See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed March 4, 2014

Was in Perth for work for the first time with office close to accomodation so therefore my choice. Basic clean place to put your head particularly if you are on holidays and have a budget. Perth is a very expensive city and Brownelea is about a 15min walk from local cafe's, restaurants and the city precinct. The closest public transport is the bus but as I was in walking distance I didn't use. There's a stove top and all of the pots and pans plus full size fridge if self catering and I suggest if you don't have a vehicle to pick up groceries on the way. The bathroom is newer than the rest of the apartment and the shower was good. Plus the service was excellent with management providing good turnaround of reservation confirmation, unintrusive text follow up on the day to check that you know where to pick up your key when you get there and ensured all the info you needed for free wifi etc has been given. Definately recommend if you are on a very low budget and want good value for money.

Room Tip: Go for the top floor, good view of the city which is nice to see each time you walk in and out of your apt. If not a room overlooking the pool.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
3  Thank Kris B
Reviewed February 19, 2014

this is the third time of posting: there seems to be a glitch in the posting mechanism.

I agree with a lot of the other reviews where there are positive comments about
this establishment with its friendly atmosphere, helpful staff (the office is
open only during office hours though), good facilities, very reasonable price
and OK location.
However, since I consulted these reviews to choose the apartment, I feel obliged
to add my feedback.
The bed I slept in the weekend before last was infested with bed bugs. I have
80 bites to prove it which probably means 80 scars on my arms, etc.
I read that bed bugs do not mean dirty accommodation and I have no complaints on
the cleanliness of the rooms. But if you are in the accommodation business,
rooms need to be checked thoroughly before let.
I was given a sincere apology, a full refund and my doctor's expenses also
refunded. But I suffered two nights with three hours' sleep (until the
antihistamines kicked in on the third night) and the itchiest bites I've ever
had. I have had assurances that the bed has been properly treated the same day
I left.
Room Tip:
check all bed sheets in every hotel for little black spots!
I'll spare you the photos of my 80 bites and the scars I now have.

Room Tip: there is no restaurant or fitness center that I know of but the pool looked inviting for warmer months.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
4  Thank JJJJ253
peng U, Manager at Brownelea Holiday Apartments, responded to this reviewResponded February 24, 2014

Hi

We are sorry to hear that you had been bitten by bedbug in Oct 2013. We had attended to the matter immediately and engaged the professional to fumigate the apartment and the ones next to the room. Up to today, we do not have any problem with bed bugs.

We take the matter very seriously and we hope that you would understand that it is sometimes beyond our control.

We treat our apartments at least once a year but sometimes, things happen.

We apologise again and we do whatever we can to ensure that the apartment is clean and tidy.

Sincerely yours

Reviewed January 28, 2014

Our room had every amenity we required, including refrigerator and stove and cooking gear, but it seemed a bit shabby and in need of a facelift. There is wifi, but we had to sit out on the steps to get any signal. There are laundry facilities. The location is a reasonable walk to downtown and easily accessible by car. There is a very nice cafe across the street. If I returned to Perth and wanted a self catering accommodation I would stay there again.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank N0dell
Reviewed January 2, 2014

Perth is not the easiest place to find decent accommodation at peak summer season and at a reasonable price, but Brownelea Apartments does all of this.

In a very quiet street about a ten minute walk from the Main Streets of Northbridge this worked perfectly for our family of four. True that the apartments a somewhat dated and the beds in particular could do with an upgrade but the nice kitchen, excellent shower and general cleanliness more than made up.

The owners were very helpful and the free blue bus line ran only ten minutes walk away.

Overall spot on for what we needed and at a price that is affordable.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank RPAPKPMP
Reviewed December 30, 2013

Inexpensive accommodation in Perth is difficult to find so we were pleased to find this one. It is an old apartment building three blocks from Northbridge and only a 10 minute walk to the start of the CBD. There is a great cafe (Le Papillion) across the road and the renovated Hyde Park Hotel is just down the street. The accommodation itself is very basic and elderly but clean. There is a small kitchen with all the essentials. The pool is large and well kept including a barbeque if you like to entertain at the hotel. It was great to have free wifi!

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the first or second floor. Most ground floor rooms are near the pool and can be a little noisy.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family