“Excellent breakfast”

Ranked #19 of 232 Restaurants in Napier
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed August 21, 2018 via mobile

My partner and I had breakfast here after spending the weekend at the County Hotel. The continental breakfast buffet was absolutely stunning, I really enjoyed the selection. Standouts were the fresh honeycomb and the creamy mushrooms. Highly recommend for a fabulous and lovely variety of breakfast options!

Date of visit: August 2018
1  Thank ampersandroid

Reviewed June 26, 2018

I was so excited when a group of us were booked into this restaurant, well that soon changed. Lovely building. 3 of us ordered the shrimp & prawn cocktail (as was described on the menu back then) arrived no prawns, we enquired to where were the prawns, told doesn't come with prawns, told the waiter its on the menu as prawn & shrimp. He consulted the chef, few minutes later a plate of hot prawns arrived to be shared between the 3 of us and seriously why the crostini with the shrimp cocktail? The other entrée of pork and salmon were very nice. Onto the mains, I had the duck which was beautifully cooked but have to ask why there was there pickled mushrooms with the veg, I love them but they seemed out of place in this dish. The other mains were nice. Beverages & food pricey. Service mediocre. On the whole underwhelmed.

Date of visit: April 2018
Reviewed June 18, 2018

We were staying at the lovely County Hotel, it was raining so dinner at Wine Street was ideal. The meal was delicious (duck a l'orange, melt-in-the-mouth lamb shanks, apple/pear crumble and affogato ) and service was good. I recommend the Morton's sparkling wine too. Breakfast next morning was plentiful and there was an excellent range of both cooked and continental foods, and I'd never seen a whole honeycomb on offer before! Table service from friendly Bryony was appreciated. We would recommend Wine Street for sure. There is one small criticism - the woven chairs are not very comfortable especially if you have a bad back, better suited to outdoors, suggest replacing them with a comfortable chair more suited to the period of the hotel. Otherwise....congratulations on a lovely restaurant.

Date of visit: June 2018
Reviewed June 17, 2018 via mobile

We had a good time with helpful wait staff; and the decor is excellent, in this charming old County Hotel. But it should be all about the food: and the menu looked good but as we compared notes later, the lamb shanks were a bit tough and the tarakihi was over salted. Apparently the steak was lovely. Duck liver Pate was a good option for a starter but mussel fritters were apparently not. So: just a middling grade for dinner; the venue is just great so it would be awesome if the food matched the room.

Date of visit: June 2018
Reviewed May 4, 2018

I had one dinner and two breakfasts , loved the ambiance , the excellent service and of course the food on offer . For dinner I had the Gem fish as my main , oven baked with a thick white sauce which was delicious .overall loved the place and I would highly commend the staff . worth while having a pre dinner drink I the Churchill bar ,which I found equally charming .

Date of visit: May 2018