the reception area (and it has a great choice of lollies!!!)
We loved the happy hour, the feel was great and so was the company we made!

OUR ROOM:
We booked in to the Studio suite, which is bigger than just a studio room by having a larger lounge area.
The room was big enough for the two of us had such a stylish Melbourne Street vibe feel and was clean and modern.

OUR ROOM//BATHROOM:
The bathroom was modern with a fantastic shower head! LOVE LOVE LOVE! They include personal touches everywhere in this hotel and I love that about it!
The shampoo, conditioner and body wash are in trendy pump bottles rather than just the generic hotel mini versions with generic branding. These guys sourced a great looking brand that continued the fun and edgy feel of the place. The provide great packaging and have free toothbrushes and toothpastes in sealed packages, shower caps and soaps, moisturiser, etc. It was awesome!

OUR ROOM//BED:
Queen bed with the usual hotel linen. And a comfy blanket/doonar/duvet.
They provided both of us with a robe and pair of slippers each which was cute and another personal touch.

OUR ROOM//LOUNGE:
The lounge area is open plan with the bed but has its own space laid out to the side.
Apple TV, where you can watch Netflix plus heaps of other options but we stuck to Netflix! The couch was a large L shape, it looked great and was comfy too!

OUR ROOM//EXTRAS:
- In room minibar, (again book directly and you get to use this completely free!!! Yassss so good right!) beverages included: beer, white wine, waters, plus a range of cokes.
- T2, which is another way they go above and beyond, rather than the usual twinning or Lipton teabags they use a high quality and luxury brand T2 to provide for their guest and we loved that!
- Cute little welcome bag, which includes a little mix of lollies, popcorn, nuts, T2 packets and maybe a few other things that I can't remember but I took it home for the kids and they were so excited about it. Xo
- Modern technology, with the do not disturb, request house keeping or wake up alarm request. Instead of a sign to hang on door you press one of the three options and it lights up that button outside your door! Pretty cool way of doing that I thought!
- Stylish decor, Full length mirror, pretty average view (ROOM 404) but wasn't too bothered by that, stylish info book, good size and quality TV.

BREAKFAST:
Yip you guessed it, FREE when you book direct! I envisioned a breakfast area withjn a Cafe or restaurant but instead they make use of space and serve this from one of the penthouse suites. The selection was great with different pastries, muffins, toasts, cereals, fruit salad, muesli, yoghurt, juices, water, tea and coffee selections. Such a nice vibe and way different to what I'd envisioned but I really enjoyed it! Was great taste too!

STAFF:
The entire process from questions I had pre purchasing, to arrival information, to during our stay, and to post stay, the staff were phenomenal! They displayed kindness, great knowledge of the general area and we're able to provide great reviews on local places to eat and things to do, we're helpful whenever needed and followed up our stay with nice emails and well wishes!

FINAL WORDS:
We thoroughly enjoyed our stay and can't wait to stay again! What an enjoyable experience!!

Thanks heaps,
Chris and Aneta. Xo
Room 404 // Jan 2018

Room Tip: Studio suite was perfect for just me and hubby!
Stayed: January 2018, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Chris_and_Aneta
Jake Y, General Manager at Ovolo Laneways, responded to this reviewResponded January 17, 2018

Hi Accounts V,

Wow!

This is the most incredible and thorough review we have ever had at Laneways. You’ve made our marketing team’s job quite easy! You’ve also made it super easy for any future guests to see what we are all about here.

Thank you so much for taking the time to write / correlate your stay with us as well as taking some amazing pictures. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed our personal touch the most, it’s what we pride ourselves on and like to think how we separate ourselves from any other hotel brand in the world!

We’d love to welcome you both back to the property sooner rather than later. Let us know and we’ll look after you again.

Warm regards,

Reviewed January 12, 2018

I can't recall staying at a more ideal place. We were there for 5 days. The location is a stone's throw from my favourite restaurant (Pellegrini's) and pretty much everything else I love in Melbourne. They have carved out a reputation in a very competitive market by offering straight up for free what most travelers worry about - a free mini bar! They also offer totally free wifi.

You only get this when you book direct and you also get a free continental breakfast for your troubles. The fridge comes stocked with beer, white wine, juices and water, with the obligitory UHT milk for coffee and tea. We tested it by consuming a fare amount of water, beer and wine and it was all magically back in the fridge every day. To add even more to the freebies list, there's a coffee machine in the lobby (reasonable by my standards) and a selection of lollies - again, all for free! Oh, and if you like your gym, you get that for free too. You have to walk around to Lonsdale Street for that, but hey, you want to exercise don't you?

