“The best place for a romantic dinner ”
Review of Punch Lane

Punch Lane
Ranked #16 of 4,329 Restaurants in Melbourne
Price range: US$4 - US$33
Cuisines: European, International, Wine Bar
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Chinatown
Description: A Melbourne institution now in its 22nd year Punch Lane is situated at the Paris end of the CBD near Parliament . We are also in the theatre precinct and perfect for a pre/post show bite to eat . glass of wine or a plate of cheese . Our food style is Modern European with Australian overtones , there is an extensive range of wines by the glass as well as an array of beers and spirits . We are house in one of the original CBD police stations as we where situated in the heart of the red light district of the time . We also boast the original chairs from the Southern Cross Hotel which was the home of the Beatles during their Australian Tour . We look forward to seeing you for a relaxed lunch, a glass of wine or an intimate dinner.
Reviewed 2 June 2017 via mobile

We went there for a Thursday night dinner and the place was packed! The atmosphere was fantastic, we ordered beef Gippsland beef and roast pork loin with matching red wine and they were awesome (ask the waiter for medium cock for the beef). The portion might not be enough so order some sides as well. The good thing was that I mentioned it's my girlfriend bday and they arranged a ricotta with a candle on and it was very nice, my overall experience of this place was great and I'd definitely go there again.

1  Thank Mohammad M
MartinPirc, Owner at Punch Lane, responded to this reviewResponded 22 June 2017

Great to read you felt looked after :)

Reviewed 31 May 2017 via mobile

I wasn't entirely convinced by Punch Lane. It's a nice place but sadly last night key things were out of sync. The food is nice but doesn't hit the lofty heights that the price tag would justify. My opening negroni was nice but felt smaller than it should be. Maybe I was just having a bad day, but looking at the drink made me pine for Romeo Lane just down the road which delivers a spectacular negroni. My mussels for entree were nice but were plonked down in front of me in a rushed way that I found disconcerting. I'm not in any way a pedant but the the lack of symmetry in parts of the dish was noticeable. It looked as it was - rushed from the kitchen to the table. The barramundi for main was pleasant but didn't ever strike me as a top restaurant dish. The broccolini side on the other hand was very good. The highlight of the night. The cheese platter to finish was lovely but again didn't seem like the type that would be delivered by a top restaurant. The choice of cheeses was innovative and good, but the plate arrangement seemed a tad limp and uninspired to me. There are lovely wines here and the choices are good. Service was uneven throughout the night. The greeting on arrival from a bubbly New Zealand woman was a highlight. She was warm, friendly and very efficient. Our servers were rather uneven beyond that. One knocked a red wine glass over that splashed the small amount of wine remaining over two of our party. Anyone can make a mistake and neither of our party was particularly perturbed despite the stains on their shirts but the incident and the slightly awkward way it was handled seemed symptomatic of the night. Our other main server was the one who always seemed rushed. She had a tight fixed smile throughout but was anything other than happy or relaxed. Watching the servers with us and occasionally around the room tending to us I suspected they were at least one staff member down as they were hideously busy. I left with a considerably lightened bank account and without the satisfied glow from a great experience. It may have just been a bit of an off night. But on this occasion Punch Lane was nowhere near a 5 to me. But, if it retains its current very impressive rating I'm likely to try again one day.

MartinPirc, Owner at Punch Lane, responded to this reviewResponded 22 June 2017

Thank you for taking the time to critic us, you clearly enjoy telling a story and draw the reader into all the aspects that engage people when we think of dining out . For over 23 years now this scene has been playing out at Punch Lane , high energy , slightly awkward moments , staff nailing it when there is high intensity, chefs plating up intensely when they have been overcome with orders coming in . Thank you for giving us some key points , words and thoughts that we will work with and continue the journey . Perhaps turning up each day , continuity looking for improvement and caring have rewarded us with a good rating on a few platforms . Hope to see you for the next round sometime in the future :)

Reviewed 28 May 2017

We booked this place as part of the kids BD family night out in the city. We love the location of this restaurant as it always full of Melbourne chic. We Loved it. Beautiful, well-designed place that is not too big and can fit either romantic, business or special occasion dinner for small to medium groups. The service was great and the food was very tasty. Everything we eat was good, the scallops, the venison, and the salmon entres and then the dorry special, the wallaby, the snapper and the duck mains - all very tasty. Really good time and highly recommended.

1  Thank Avi_Shaul
Reviewed 24 May 2017 via mobile

My wife and I came here on a Saturday night for dinner while on our weekend away in Melbourne. The food was very good without being brilliant. My wife had the scallops for entree which she said were amazing. We both had the beef for mains. The portions were very generous. But what makes this place a little bit special is the amazing wine list. If you like your wine like us, then I would visit just for that :)

Reviewed 21 May 2017

Chose Punch Lane via TripAdvisor search and managed to squeeze in for an early sitting using the very reliable on-line booking tool on the restaurant's website. We were given a 2 hour time slot 5:45 - 7:45pm, but didn't feel rushed and completed 3 fabulous courses by 7:30 .... & a few fabulous cocktails to boot... food fabulous, staff fabulous venue gorgeous, we most definitely will be back, this is my first ever 5 star review as I honestly cannot think of a way of improving the experience