“Very friendly helpful staff”

Clarion Suites Gateway
Ranked #34 of 162 Hotels in Melbourne
Reviewed 22 April 2012

Located only moments from Southbank and Crown, the hotel is in a great area. My suite, a 1 bedroom was very spacious with equipped kitchen, nice bathroom and an awesome bed, I love the bed! It is massive and the linen is just beautiful.
The view from my room was straight across the river to crown. Downside, the railway line runs along the river and the trains seem to run non stop. They are loud but with the balcony door shut, I barely noticed them.
Definitely happy to stay there again.

• Stayed: April 2012
CSGManagement, Public Relations Manager at Clarion Suites Gateway, responded to this reviewResponded 2 May 2012

Dear Balmain Bunch,

Thank you for your feedback, It is pleasing to read that you enjoyed your recent stay with us here at Clarion Suites Gateway. We are situated in a great location and with Crown Casino and the shopping prescient within easing walking distance we appreciate that you enjoyed our location and all that Melbourne has to offer.

This information I believe may be helpful in relation to noise levels, in that, the bedroom windows are double glazed; we have done this to reduce external noise and therefore recommend that the bedroom door is closed before retiring, so that the double glazing is effective.
We look forward to welcoming you back to Clarion Suites Gateway in the near future.

Kelly Matthews - Executive Office

Reviewed 18 April 2012

We stayed at Clarion Suites Gateway Melbourne April 2012. We highly recomend everyone that is staying in Melbourne stay at the Clarion Suites Gateway. The reception was very freindly and helpful. The pool was great for our kids and it is in the heart of the city where everthing is in reach. Make sure you get a room with a view cause the view is pricless. The hotel is great value. We will defently stay there again.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
CSGManagement, Public Relations Manager at Clarion Suites Gateway, responded to this reviewResponded 19 April 2012

Dear Joey,

We appreciate you taking the time to post your review , it is always a delight to receive such positive feedback. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Kind Reagrds
Kelly Matthews - Executive Office

Reviewed 18 April 2012

Can I just say I love the Clarion?! I know it doesn't make for a veryhelpful review but... I LOVE THE CLARION!

Ok, a bit more info... I've stayed there five times over the past eight months or so. I really have received good service from front desk every time I've visited and the rooms have always been comfortable. After the second time, I decided to join up as a VIP member as I do enjoy overnight retreats just for something different as well as needing an occasional place to stay when I am in the city late at night and don't want to make the hour-plus trip home. Being part of the VIP club is great because I'm entitled to get upgrades (where possible) and a few extra bits and pieces. It's always lovely. I do enjoy getting in, dropping my bags and having a cuppa and a cookie before heading out again.

I have stayed in the Studio Queen apartment, Studio King (river view - an upgrade) and one of the one bedroom apartments (another upgrade). I have to say that the King Studio room is my favourite thus far. It's a really well appointed space and you get a bath which is, for me, a great luxury. The view from this room was also great, overlooking the river and seeing some of South Bank. The Queen rooms are comfortably snug but not tiny and the bedroom suite has great kitchen facilities though the bathroom is a little more squashy than the other two rooms. In my experience the rooms have always been very clean upon arrival, with the aircon already set so you just have to turn it on if the room's a little stuffy.

Lastly, on my most recent visit a few weeks ago I was gifted with a nice bottle of wine because I had stayed a number of times. Unfortunately I don't drink red and I forgot to take the bottle home with me, but it was a great touch and much appreciated. I'd rather have more of the yummy cookies instead. Can I get more of those if I ask reception? A whole box, maybe? :)

If I were to make any criticisms of Clarion Gateways, it would be these things:

1 - The staff (cleaners/maintenance) do need to thoroughly check the fridges to make sure that nothing has been left behind by a previous guest. My very first stay was marred only by some wrapped up (but definitely old) cheese that was in the mini bar fridge. I am not precious so I didn't bother complaining as it didn't affect me, just mentioned it to front desk on the way out. No problems at all since that stay, however.

2 - Again, a comment about the cleaners and maintenance people...MANNERS! It's a small thing but I don't like being barked at to get into a lift or being cut off when getting into said lift. Guests come first, in my opinion. Never had a problem with front desk folks at all. Always very nice and cheery.

3 - For my last visit I forgot to purchase the internet package. That was ok as I thought I would just buy some time separately. Unfortunately I forgot that as a VIP, I get %50 off my internet bill so I ended up paying for the full thing the following morning. The staff did not pick up on this either. Again, I'm not precious so I didn't bother chasing it up when I remembered. I'll point it out next time if it happens again.

4 - Williams, the attached restaurant, could be better. I have eaten there for work functions and have never really been impressed with the food (generally overcooked or very bland) so whilst I do appreciate the discount vouchers, I won't eat there if I've got the choice. And you ARE spoiled for choice being so close to Southbank and Crown.

All in all, whilst it's not absolute premium accommodation and probably on the slightly more expensive side of average, the service and little extras definitely sell the place, I recommend it as a place to stay when travelling to Melbourne or if you're just needing a treat. Might even send my in-laws there... (Clarion, you can keep them if you want!)