Onto a few more important matters. The room we got was a 2 bedroom suite (queen and two singles). The floating wood floor was a welcome change to carpet and I'm sure reduces cleaning time. Inovative design sees 2 large sliding panels dividing off the main bedroom from the living area, which keeps the room feeling quite large during the day and cosy in the bedroom at night. The bed was comfortable and firm and the pillows delightfully soft. Plenty of hangers for the good clothes. A little light on for drawer space, but not a major issue.

The bathroom was an ensuite style - shower, toilet, sink - and a decent size for the average person. I will say the shower area is a little tight width-wise due to the placement of the shelf. The provided soaps and toiletries are of a quality that you're happy to take home and use (we all do it!), which is not always the case. The bathroom is NOT soundproof, just in case you worry about those things.

The combined lounge/dining/kitchen area feels spacious and easily accomodates 4 adults. We ate in on a number of nights and there was plenty of space on the cleverly designed table or over on the couch. Was nice to not wash up too. The decor is modern and feels just so relaxing. The view is not exciting (the building next door), but you get a nice sunbeam in the afternoon. No balcony for this room, but we didn't feel we missed out at all.

Breakfast was on the top floor where I was delighted to see the penthouse doors listed as OMG2 and 3. It's little touches like that, that make this place fun. The danishes were my favourite. The little tubs of bircher with sunflower seed and a passionfruit drizzle (I think) also helped kick off the day nicely. Lots of nice yoghurts and other cereals to choose from too. Coffee machine was a bit tricky. It was a one button push, but you didn't get a lot in your cup, even for a long black.

Wrapping it up; great room, great staff, great ammenaties, great stay. Easily the best stay in Melbourne. Worked out at about $80 per person per night. We'll be back for sure.

• Stayed: January 2018, travelled with family
2  Thank Chris R
Jake Y, General Manager at Ovolo Laneways, responded to this reviewResponded January 15, 2018

Hi Chris R,

Thank you for the amazing review!
Thank you for loving our location. Yes, we are so fortunate to be in the main CBD.
Thank you for enjoying our signature freebies which are all designed for effortless living.
Thank you for all your wonderful comments about our service standard, amenities, room design and everything what Ovolo Laneways has to offer.
We look forward to welcoming you back real soon.

Reviewed January 12, 2018

I had a great stay here. I stayed in room 36 which is a 2 bedroom suite.

The decor is amazing and I kind of just wanted to stay there and have drinks and not go out, but you gotta see the city. The couches are a bit uncomfortable, but they suit the apartment.

The real winner is all the little things in the room you take with you. Even a self labelled "Loot Bag" for the kids, or kids at heart.

Would definitely recommend, although it's not exactly cheap. Split between 2 couples for a weekend would be awesome.

Room Tip: Room 36 was great.
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled with friends

Hi Mykimike25,

Thank you for the detailed review and recommendations.
It sounds like your stay went effortlessly in our 2 bedroom suite with its design and signature freebies such as our loot bag and minibar, which gets replenished daily.
We promise to improve further based on your valuable feedback so that we can be 100% ready for your next visit.

Reviewed January 10, 2018 via mobile

Very much enjoyed a one night stay at Ovolo Laneways. It's very close to a hip area full of restaurant and bars. Free mini bar, coffee and water! The only tiny annoyance was the sink which was very small and low down so brushing my teeth was abit of a challenge but hey room came with some lovely comfy slippers!

Stayed: January 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank thecrazybanana
Jake Y, General Manager at Ovolo Laneways, responded to this reviewResponded January 14, 2018

Hi thecrazybanana,

Thank you very much for sharing your experience.
We are glad to hear that your overall stay was effortless and satisfactory with many positives.
Please accept our sincere apologies for the inconvenience caused by small basin.
It is promise to maintain our standard and improve further based on your valuable feedback so that we can be 100% ready for your next visit.

Reviewed January 8, 2018

Our family of four (including two adult children) opted for a 2 bedroom 1 bath flat at Ovolo Laneways and were delighted. Great location in the Chinatown/theatre district with easy walking and tram service throughout the CBD. Front desk very accommodating. Appreciated the gift bag of munchies and the minibar that was restocked daily (including water, beer, wine, and juice). Kitchen was sink, refrig, and microwave only, but that was adequate. Self-service laundry on our floor was also helpful. We did not opt for breakfast/happy hour add ons, as there were so many great locations to eat nearby. Would definitely recommend this place and will stay there again when we return to Melbourne.

• Stayed: December 2017, travelled with family

Hi mash4d,

Thank you for the wonderful review!
We are glad to learn that you thoroughly enjoyed our concept of effortless living with our signature freebies such as minibar and minibar which gets replenished daily.
Yes, we are so fortunate to be located in the main CBD where all our guests can explore what Melbourne city has to offer.