“Average”

Microtel Backpackers Hamilton
Perth, United Kingdom
“Average”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 December 2011

We stayed here for one night and did not use any of the facilities other than the bed and bathroom.
We had booked using hostelworld which listed the room as Double Bed Private - Ensuite. The lady at reception could not find our booking as they had not had any communications from Hostelworld in the last few days so we were instead put in to a double bedroom with shared bathroom. No discount offered
The room itself seemed clean enough but was very small - about the length of the bed and the width of the bed + 1 metre. Only plug socket was the one the tv was plugged into.
Not enough parking spaces so we had to park round the corner.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
USA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 December 2011

We stayed at the Micro Tel for two nights at the end of a trip through New Zealand. I'm writing because some of the reviews on this site seem extreme and completely opposite of what we experienced. It is located on a pretty busy street (you only hear the traffic if you stay in a room at the very front) with a small parking lot in back and some rather small rooms. However, it was clean, the staff was friendly, the facilities in general were in good shape, and we were lucky to get a free upgrade to a studio room with our own bathroom and small kitchen area (fridge, jug, toaster, microwave, free tea & coffee, air conditioner). I did see how small the other rooms were so I can see that travelers might be turned off by having barely any space beyond the bed. I can also see how some might find the kitchen area a bit cramped or untidy. The owner showed us where they are in the process of remodeling to make the kitchen a much larger area, but truly the current one is likely good enough for what you need. We were there when a large group of softball players were in-house for a local tournament, and the owner advised us that it might be a bit noisy and perhaps crowded in the kitchen. They were kids with some of their parents from Wellington, and they were great fun. The next night when adults and couples were staying was when it got a bit noisy but not unreasonably so. In reference to the comments about dirty conditions and unkind staff, I found the complete opposite to be true. I would recommend staying here if you are okay with a small space and being located in a busy location. It is adjacent to a Pak 'N Save grocery store, minutes from the main shopping/restaurant area and a short drive away from the spectacular gardens. For the price, off-street parking and a decent place to stay, I would definitely recommend Micro Tel Hamilton.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
Ballina, Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 September 2011

I was only in Hamilton for one night as a stop-over between desitinations and thought "How bad can it be?" Haha, oh it can be very bad!

The guy at reception was nice and even carried my bag when showing me to my room, but after that it was just dismal. My room (a single with a bathroom shared with one other which was not occupied) was about the size of the cells at the Old Melbourne Gaol and was very dirty. The bottom sheet had hairs on it and the floor didn't look to have been vaccuumed in a month. I resorted to caccooning myself in the clean top sheet to sleep, luckily it wasn't a cold night.

The kitchen was disguting. I used only the microwave and even that was a stretch for me; I stuck to eating with my own camping utensils.

Do not stay here unless you're a unhygienic slob yourself.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled solo

Travellers are raving about these Hamilton hotels

Auckland Region, New Zealand
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 December 2010

We had a group staying for one night in Hamilton.
Rooms were basic and clean, thats all we needed. so perfect for us.
Microlet was in a great location, but we got no sleep due to the noise. People came and went throughout the night, every movement and converstaion was heard!
Rooms advertised as air conditioned - Completely untrue. We had to open the main door to get any air in.

Would recommend if you staying one night for a stopover, but not long term, or if you want to get any sleep!

• Stayed December 2010
Calgary, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 December 2010

we arrived microtel around 10pm, the stuff was friendly. there were people partying at the back yard. luckily they went away pretty soon. we stayed in a double room, it was pretty clean (not for hotel quality, but good enough for the money i've paid). shampoo and soap were provided. the water quality was really nice. the TV in our room was not working probably but we had a good night sleep.
it;s recommended by us i think, at least you can have a good sleep.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank rayg50
Wellington, New Zealand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 September 2010

After reading the last review thought better add a review as I felt it was a great place to stay was there for 4 nights and my linen was clean fresh, rooms were serviced daily the staff were helpful, friendly and funny.

The rooms are small but have everything I need and that didn't put me off as it is a modern hostel with good lounge. Hostel has just had a major refurbishment and is looking good, nice and vibrant.

I'd recomend it thanks microtel for the good stay.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with friends
Christchurch, New Zealand
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 August 2010

It was a major disappointment. The room was as small as 3 square meter. all the beddings were dusty, stinky, dirty, and totally disgusting. the corridor was narrow and dirty with construction material left on the ground. There was no heater in the room and when I asked for one, the staff said not all the rooms have heater. We stayed for 3 nights there was no single change of any thing (sheets, rubbish, ...) . The staff couldn't even confirm my reservaion so he asked me to login to my personal email address and show him the confirmation email I received from YHA (Youth Hostel Association).
The room was so dusty that I gut sick and couldn't breath.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled on business