“Perfect”

Ranked #65 of 4,564 Restaurants in Melbourne
Neighbourhood: Southbank
Neighbourhood: Southbank
Reviewed January 11, 2017

You should really do this once in your lifetime. Try a Bloody Mary, but clear, or pate which looks like a mandarin, or roasted pineapple. Have your ice cream made at the table! Staff were excellent, happy to tell you about the food or wine. Not cheap but not as expensive as I had feared, and big portions for nouvelle cuisine. You really should go.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,033)

Reviewed January 10, 2017

I think I was spoilt by the Fat Duck! I was not expecting the Fat Duck but it really fell short of my expectations. I have ummed and arrred about writing this review as I think Heston B. is absolutely incredible, love his shows and was lucky enough to go to the Fat Duck Melbourne. We went for my birthday on this occasion with family of which 2 absolutely loved it, 2 liked it but have had better and 2 did not like it at all. The 2 that didn't like it requested no garlic. That seem to present issues and adjusted meals from the menu were served. I hate saying this but I would not have liked them either and that was for 2 of the 3 courses. What I did love was the ice cream bar!! You really felt like it was a treat and it was! The staff are also unbelievable and so is the kitchen view where you see everyone working so hard. So I will leave it at that and hope Dinner turns into a Fat Duck again one day.

Reviewed January 10, 2017 via mobile

Excited to go to Hestons after going to the fat duck in bray london, 8:30pm the excitement starts when you walk up the dark passage with the weird smells and a tv playing pictures of food you think great this is going to be amazing it's like going to willy wonker, then the door opens that's it theatre over, your made to sit at the bar to be charged for an over priced cocktail, then taken to your table we had full view of the chefs at work it was a great table but no theatre just some pineapples going around on a spit roast, I thought maybe they were belly pork being Heston but no they were just some pineapples going around on spikes,
So dinner started 9:20 I had the patè and it was a Heston start it looked like an orange true style,
My husband had octopus the flavour was nice BUT it was over cooked and like rubber not a Heston inspiration on that plate,
Our main eventually arrived at 10:30 it looked nice but it was just steak and chips,
A really bad bit of steak and cremated chips ! Bone in rib the bone was there but someone stole the flavour maybe that was the Heston magic ??? How the hell do you take all the flavour out of a good bit of meat takes some doing I guess, I picked my way through the sinew of our cold meat, the mushroom ketchup was the best thing there. 11:30 desert turns up we had the tipsy cake as I was intrigued with the pineapple,
It was cold cooked pineapple with a pot of bread ??? I still don't get it ? What's the tipsy bit ?
We watched the chefs clear down and go home we were given a complementary spoon full of chocolate mousse and a biscuit to end our evening, everyone was offered the ice cream trolley that went about all night but not us, I guess it was time for the waitress to go home we didn't see the trolley again so we paid up And left full but disappointed.
If you want the full Heston experience go to the fat duck in london you won't be disappointed, if you want a hot steak and chips find a good steak house, this is a ok restaurant with hestons name there is nothing special about it, it really is just dinner a very over priced dinner.

3  Thank Niki M
Reviewed January 10, 2017 via mobile

Went to "Dinner" last night
Ambience was just good, not great.
The sit at the bar for cocktails is quite staged almost corny, but designed to take your first 50 bucks.
We got sat down almost as we chose the drink, then there's room for more diners to have the stage for 4 minutes
After sitting down we ordered water and a bottle of champagne which came fairly quickly.
We waited for 20 minutes to have our order taken. From sitting down at 8:40 out first course arrived at 9:30, second at 10:30 and desert at 11.15, by then I was way past hunger.
First course was ok, I had octopus, my wife's was nicer, the Pate, probably the highlight of the meal
We had the Sharing steak then at 220 aud, pretty awful, cold, tough, grisly, fat not rendered. Actually, I couldn't be bothered to complain, just because the staff where busy and not particularly friendly, apart from the correct words learned from the "waiters manual "
Desert was ok, just ok.
Overall massive miss, we have been to the fat duck in the uk and this is not on the same planet
Would never pay 500 aud for this below average food. Reading the great reviews here, I cannot imagine how it gets 5 stars
I give it 2 stars
One for the ambience
One for service
One for food, which I removed because of what we got for what we paid

2  Thank Andrew C
Reviewed January 9, 2017

This is quite possibly one of the best meals I've had. Whilst its not the easiest restaurant to find it is worth it. From the moment you walk in to when you leave everything is to the highest standard. The wait staff know their wines and food and this makes the occasion so much better. Whilst we love our wine we found the wine selection overwhelming, our wait staff could not have been more accommodating, they asked what we liked, the regions, the years and she narrowed it down and chose the most perfect wine, exactly to our taste. We were so impressed and excited at what else was to come. When you read the menu it reads so different to what they serve. The waitstaff asked what we had narrowed down our selections to then in great detail sent us on a journey of flavour and imagination whilst she described the dishes. This was spectacular as her description was so different to how the menu read. Last year we went to Vue de monde and spent $800 (for 2) and walked away disappointed and confused how we spent so much money but still felt like something was missing, here we spent less than half and walked away knowing this was money well spent. We can't wait to return and will do so again soon. Could not fault anything here, this is a must eat at restaurant.