“A hidden gem what fantastic food!”
Review of Bay View Hotel

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Bay View Hotel
Ranked #114 of 229 Restaurants in Napier
Reviewed October 12, 2014

I happened upon the Bay View Hotel in Napier by accident. I was visiting relatives in Gisborne. My brother and his partner have stall at the antiques market held on the first weekend of the month in the adjacent hall. We had planned on going for a drive back to Napier and having lunch, after dropping them off and noticed some of the stall holders eating the breakfast from the pub. It smelt and looked delicious. So when we wandered outside to the very pretty garden bar, we decided to eat there. After a quick look at the menu, 2 of us ladies ordered the BLT and another ordered the Special burger. OMG! What beautiful food! I REALLY REALLY wished I had ordered the burger because it looked and tasted AMAZING. Don't get me wrong..That BLT was stunning too. I've eaten BLT'S all around the world and it's up there as one of the best!. To top it all off, the locals were super friendly AND hilarious and the owners couldn't do enough to make us feel welcome and looked after. My biggest disappointment was that we were unable to stay for Pig on a Spit they hold on Sunday. Apparently it's legendary. I've already made a promise to be there for the Pig on a Spit on my next visit to Bay View Hotel next March. This place has fantastic food and amazing value. It might be trendy to go eat at those expensive, overpriced places in town..but THIS is magic!! Put it on your bucket list!

2  Thank Flightless1

Reviewed August 5, 2014

Every Sunday they do a traditional English roast with dessert. For $22 a head you can't go wrong. It's a carvery-style setup with plenty of food - those with big appetites are encouraged to go back for seconds. Great idea and very well supported.

1  Thank Paul S
Reviewed June 23, 2013

The owners of this wee pub were fantastic. They went over and above by picking us up from the camping ground and returning us after dinner at no extra cost, and everybody at our table was amazed at the great value of the meals we had. We liked that it wasn't fancy and the menu wasn't huge but there was something for everyone. What a shame we weren't there for the pig on a spit on a Sunday night. Would definitely visit again.

1  Thank dtgreigz