“Good location but not a great hostel”

The Emperor's Crown Hostel
Ranked #8 of 55 Speciality Lodging in Perth
Reviewed 28 January 2012

Given some of the other hostels we had stayed in our trip I wasn't impressed with this place, especially given the price. The first impression wasn't that great from check in where the lady on reception wasn't the most accommodating or informative, for instance I wasn't made aware that we would need to hire crockery with a refundable deposit, or that we would need to source our own matches or lighter to use the hobs in the kitchen. We had a private double room which was ok but not as clean as I would hope. The communal kitchen wasn't the most spacious and it was a bit of hassle trying to cook anything during peak times. There were also a lot of rules and about various things, some seemed quite petty. All in all I wouldn't stay here or recommend it. The internet was also quite pricey especially given the fact that some hostels we stayed at managed to provide free internet.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 18 January 2012

This hostel has great potential but is let down by guests and cleanliness.

I was in a 4 bed ensuite dorm. There was barely room for my bag thanks to the mess of one girl, whose clothes and hair appliances were scattered all over. I didn't even use the ensuite as it was such a tip, the shower was full of bottles of shampoos etc and the sink surrounded by various beauty products, some of which were spilt over the sink and floor. The manager really should be making sure rooms are relatively tidy for all people staying.

There were 4 massive lockers in the room, but despite only 2 beds being taken all the lockers were in use. I had to empty stuff out of one to use it.

The hostel felt like it needed a proper clean, all the door knobs were slimy and the door to my room looked particularly grubby, as already said the ensuite was pretty grim. It should also be noted that if drinks dispensers are under stairs where the tops can be seen it would make sense to wipe them off occasionally. Saying all that the shared bathroom facilities were fine.

I was relieved I was only staying 1 night and leaving early in the morning.

It might also be useful to have signs to the rooms as it's a bit of a maze and room 28 was next to room 10 rather than following on from 25, 26 and 27.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 7 January 2012

Living in WA and Australia for many years, each time when I come to Perth I stay here. It is one of the most cleanest hostels I have ever stayed in my life (and I travelled all around the world). Matrasses, bed linen ... all quite new ... no bed bugs here ! Also it is a very safe place to stay as the security is present in the evening and night as well. Thank goodness it is a quiet place and not a 'party' hostel. The staff and manager are always trying to accommodate you the best they can. Location is perfect ... walking distance from the shopping area. Keep up the good work !!

Room Tip: There are several options re: how many in a (dorm)room. Great benefit is that your bed is already ma...
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 15 December 2011

I hate it when this happens. Mostly young australians are staying in this place. They smoke right under the non smoking sign, play soccer in the hallway, drink and party in the common parts of the hotel, and don't clean their own mess in the kitchen. It's a bit tiresome. The night curfew is enforced though, which is excellent.
The staff was not the most helpful.
The rooms were ok, but really overpriced.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 December 2011

The rooms were clean but slightly small, and where we stayed, the walls were thin and the floor creaked. The kitchen was slightly cramped and because the fridge was shared with an adjoining cafe, there was not much room to store food. The backpackers were noisy and rowdy and our food even got stolen there. All in all, it's a good place to stay because the rooms are clean and the location is central.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 December 2011

I found the receptionist to be very unfriendly and unhelpful. The room itself (I booked a bed in a 4 share dorm) was alright, but the music coming from the recording/rehersing studio next door can be very irritating should you want to get to sleep at a reaonable hour. Make sure to ask back for your key deposit should you be leaving early the next morning as no one will be in reception to give you your deposit back (and you will not be made aware of this).

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank L_Maya
Reviewed 1 December 2011

I had a great time here. I landed at perth airport a real mess- had lost luggage and was fighting with best friend because she hadnt booked accom like she had said. they were uber helpfull and let us check in straight away - they were amazing and friendly - i look back and think how grumpy i was but it didnt seem to bother them so fve stars for putting up with me. lol. Anyways they gave us a walking map and showed me the free bus things-called CAT- so we had stuff to do while qantas found our bag in cairns!! was a great stay.

Room Tip: they are all really diferent ask to see them first.
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends