“South America comes to Middle Park”
Review of Santiago

Santiago
Ranked #2,914 of 4,646 Restaurants in Melbourne
Cuisines: Spanish
Dining options: Reservations
Neighbourhood: Middle Park
Reviewed January 5, 2016

This restaurant has been open for over 10 years after the long standing hairdresser Thomas Unsworth-Smith, who had live and worked here for a few decades in his exotically decorated businesses, was forced to leave because of a rent increase by the new building owner. Santiago is open in the evening until late and the tapas food I ate was tasty and varied thought not cheap. Pleasant atmosphere inside as the place was extensively renovated just before the restaurant opened as well as outdoor dining. Cigarette butts left on the footpath though at times so put them in a street bin.

Date of visit: February 2015
1  Thank ajackson404

Reviewed August 13, 2015

Do not be fooled, this is NOT Spanish cuisine. Soggy, tasteless food, overcooked meat, patatas bravas drowning in aioli, cheap Sangria. Service was appalling, trying to convince us that food was traditional Spanish, condescending at best of times. And to top it off, extremely overpriced. I suggest the owners take a trip to Spain and experience a true Spanish meal. Very disappointing

4  Thank 255mercedesd
Reviewed August 13, 2015

Taste: Am I in outer space pluto?
Quality: yes this outfit is perfect for a retro theme party!
Service: Oh dear ... is that you captain?
Value: I swear there was another $100 bill in my wallet, bugger!

Return to sender - no one at this address

3  Thank George C
Reviewed August 8, 2015

This is a local restaurant for me and I try to support places close to home.I called in at 6pm and ordered Seafood Paella for 7:30pm.We arrived about six minutes late to be told by the waitress our food was cooked and ready at 7:30pm and as we were late it had got cold! It had been put back on the stove to warm it up.So it arrives a few minutes later in a large steel frypan which if used for cooking or put back on the heat would have been hot.It was cold and so was the paella.It was difficult to eat being dry and stodgy.The seafood (shrimp,prawn,mussels,calamari) was passable but all part of a congealed cold rice mess.Seriously it's a disgrace to treat customers in this way and I was embarrassed that it was happening in my own country,let alone city and suburb.I walk past this place frequently and it's rarely got more than a handful of people in it.Although I have had one good meal here previously I will not be returning under any circumstances.If the management of Santiago read this they should hold their head in shame.If your contemplating going here DON'T!

Date of visit: August 2015
3  Thank Christopher R
Reviewed July 18, 2015 via mobile

A group of 11 of us recently were there to enjoy their advertised Christmas in July - don't bother!
We arrived to find the upstairs dining area freezing cold with tiny fires going in the 2 fireplaces. We had to continually ask during the evening to have more wood on the fire which, I might add, we were happy to do ourselves...but there seemed to be none to be found!

The light fixture above our table had tge capacity to hold around 10 globes but had 1 in it so we 'stole' the tealight candles placed on the mantelpiece (6 in total) to be able to see what we were about to eat!

The food and wine were an absolute dissapointment. The quanity was fine but the quality left so much to be desired. The table service was sloppy and, despite repeated requests, we were not given any extra napkins...with the first dish being grilled whole prawns, you could see why we needed them!!

Each dish was mediocre to say the least and the paired wines even more so. The fact that we all had on our coats and scarves during the meals and that the room was so dimly lit more than likely added to the nad impression. Lucky we enjoyed each others company as it was the only positive of the night!!!!

I will never recommend this establishment to anyone and will never return.

What a shame.