Room Tip: I definitely recommend the river view rooms, particularly the King Studios for couples as there'...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank Ren R
CSGManagement, General Manager at Clarion Suites Gateway, responded to this reviewResponded 23 April 2012

Dear Valued Guest

Thank you for choosing to stay once again at Clarion Suites Gateway, we appreciate that you have taken the time to post a review on Trip Advisor.

Thank you for sharing your valuable and constructive comments, it will allow us to focus on the areas which require immediate improvements.

I would like assure that our, Executive Housekeeper & Executive Chef have been made aware of the need for improved service standards and quality in relation to the mini fridges and quality of food.

We will dedicate more time and resources in relation to the customer service skills set of our Cleaners and Maintenance team members, with the focus of further improving their customer service skills, thank you for bringing this to my attention.

The quality of service provided at Clarion Suites Gateway is of the utmost importance to us and I would like to assure you that we will ensure your feedback is addressed earnestly.

We look forward to welcoming you back one day soon, and if you would so kind as to provide us with your details (email: info@clarionsuitesgateway.com.au) we will ensure on your next milestone stay that you will receive an alternative to the red wine.

With Best Regards

Tony Cakmar

Reviewed 16 April 2012

stayed 4 nights in April and found this ideally situated for what we had planned. A minute from the free Circle tram, 5 mins walk across the bridge to the Crown complex, and maybe ten from the heart of the CBD. We had the basic suite with king bed and paid the $30 extra for breakfast included - the breakfast was well worth it and saved the time (and expense) of traipsing out each morning to find somewhere to eat. The room overlooked the river, so we saw the flames from the Crown complex each night, and the double glazing was good enough to block out nearly all of the noise from the trains and trams.
If you're on a bit of a budget I'd certainly recommend it.
btw - William St is undergoing road works at the moment so the free shuttle bus doesn't stop on William at the moment, but you can pick it up over the bridge.

Room Tip: most overlook the river but I'd ask to make sure anyway
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family

Dear Alan,

It is pleasing to receive positive feedback and I’m glad you enjoyed the location, room features and breakfast, may we have the pleasure of welcoming you back to Clarion Suites Gateway when you next visit Melbourne.

Cindy Colliver - Executive Office

Reviewed 11 April 2012

Stayed here for 4 nights in March. Had an apartment with amazing views of the Yarra and Crown. Apartment was massive and well maintained. Limited interaction with staff, but each time we did they were all exceptionally professional, pleasant and helpful. As with every hotel there are some things Housekeeping need to pay more attention to such as a rangehood so covered in grease I thought it was frosted glass when I first pulled it out to use it! This didn't matter as we wiped it off ourselves. Will definitely be back here next time in Melbourne!

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
CSGManagement, Public Relations Manager at Clarion Suites Gateway, responded to this reviewResponded 23 April 2012

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review about our Hotel on Trip Advisor. We are pleased to hear you enjoyed our location and the view from your apartment. Thank you for bringing to our attention the rangehood cleanliness, please be assured that the Executive Housekeeper has been made aware of the need for improved service standards and attention to detail in relation to the kitchen amenities.

May we have the pleasure of welcoming you back to Clarion Suites Gateway when you next visit Melbourne.

Cindy Colliver – Executive Office

Reviewed 11 April 2012

Hotel was in a good location, close to spencer st station. Not many restaurants in this part of the city being its only real downfall. We used the on site parking which was ok at $20 per night. The room itself (1 bedroom suite) worked fine for a young family of four. The hotel was clean and quite modern, would definitely recommend!

• Stayed: April 2012

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay at Clarion Suites Gateway, we appreciate that you have taken the time to post a review on Trip Advisor. I do apologize if we did not make this information available to you, insofar as eateries in our neighborhood are concerned, in Southbank alone there are 21 restaurants & 14 restaurants in Southgate, as well as food courts & cafes & bars, this does not include the more high-end restaurants in the casino complex which totals another 13. We would be delighted to recommend eateries next time that we have the pleasure of your company, there is so much to choose from.

May I also take this opportunity in thanking you for staying with us.

Tony Cakmar

Reviewed 11 April 2012

Stayed for 2 nites and was upgraded to a 1Bd suite on the 9th floor. Friendly and very helpful staff, they had in-house parking spaces for $20 a nite which was helpful.

Room had a 42 inch television in the lounge plus a 26 inch one in the bedroom which are in better than the other hotels nearby.

Excellent views of the Yarra from the room, only drawback was the sound of the trains starting their runs at 5:15am. Will come back when I'm in Melbourne.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business

Dear Valued Guest,

It is pleasing to read that you enjoyed your stay with us during your recent trip to Melbourne, and that our rooms and facilities met your expectations.

Your feedback is very important to us; this allows our team to endeavor to exceed your expectations as this is our primary focus. This information I believe may be helpful in relation to noise levels, in that, the bedroom windows are double glazed; therefore we do recommend that the bedroom door is closed before retiring, so that the double glazing is more effective. If you would be so kind as to email (info@clarionsuitesgateway.com.au) your contact details we will note your preference of a quiet room for your next return visit.
We look forward to welcoming you back to Clarion Suites Gateway.

Thank you also for the opportunity in being of service to you.

Cindy Colliver - Executive Office