“Fabulous Food and Service”
Review of Mekong Baby

Mekong Baby
Ranked #36 of 2,456 Restaurants in Auckland Central
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Mekong Baby takes diners on an adventurous tour down the Mekong River, offering sophisticated, authentic Southeast Asian flavours and a mixology of spices. Every dish has unique, intensified flavour profiles and is made from absolutely the freshest produce.
Reviewed April 4, 2018

Great place for a group as they recommend shared plates. Fabulous food and they let you know which ones are spicy and which ones are mild. The service was excellent and very friendly. Loved it and will be going back.

5  Thank MeganK2194

Reviewed April 4, 2018 via mobile

Well worth a visit , a locals favourite and we went with our family who live nearby. The soft shell crab, wok squid and fresh spring rolls are amazingly good

4  Thank Louise P
Reviewed March 30, 2018

I have been here a number of times recently and it is just fabulous. There is a real vibe and buzz but you can still hear your fellow diners. The chef's choice of dishes is just fantastic and more food than you can eat really. It represents amazing value for money. You certainly go home full! All the food is tasty but the stand outs are the papaya salad, the lamb ribs and sticky pork. By the time you get to the curries, you feel a bit jaded but they are delicious too!

Interestingly, the night before I came here last, I'd been to another fine dining restaurant in Auckland, paid more than double what I paid at Mekong Baby and went away disappointed and hungry. I know which I'll be rushing back to...

Do book as it gets packed out. It is easy to do online.

5  Thank nesbitevans
Reviewed March 28, 2018

We were touring the North Island and arrived in the afternoon where we met my son and his partner who live in Auckland at Mekong Baby for dinner - we ate there and went home so there was no other place this could have happened. The next day the whole 4 of us were sick. My son managed to go to work but had the shakes and was on the toilet all day. His partner could not even go to work, she was very ill. My partner had stomach cramps and was at the toilet and I was very ill and ended up in bed for the afternoon and it took 6 days to go. I I contacted them through their website and have been told that they would give me a $50 voucher for my trouble. Our dinner was over $300 and it ruined our holiday as we were to visit Waiheke the next day to meet with family. Their correspondence has been rude and unless I produce a doctors certificate they do not believe the 4 of us. Absolutely shocking. I have tried to contact the owner as I know how big a managers ego can be. But nothing. Very Very disappointed Mekong.

2  Thank HJNZTravel
Mek0ngBaby, Owner at Mekong Baby, responded to this reviewResponded April 5, 2018

We are throughly disappointed that TripAdvisor allows people to anonymously place reviews on businesses in order to try and privately extort money based on accusations that have no proof or substance.

We have been in constant communication with Hilary Saxton of Brisbane, and have simply asked for her medical certificate which we feel is fair based on the very strong accusations she has made. We are a business who cares and has incredibly high standards (we have an 'A' rating) and monitor our food health and safety to a very high standard. We have thoroughly investigated the situation and spoken to other diners of the same food on the night in question, this is an absolute anomaly. In order for us to complete our investigation we need proof of what the sickness was from the diners. Hilary is refusing to help, has made some very damaging remarks about our company and is privately demanding money from the company, without any proof of her claims.

TripAdvisor should be a place for people to post factual real reviews, not a place to sabotage companies reputation in order to privately
hold companies to ransom.

Reviewed March 28, 2018

My wife and i had dinner (after recommending by my son). We did not have a booking but it was not a problem. As it was the day before the Easter break, the place was quite busy. We were seated without any issues and Korma (I hope i spelled it right) explained the menu.
We ordered Wagyu & Lemongrass Grilled In Betel Leaves - this has the right spices in it and the dipping sauce balanced everything, and the Madras Spicy Chicken Curry, Potatoes, Aubergine, Yoghurt, Roasted Coriander, we told Korma to make it medium. this was very good. We've decide to have this medium. Thru the course of the meal Korma was asking us about how the meal and when my wife told her that the chicken was too spicy for her, she offered milk to soften the spiciness of the food.
WE ARE DEFINITELY COMING BACK.

6  Thank larryofmel