“Dark and alluring”

Cuisines: Australian
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Central Business District
Reviewed June 15, 2016 via mobile

Interesting place its dark romantic great night out exellent for a private function in a dining room very nice menu ye each to its own bit of raw mince and french alcohol made in front of you what more do you want

Reviewed June 12, 2016

Came here for work drinks on a Friday evening. Really good spot and great atmosphere. Good selection of drinks and good staff.

Reviewed June 12, 2016

Where can I start???? We had booked a table for 4 well in advance of the date we visited eau de vie and still had to wait in the long line at the door, occasionally forcing our way to the front to ask when our table would be ready. Staff were busy and not particularly pleasant. This is a place where people go to get drunk, it's not classy, the food is terrible and mainly deep fried. We were given a low coffee table and had intended to eat there as the website boasted normal tables and an attractive menu, but don't be deceived, it is just bar food and the food is an afterthought. The cocktail menu is very extensive and the cocktails do look amazing but you are crammed in like sardines, sitting next to a table of tracksuit wearing idiots who just want to go on a bender. This place is not classy AT ALL, I was lead to believe it was. Sure if you want sensational looking cocktails go for it, but I am old school, if I want a sensational looking cocktail I like to dress for the occasion and feel that I am in a special place where the establishment cares. This place was horrible, never going again.

3  Thank spiritlevel_10
Reviewed June 12, 2016 via mobile

I'll be honest. I'm a cocktail nut. I make my own tinctures, bitters, vermouth. I love my classics and twists on classics. And I love performance art.
After a 15 minute wait, that included a friendly approach from the maitre d to keep me posted, I was lucky enough to get a stool at the bar.
It's noisy. It's hard to hear the friendly and attentive mixologist who is seeking your order.
Let me say that the cocktail menu is well laid out, wonderfully graphic and comprehensive. I'd already researched the menu on line and half new what I wanted. A Noble Experiment, their version of a formulaic, a la carte, custom made Martini.
The liquid nitro chills the glass while the mixologist assembled the masterpiece. They will explain the drink if you like. It was dry and dirty, like I love it. And he checked if it was dry enough.
I also had a small plate of duck liver parfait. Superbe.
So many choices on the menu and yet the barman custom made his version of a Colombian for me, a cousin of the Manhattan.
But enough of my story. I should review the place.
If you're not in early, you may need to queue. It's popular. But they keep you posted and clear tables as quick as they can. It's cosy, funky, moody and has the biggest selection of whiskey I've seen.
I love sitting at the bar and watching the show of drinks being made. It's pure theatre. But there are comfy seats too.
The cocktails are fantastic. I only had one small plate. Staff are attentive and friendly. Not pretentious as can happen in trendy places.
I wish I lived in Melbourne. But wait! There's a branch in Sydney! Yay!

Reviewed June 8, 2016 via mobile

Had Campbeltown 15 yr springbank single malt for $20. Nice once in blue moon treat but pretty quiet early on Wednesday night Bar staff friendly and cutting block of ice with large toothed hand saw which was entertaining. Coming back with girl to try cocktails in few months