“Dirty place and worst staff in Australia.” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Billabong Backpackers Resort

Billabong Backpackers Resort
Ranked #20 of 58 Speciality Lodging in Perth
Melbourne, Australia
“Dirty place and worst staff in Australia.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 April 2012

I stayed for 2 weeks,way back in March '08 and I'm not sure how I lasted that long.
The staff are just a disgrace, they have a huge attitude problem, looking down their noses at the dirty backpackers (Yeah, you're so much better than us, we're travelling the world, you're working in a hostel, ever wonder where your life went wrong?), the most basic, simple request see's a look of disgust and disdain. I asked once if I could charge my phone behind reception; a very simple request I'm sure everyone would agree, as the other people in my room were charging their own phones and laptops in the room.
You would have thought by the look on the woman's face that I'd asked her if I could come into her house on Christmas day and take a dump on her kids.
She eventually agreed, but by God she was not happy about it.
They are also liars, there is no airport bus, I'm yet to hear any single person who stayed there say they were picked up by this bus, everyone who asks gets the same excuse about it being out of service or that they can't leave reception.
On one night I was sat outside quite late, just chilling with a beer, when a bunch of locals simply wandered in, took as much as they could carry from the fridge (beer and food) and walked back out. The door is never closed, and the guy supposedly "working" at night time was so stoned out of his head he wouldn't have noticed if his shoes were on fire, never mind anything else.
Luckily I never had anything in the fridge, as I'd already been told by others that nothing is safe in there and always goes missing, but certainly wasn't about to apprehend 4 drunk guys on my own either!
Do yourself a favour and stay elsewhere, there are much, MUCH better places than this to stay at, places secure, with friendly staff, and clean beds and bathrooms.
I must go have a shower now, writing this has reminded me of those 2 weeks and I feel dirty again.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank dazjoe

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Adelaide, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2012

Me and my girlfriend stayed here for a week in mid february and as soon as we walked through the door we felt out of place. There are people that have been living there for months and we felt like they really dont like you being there. There seems to be this vibe of "jocks and cheerleaders" if your not really tanned and "in shape" people dont seem to bother with you we literally had to force people to talk to us and it was hardwork.
Apart from the assistant manager who was really nice and gave us a decent tour around perth the rest of the staff are really snotty and rude why they are still employed there is beyond me. You have more chance of getting a smile off somebody who works around the picadilly area in London and for those who have been to London you should know what I mean.
The room was pretty clean and location was good and when we actually managed to sit by and go in the pool that was nice aswell but overall I really wouldnt bother unless you are a pure party animal and would like to try out for "The only way is essex" or "Jersey Shore".

Room Tip: If you want a decent nights sleep try to get a room that isn't facing the pool
Vancouver, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 February 2012

I've seen some horrible reviews of this place in dorms. Yet there are some good and bad aspects of the private double room I shared with my boyfriend. The price was very good for the location in Perth with its own private bathroom with small balcony. Aside from that it was definitely a backpacker's place. There was alot of noise at nights from the pool area which was always full. When I was there the place was packed so the kitchen was busy with people randomly moving around, the fridges were brimming, and aside from our room it was always noisy. The air con was pretty old and made alot of noise at night but if we opened the door to the balcony then it was loud from the kids outside and the mozzies would get in. The bathroom looked clean but smelled. The sheets and pillows were very cheap but we had brought our own to use. There was free breakfast every morning (standard milk, cereals, cheap bread and some spreads). Laundry was only available after 1pm and reception was always busy, though friendly if you were nice. All and all, this was the only choice in the city with our budget and the room suited our needs but if I was staying in Perth for less than a week next time I would splurge on a proper hotel.

Room Tip: If you are going to stay here, stay with friends or get a private room.
Halifax, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 February 2012

Stayed at billabong for a week at the beginning of february. The staff were rude and so unwelcoming, I don't think any of them wanted to be there or any guests to be there to be honest. The rooms were not clean and ours had quite a few cockroaches and the sheets were covered in stains, the only good thing was there was an ensuite to each 4bedroom dorm though this wasn't cleaned once in the whole week we were there. The room was 'cleaned' by the bin being emptied every day. The kitchen wasn't geat and, definitely not big enough for the number of guests. I didnt dare go in the pool even thin I did see other people in it. It wasn't too far from the city centre so the location was good and a easy walk. Overall I wouldn't ever stay here again or recommend anyone else to either!!

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank Globetrotter2011_12

Travellers are raving about these Perth hotels

Vancouver
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 February 2012

It was perfect to organize our stuff as we were leaving Perth and heading home. The place is filled with typical backpackers - aka loud British people drinking the cheapest beer all afternoon - but overall the place has all you need from the proximity to a zillion restaurants, decent beds and prices within the range.
I think that all backpackers are dirty to some extend so this one wasn't any different.
All together it was alright.

Dundalk, Ireland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 February 2012

I would almost advise this place to be burnt down. The staff were actually offensive to me upon checking out. Extremely rude and unfriendly. The room where I shared the people where all smoking weed in the room and one guy was urinating on the floor. I checked out and stayed in the Witches Hat. It is 1 million miles better. Go there instead. THE BILLABONG is the most HELLISH PLACE ON EARTH!

• Stayed February 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Weekendwarrior404
Belfast, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 November 2011

Really far away from nightlife. The atmosphere was boring and there were no togetherness among the people. Private dorm was ok and we had our own balcony. The kitchen was dirty but the continental breakfast was ok. Nothing else to say really, the hostel just was that dull.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends