“needs to be demolished!”

The New Esplanade Hotel
Ranked #60 of 64 Hotels in Perth
Sydney
“needs to be demolished!”
Reviewed 3 May 2012

riggity old elevator that shudders when it stops - i could have sworn i heard the cables ready to snap. the door to the room has a bathroom door style lock on it. the bar fridge was dirty and smelly, and anything i put in there came out smelling the same. the a/c did not work. ratty old chair with a 60's style seat cushion tied on to cover the holes. a view of dead trees out the window. cracks in the windows so the breeze whistled through. uncomfortable mattress. restaurant was permanently closed. toiletries not stocked on arrival or during the stay. frayed and holed towels. cracked walls. paint chipped away. this place literally made me cry. definately NOT worth paying any sort of money for.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank MozartsGirl

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (103)
  • Indonesian first
Reviewed 2 May 2012 via mobile

We had 7 traveling friends for our trip to western Australia for 9 days trip and this Hotel was the last stop of our stay in Perth before flying back home. We had stayed 5 different accommodations, while traveling down south and back to Perth, and I must say this Hotel is one of the worst experience and unpleasant stay we had. The staffs are very unfriendly and not customer oriented at all. The rooms and their fittings are very run-down, for the price we paid, it was not worth it. If the staffs would have been more helpful, friendlier and smiley, maybe the stay would have been more acceptable.
All 7 agreed that we should not have stayed at this Hotel

Stayed April 2012
1 Thank LinnaKayen

Travellers are raving about these Perth hotels

Fitzroy Crossing, Western Australia, Australia
Reviewed 8 April 2012

Poor service at check-in. Our main problem was the cleanliness of the rooms. Sheer curtains by the bed were covered in white stains. See photos/video attached. Totally unbelievable!! Showed photos and video to the staff and was met with indifference. Changed rooms and had the sheer curtains from this room removed. Hair in shower on check in and room was not serviced during the day. Have stayed in backpackers overseas cleaner than this stinky hole!

Room Tip: Don't touch the curtains by the bed.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Kyla B
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 4 April 2012

As per the other reviews, The New Esplanade does have an excellent location, with views of the park and river (if you have a room on the front). However, the rooms on the back have a direct view of the interior of the carpark behind. Despite the relative cost ($$), the condition of the hotel is 'run-down', with cleaning a bit limited, and definitely an issue with the smell of the air/con. The windows have been sealed for some reason (with tape and toilet paper stuck in the cracks), which means you also can't air it out). For adjoining rooms, the soundproofing is non-existent, so you can hear everything that's happening next door. While the staff I dealt with were, in general, quite helpful - a chat with one of them revealed they were working for a management company appointed when the previous owner went bust. The new Chinese owners began taking over in the middle of my stay (April 1) and there appeared ot be a number of problems with systems, etc. So a suggested would be to double check reservations, etc. during the hand-over period.

Room Tip: Ask for one on the front of the building, on an upper floor
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank KeriBuenosAires
Swindon, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 March 2012

This was chosen at random on the internet, the hotel is and old fashioned looking building
in amongst its modern neighbours but well placed for the city centre and shops.
The rooms are, well best described as basic, clean.and minimal, its a no frills travelling salesman type of place. there is no restaurant so eating out is a must. good views across the waterfront, short walk across the park to the Bell tower where good seafood and other choices
are available. The Bell tower is the place to get on the free bus tours around Perth.
The staff at the hotel were most helpful in any way they can be with information and general assistance.

Room Tip: We could not tell what the other rooms were like the place was full for a convention.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 11 March 2012

The first thing that greeted me when entering this hotel was the smell. And that was the only thing that greeted me. Reception staff were not very plesant or polite when checking in.
The room seemed plesant enough when I entered. The bed, and curtains were pretty. Fittings were old but ok. I was a bit dubious about the warning that "management are not responsible for any valuables left in the room" so took my kindle, camera and any other electronics with me.

It was not until later in the day that I discovered that one light fitting did not work and there were blood stains on the sheets of my bed. When looking for shampoo/conditioner in the bathroom I instead found someone else's g-string with a used sanitary napkin still attached. I was not sure if I wanted to use the shower as it was dirtier than I was. The bathroom had missing tiles and dirty fittings.

In the end I had to sleep with the air conditioning on because the strange smell was making me feel unwell.

Upon checkout staff were plesant but not very helpful. At least the minibar price list, which was missing from my room, was not too bad. I was scared of leaving my belongings in the 'baggage' room for the few hours before my flight as it was not secure.
Hotel staff would not call me a taxi after I had checked out and so I wheeled my bags two blocks up the hill to the taxi rank in 38 degree heat.

I would never stay at this hotel again. I originally booked it because of the location and price, since most other hotels were booked up. I have stayed at a number of the lower end hotels in Perth before, each with their own flaws, but none so bad as this.

Room Tip: Choose a room elsewhere. Mine had a view of a dirty alleyway and was right next to the old and noisy...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
4 Thank Suzi D
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 28 February 2012

I stayed at "the New Esplanade Hotel" this week and wish I had found these reviews prior to booking. It is in a convenient location but that is where the good points end. The staff are unfriendly and unhelpful. Just hope you don't have to iron anything because if you do it will involve a trip to "the ironing room". There are 2 ironing rooms available and upon entering "the Ironing Room" you are greeted by a small room with an iron and what I can only guess was an ironing board. The reason I can't be sure is that it is filthy and has a big rip in the cover. I had to weigh up the decision whether to place a perfectly good clean (albeit wrinkled) shirt on this disgusting ironing board or wear the shirt with wrinkles. So I decided to check if the second ironing room was any cleaner. 2 floors up in the old lift I discover that the second ironing room is also used as a store room for old mattresses. The ironing board is only slightly better but still ripped, burnt and in dire need of replacement. There are no hooks to hang anything on and I suppose they expect me to drape my clothes over one of the old mattresses.
Now for the shower. It's not uncommon these days to encounter restricted shower heads due to water restrictions. I'm all for the environment so I'm pretty forgiving. There is a limit though. The shower in my room was merely a dribble. However, you can bypass the shower and use the bath tap by lifting the little lever on the bath outlet. So I had to revert to filling the bath tub, kneeling and splashing water over me like a monkey in a cage. It was refreshing despite the rust coloured water. It made the environmental saving of the restricted shower head completely pointless and in fact I used more water by having to use the bath.
On the way out I figured I should use the loo before the long trip home. I went to the foyer toilet only to find a small, dirty toilet. The sink had what appeared to be dried vomit on it. A great way to finish my stay at the hotel.
My advice. DON'T STAY AT THIS HOTEL. For the price you could get something way better. In fact spend a bit more and you will get a huge increase in service and quality.
I hope the operator of this hotel reads these reviews. Your hotel is disgusting and clearly a reflection of your own personal hygiene levels. It doesn't take a lot to fix the small things and make a hotel clean and comfortable. I'm guessing staff must be family members since they don't seem particularly concerned about their jobs. You made my trip to Perth an unpleasant experience. I hate this hotel!!!

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business