“Good value for money.”
Review of Alderney on Hay

Alderney on Hay
Ranked #54 of 66 Hotels in Perth
Reviewed 1 April 2012

This is a great option if you are looking for some affordable family accomodation in the centre of Perth. Yes, it's a bit old and needs some updates but location is good and the rooms are quite big. Parking is also a bonus but the reception is closed too early.
Rooms are ok, cleanliness is not as it's best.

Room Tip: All rooms are the same but the lower floor can be a benefit if yiu can't find the onkly trolley...
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Oron R

Reviewed 29 March 2012

I booked an apartment here because I was travelling for work and was desperate to find accommodation in a terribly overbooked Perth.

The pros:
- the location (East Perth) isn't bad although if you were staying here for extending periods, you'd probably want a car to get around - it's about a 20 minute work to get into the Perth CBD proper
- the apartment was very large and would have plenty of room for families. It had full kitchen and laundry facilities which would be good for people who like self-contained accommodation.
- as opposed to previous reviews, my room didn't smell like smoke at all

The cons:
- the apartments (or at least the one I stayed in) are not new nor are they amazingly clean. I have pretty high standards where cleanliness is involved and I wouldn't have described the room as out and out disgusting but it wasn't super clean either. Things like dirt/dust in the corners in the rooms and slightly stained bedspreads in one of the rooms (the sheets themselves seemed ok) spring to mind.
- the reception closes and is locked at around 7pm and then you're pretty much on your own. After checking in before 7, I later wanted to leave the apartments to have dinner with a friend and had to get another guest to show me where the exit door was as I couldn't get out through the reception entrance.

This place is cheap and I think it's fair to say you get what you pay for. Overall, I wouldn't say the experience was terrible but I certainly wouldn't hurry back.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 26 March 2012

Awful - the worst place I have ever stayed in - apartment was old, shabby and had stained bed linen. Never again

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
4  Thank Stephanie H
Reviewed 16 March 2012

Dont ever stay here. The staff attitudes are absolutely Disgusting. My father was called a fool to his face. On arrival (after traveling from Sydney since 4am) we were met with some sullen faces, we were asked our car rego number, handed a pile of papers and told to "sign here", all that was verbally highlighted to us was the code to access the carpark, the code to get inside the building and told not to park in a colored or reserved spot. Being exhausted we went to our room and went to sleep. The following morning when we went to go out, our car wheel had been clamped we had to pay 140 dollars to have it removed. The hotel told my father he was an ignorant fool for not reading what he signed where it stated that the pile of papers that were handed to us included a permit that we needed to display on the dash even though we already were given the code to enter the carpark. The whole situation was handled disgustingly. The lower review that says there are signs all through the hotel elevators, and your room is not true. Never again.

• Stayed: March 2012
6  Thank Kwell
Reviewed 9 February 2012

This was without a doubt the worst accommodation I have ever stayed, a rating of 1 out of 5 isn't low enough for this place.

Looked like someone had lived in it for a week before I had got there. There was hair in the bed, used soap containers in the bathroom. The whole place smelled like smoke, and the front door had obviously had someone kick it in at some point. There was no shower gel in the bathroom and the bed was destroyed.

I would never stay here again, biggest mistake, and really brought my otherwise excellent Perth experience down a lot lower.

Room Tip: Doubt there's a good room in the entire establishment, avoid at all costs, or better yet sleep o...
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
4  Thank AndyPandy111
Reviewed 27 January 2012

We haven't stayed here for quite some time and wont be staying again. The apartment itself was clean and tidy with all we wanted it was just the getting there that was the problem. We arrived just on 5pm so it was bordering on after hours. 3 groups of people were all trying to get in the back door and nothing worked. When we rung, we were told we had to use a different door which meant dragging our bags down a ramp and round a corner, very inconvient when the boom gate was in the way. The lift was dirty with no air con and with everyone in it by the time we got to the top floor it was hard to breathe. It appears that this place has been taken over by another company who haven't got the same standards as the previous owners. Not going back as when we rang with different requests, it just wasn't happening.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank Trudy C
Reviewed 23 January 2012

I have stayed in this hotel twice. I was attracted to its proximity to the city, reasonable room rates, and fair condition of rooms.

The staff were not overly helpful nor cheerful, but I guess this is typical of Perth, as I ahve experienced similar service in other Perth hotels.

Breakfast was served in a adjoining cafe, and the catering staffs were quite friendly and efficient.

This is a cheap hotel near the city, and is ok for a short stay.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled solo