“Nice hotel, walk to CBD”

Kiwi International Hotel
Ranked #36 of 66 Hotels in Auckland Central
Reviewed 1 November 2011

We arrived mid morning from the airport and the clerk was able to find us a room. The room was basic but very clean with a good ensuite. The front desk clerk also called to confirm our rental car pick up for the next morning. We wear able to easily walk downtown and see all the sites and we were not bothered by any street noise that night. We were up very early the next am and the front desk clerk allowed us into the continental breakfast area early. It was a perfect start to our New Zealand RWC trip.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 31 October 2011

Very well located, but away from the noisy part of downtown. Newly decorated. I would recommend this accommodation to anyone looking to upgrade from a Hostel type option, to a good value hotel-style place.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 29 October 2011

Small rooms, which vary from room to room. Barely enough room to put a large suitcase and certainly nowhere to hang clothes. Shared showers which show in the price of the rooms I guess. Good cheap place to la your head but nothing more

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 19 October 2011

Old StyleHotel, affordable and close to city. I travelled with a group of students and we stayed here prior to flying out of Auckland in the morning. Good sleep, clean rooms.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 18 October 2011

I took a group of 40 Aussie students on ski trip organised by Ski Fever. After a fantastic tour skiing at Turoa, Jet boating, Lugging, Zorbing, we stayed at Kiwi International overnight for a days shopping in Auckland. The rooms were clean with new beds, sheets and pillows. I had the best night sleep. The staff were friendly and helpful. The dinner was tasty and filling and the hot breakfast was even better with the essential, a long black for me. I was then ready to start the shopping which again is a breeze because you just have to walk down the road and it’s all there. The location is a real bonus. I will certainly be staying there again as it can cater for large groups but also for individuals with a variety of rooms ranging from small to apartment style.

Room Tip: Check your room has an ensuite, there are lodge rooms and size of room, some are small
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank Markus H
Reviewed 12 October 2011

Good option for a quite place on Upper Queen Street.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 September 2011

I needed somewhere to stay overnight before an international flight, and expecting to spend the day sightseeing I had little need for much more than a bed. I booked a single room with ensuite for $79 and figured at that price (and with the RWC opening the night after) that if it wasn’t up to scratch it was only for a night.

I’m pleased to say that not only was it up to scratch, it was really good – the location (top of Queen St, just before K Road) was convenient for using the Airport Shuttle bus – the drop off and pickup points couldn’t have been closer – but the hotel is down a short driveway which shields it from the worst of the street noise.

Kiwi International would fit into the flashpackers end of the market, even my single room despite being small had a flat screen TV and clean modern furnishings, and the ensuite was clean and modern too.

There is a bar and restaurant downstairs, I didn’t use them but would have been happy to do so – but there is a string of great Asian restaurants across the road that beckoned and I tried those instead.

Checking in and out was painless, internet facilities are good and the secure storage locker is within sight of the front desk so I was very comfortable leaving my bags in there. As a smoker I’m banished outside, which I’m fine with as long as there’s somewhere to go, and sure enough they have a little bench and a bin tucked around the corner from the entrance.

I felt safe both in the hotel, and the surrounding neighbourhood. With the variety of rooms they offer the clientele are also varied – young through to mature, solo through to families.

On the odd occasion that I get up to Auckland for a break, I’ll be looking to stay here again. I’d especially recommend Kiwi International to travellers who appreciate hotels/hostels which aren’t trying to be party central for their guests, and those who already have a game plan for what they are going to do in Auckland and just need a base from which to do it.

Room Tip: The building is old (windows aren't sound proof) so ear plugs will be a help if you are sensitiv...
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled solo
kiwi_mark411, Owner at Kiwi International Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 September 2011

Thank you for taking the time to write such a comprehensive review. I'm sure other travellers looking for good value and location at a reasonable price will find this helpful.