“Perfectly unique ”
Review of Pasture

Pasture
Ranked #203 of 2,468 Restaurants in Auckland Central
Price range: US$150 - US$180
Description: A small, independent restaurant with 20 seats focused around our open kitchen and fire. We serve one set menu that is designed for the season and driven by our local produce. Our philosophy is to work with whole animals, seafood and line caught fish. We practice our own preservation, curing, dry-aging, fermentation, baking and cheesemaking. Our innovative dishes can be matched with with diverse alcoholic drinks, or our handmade non-alcoholic pairing. Our drinks list celebrates provenance and minimal intervention producers. We're called Pasture because we are inspired by the New Zealand landscape. We are owner-operated, with Ed & Laura Verner as your hosts. Awards and recognitions Cuisine Good Food Awards - Two Hats, Chef of the Year (Ed Verner), and Best Drinks List - 2017 Metro Top 50 - Best New Restaurant - 2017
Reviewed November 5, 2018 via mobile

Wow what can I say, this place is an absolute must when in Auckland. It’s very exclusive, with only 12 guests seated per evening, so definitely book well in advance. The ambience here is one that welcomes you the moment you step inside. Natural light combined with the open fire where the chef works his magic creates a relaxing and enchanting atmosphere. The food is handled with care and passion, and the menu is well thought out, and presented exquisitely. The drinks pairings were a perfect match with each course, and just as the food came, was also unique and unlike the standard drinks you would expect. They create and make some of their own drinks and they are all impressive. Each experience will be different as the menu changes daily to reflect the freshness of their ingredients, so you will want to keep coming back. Cannot recommend this restaurant enough! Unlike any other dining experience I’ve had.

Date of visit: November 2018

Reviewed October 3, 2018

We finally made it to Pasture and it was such a wonderful evening. I love the trend towards seasonal ethical local NZ food so was excited by everything we were served. Amazing fresh flavours, and great attention to detail.
At home we are on the buzz of doing some preserves, chutneys, baking bread, curing meat etc, and the winter menu had a lot of these flavours and techniques, but done oh so well. I think it would be great to see what new dishes they come up with as the seasons change.

Some plates were so simple, but so well done. Raw Trumpeter - but served on a block of ice - genius. Eds sourdough with aged butter kinda blew my mind to the point of getting a slightly overwhelmed. Bread and butter never tasted so good. ever.
it was followed by 3 peices of cured meat on the plate - but such interesting flavours.
Other plates were more complex, and had combinations of flavours and ingredients that I'd never thought would work, but tasted great, were really well balanced and looked fantastic. The aged Wagu Beef was pretty spectacular.

My wife had the alcoholic drinks menu, and I had the non alcoholic. The non alcoholic drink selection is mind blowing - I'd say as much thought and crafting has been put into these drinks as the food on the plate - and they are well matched too. Some great combinations of flavours and ingredients in the drinks.
Sitting at the pass, it was intriguing watching everything come together in front of us.
Laura and Ed were happy to answer our many questions about the ingredients, and process of creating the meal and are pretty passionate about using whole animals, seasonal sourced ingredients, local, wild, foraged, line caught fish, etc etc.
We enjoyed the fun music mix, and the vibe of the whole place.
Such a good night, and one we will not forget.

Date of visit: September 2018
Reviewed June 2, 2018

We are a party of 4 visiting on a Friday evening. Pasture serves degustation menu only with beverage pairing but will cater to dietary requirement as one of our party is a pescetarian. We also ordered the special of the evening (additional charge) which is sea snails and mutton bird. Some of the highlights are

aged butter: Our whole table agreed it is the best butter we have eaten in our life. Butter is never the same once you tried the Pasture butter.

Snapper: again one of the best piece of fish I have eaten for a long time. It is cooked just right - which is actually very difficult to achieve.

Aged lamb rump - At first I am a little taken back as lamb rump is not a very good cut of lamb but I was wrong. This is a excellent piece of lamb - one of the best I have in a long time. The server told us it is aged for 5 weeks.

Mutton bird - it is my first time to have mutton bird. It is an interesting experience. You know you are eating a bird but your brain/taste will tell you that you are actually eating a fish.

The beverage pairing is interesting - Pasture's pairing is not the traditional wine match - they will pair with small producers made with interesting technique that remind me of how Momofuku Seiobo (Sydney) did their pairing. However when compaired I must say Momofuku Seiobo did a better job but it is a good attempt for Pasture.

Overall Pasture is a "new style" restaurant that knows what they are doing. If you are into food this is a place you cannot miss. However some of their dish/pairing can be "too far ahead of the time" so a more conservative patron may not like it as much.

Date of visit: May 2018
Reviewed May 13, 2018

What a gem! Small, modern, super-chic interior with only a hand-full tables, we were lucky to get a reservation without the usual long waiting list.

Seated at the bar, we felt as we scored the best table in the house! Who doesn't like a chef's table without the additional hefty cost that allows you to glimpse into the kitchen to see what's 'cooking'?

The food - hands down - one of our most memorable experiences during our three-months visit to Auckland. Executed beautifully, creative and incredibly fresh, all dishes surprised with clean flavors leaving you longing for 'just one more bite'. Ingenious to offer non-alcoholic pairing in addition to the usual wine-pairing; we opted for both and can truly recommend it.

Date of visit: April 2018
Reviewed April 29, 2018

This past Saturday we dined at Pasture and I have to say it was the best dining of my life.

And for a 35 week pregnant woman with a stomach the size of an ant's, who wasn't glossy eyed with wine, to say that... is high praise.

It's special occasion type stuff, but also so easy to eat you could go whenever.
I've never been so excited about bread. And Butter.

It's authentic, and the owners are the loveliest, least pretentious, and most passionate people you could imagine.

HIGHLY recommend.