“Convenient location for families”

City Stay Apartment Hotel
Ranked #49 of 65 Hotels in Perth
Reviewed 24 April 2012

I stayed with my 2 grandsons aged 12 and 13. Found the free buses just outside the Apartments very helpful. Harbour town just across the street also enjoyed by us. The apartments are old and the second bedroom quite small but having a laundry and kitchen was great as you had a choice for meals out or dine in.Managed to get to the ferry for zoo by free bus and also to the WACCA which I found helpful as walking any distance is a problem for me.The pool was a little cool but we probably used it a little late in the day and I guess it was April. Air conditioning was a little too noisy.

Room Tip: Ask for a room not overlooking Wellington Street as early morning traffic noise can be a problem
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank BarbarajMorrinsville
There are newer reviews for City Stay Apartment Hotel

Reviewed 9 April 2012

I stayed here with some friends in march and It dud what it said on the tin.

Good points;
Great location - harbour town across the way and the city and north bridge pubs and clubs 15 minute walk away.

There is a mini market on site and the Pool and kids playground are fine.

Good base.

Bad points;
The bathrooms are mouldy and grim. Take your own towels.
The beds are small
The decor is bland
The staff aren't very forthcoming
It's just a little run down

If you want something cheap and closeby go for this hotel but there is better out there.

• Stayed: March 2012
1  Thank d_nathan_99
Reviewed 21 March 2012

Check-in was quick and fuss-free (remember to bring your booking printout). We took the old-style lift the 2nd floor and opened the door to a clean, spacious 2-bedroom apartment, complete with tv, a dining table in the living area, stove, full-sized fridge, pots & pans that you need for cooking, washer/dryer (purchase your own washing powder at the reception), and 2 spacious rooms with windows.

The only downside was that the air-con unit was situated in the living area, so either you kept your doors open to let it flow in, or be satisfied with the fan unit inside the room.

There is a mini-mart at the reception to purchase food and misc. as the nearest grocery mart is a bus-ride away.

Location was great - the free yellow CAT city shuttle bus is just right outside (to and fro the city). You could take a 20-25 min walk to Forrest Place / Perth station if you wish (as the shuttle timing is quite limited). We took a leisurely 25-min walk to Kings Park - it's quite a straight road there with the initial steep "uphill climb". There is a Europcar rental office beside and a bottleshop too.

Free parking is available and quite popular.

Our window faced the swimming pool/sauna and barbeque, so remember to check if your windows are closed tightly (ours wasn't - so the lovely bbq smoke found its way in).

We had a good, peaceful and quiet sleep for all 3 nights. We loved the place and will be ready to choose it again if we return to Perth.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank FleurLee
Reviewed 21 February 2012

We stayed for 2 nights in a 2 bedroom apartment (#217) at the rear of the property and were very satisfied with the quality of the apartment for the price. The apartment was clean & functional and the staff were pleasant and obliging. The hotel has a well presented mini mart where you can buy your breakfast essentials for a reasonable price.

The hotel is located right on Perth's excellent free transit CAT bus system.

The swimming pool/barbecue area layout - at the back of the car park, is not very attractive however the pool was clean and refreshing in the hot summer weather.

Yes, we would stay there again.

Room Tip: Rooms at the rear of the property would be quieter.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Doug&Sharon
Reviewed 18 February 2012

This was not the best hotel we stayed in for our 9 day trip around Perth and Albany. I don't think I have encountered such selfish guests in all our years of travelling. Children playing chasing in the corridor at 6.30am and people continuing a drinking party at 1am around the pool area the next night, thank heavens we were only there to sleep (although with difficulty) and to shower (which was very nice) and change. There was parking available which seemed to be rare in Perth city. Close to highway to head north and close to the airport. If not fussy go for it.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 January 2012

The hotel staff were very friendly and helpful. The location is brilliant, Yellow Cat (free bus) just outside the entrance, Harbor shopping town across the street, and parking is free! Yes the rooms are simple, nothing fancy but they were clean. Would recommend highly if you needed to stay in the city for a few days.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank rianae
Reviewed 26 January 2012

We stayed at City Stay for 2 nights recently due to a medical appointment in Perth.
Unfortunately there is very little I could say that would be positive about this hotel.
On checking in we discovered that we had been booked into a two bedroom rather than a one bedroom apartment, we realized this when the cashier asked a much higher price than we were quoted. He was able to find us a one bedroom room and changed us there, however, still charged us a higher price than what we had initially been quoted.
The lifts was broken, 'until further notice', and we were on the third floor. As I have mobility issues we had specifically chosen a hotel with a lift... so it was disappointing to have to climb 3 flights of stairs. The hotel staff did not know when the lift would be repaired.
The first trip on the stairwell, I noticed that there was litter on the landing (gummy lollies and lolly wrappers.) These were not cleaned up for our entire stay.
The room smelled quite strongly of chemicals, and was not as clean as I would have liked. The hotel is 3 and a half star, but given the cleanliness and the very budget fittings, I would only describe it as a two at best.
As the apartment was self contained, we asked the cashier for directions to a supermarket. He drew us a little map, which showed a supermarket 2 blocks away. After walking for more than 5 blocks, I was no longer able to continue, so my husband left me outside a store (which was closed being a Sunday, so we couldnt ask directions) and continued on for 2 blocks. He could then see the supermarket, a small convenience store, still another block away that was closed (due to Sunday trading) This was fairly frustrating! My husband then took me back to the hotel and walked for another 45 minutes before he could find a take away venue.
The hotel was quite noisy during the night, it was a mechanical noise, perhaps air conditioning units? We are both very heavy sleepers but I noticed it when getting up during the night, it would keep any light sleeper awake.
A menu in the room suggested that we could ask for a top up of milk, tea, coffee and sugar each day for free, (We were given 4 tea bags, 6 sugars and 200ml of milk on arrival) However when I asked at reception I was told this was incorrect, that top ups were not allowed, and it would cost me $1!? I have never heard this in a hotel before.
The biggest and worst shock came though when we went to check out. The receptionist told us there was an outstanding amount on our bill due to us being in a 2 bedroom apartment. We told her we had been changed, even pointing out the staff member who changed us. She then decided that we had been given an incorrect rate, so even though we were in a one bedroom, we still owed the amount. She was extremely rude and aggressive, raising her voice and insisting we pay the difference. Eventually when I was close to tears, my husband pointed out that there is absolutely no way we would have accepted a higher rate and stayed there, but instead stayed in the city, so she said she would let it go this time.
I will never stay at City Stay again, and would not recommend it to anyone.

Room Tip: Book on the internet so that you have something in writing which shows the price, do NOT book over t...
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family