“Friendly service and great price”
Review of Six on Union

Six on Union
Ranked #51 of 92 Hotels in Rotorua
Sydney
“Friendly service and great price”
Reviewed 25 February 2012

The couple who owned it were extremely helpful and helped us navigate and get discounted bookings. Location is a bit of a walk to CBD maybe 5-10 minutes but great value. Rooms were clean and well furnished.

• Stayed February 2012
2 Thank Mitchins
Sixonunion, Owner at Six on Union, responded to this review, 18 March 2012
Thank you so much for taking the time to review Six on Union motel. We hope to see you again.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
  • Korean first
oakland
Reviewed 19 January 2012

We visited relatives for two weeks in Rotorua and this turned out to be a good place to stay. Quiet street, clean up to date though not fancy studios with just enough kitchenette equipment to make fine meals in a nice shiny kitchen. Good layout! Shopping very near by. Tony and Lisa were good and knowledgable hosts, and made us comfortable. They steered us to the best hangi and Maori cultural evening. Simple good central location. Our room at the far corner of the building didn't get great wi fi reception, but we got it from the "Backpackers hostel" next door. We stayed at other places with the same number of "stars" and didn't like them as well. We'd definitely return again!

The photos on their web site seem accurate,

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank dontripOakland
Sixonunion, Owner at Six on Union, responded to this review, 20 January 2012
Hi Don

Thank you so much for taking the time to reveiw Six on Union. We hope to see you the next time you visit your family.
Many thanks
Canberra, Australia
Reviewed 16 September 2011

Stayed at Six on Union for a week in Sept 11, and the motel had all I needed. Was central (walking distance) to everything in Rotorua, had all I needed in the room to make my stay comfortable and enjoyable. The hosts were welcoming and friendly and helped me book tours, etc at more competitive prices to those advertised. Would be my first choice of accommodation next time I am in Rotorua.

Room Tip: Rooms 6 and 7 have a nice balcony to sit and enjoy the morning sun.
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank StuartF4
, Owner at Six on Union, responded to this review, 18 September 2011
Hi Stuart, Thank you for your comments it was a pleasure helping you with your itinerary. Hope to see you on your next visit.

melbourne
Reviewed 15 September 2011

we only had a short stay in new zealand as we were attending my girlfriends friends wedding but were recommended to visit Rotorua & to stay at this motel, neither was a let down. Tony & Lisa are great hosts & helped us with arranging tours. The motel is clean & good value for money. The room had everything we needed & the supermarket is just across the road. We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank david w
, Owner at Six on Union, responded to this review, 18 September 2011
Hi David & Kayla, Thank you for your encouraging words it was lovely meeting you both. We hope to see you again.

Nowra, Australia
Reviewed 5 September 2011

Although we didn't stay the night - first impressions count. We arrived early and decided to see if it was possible to check in. It was ok by reception so we drove around to the back of the premises and got our bags out. We were on the top floor and the owner I presumed walked in front, meanwhile myself and mother had to carry our heavy bags upstairs. The lady asked the man to help with our bags and his response was I have something heavy in the hands he was holding his cup of coffee or tea. The room was average, no electric blankets on the bed, the room was cold and the heater was on. The door on the room was frosted glass which is not appealing. I booked this hotel from the reviews of Trip Adviser I was aware it was not 5 star but thought it would be ok for the night. I received a call from my partner who was in Taupo and that I would need to go back to Taupo for the night. I am glad that we didn't stay as I think I would have left regardless of our change of plans. I went downstairs to advise and ask about cancelling and the man advised that I would have to pay the full fee. I paid the $99 and we got our bags and left. If we were to stay I would have asked for our money back. We were to stay in Rotorua the next night coming from Taupo but just headed to Auckland. I would not stay here, pay the extra $$ and stay elsewhere.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
, Owner at Six on Union, responded to this review, 7 September 2011
Yes, it was okay by reception(me referred to as 'the man' the owner) to check in early. I asked you to drive & park around the back, while I got the key & a jug of milk. My partner, who was walking passed as I came out of the office back door said carry their bags. I replied that I had to put the milk in the room & would come back down for the bags, but you followed directly behind me with your bags. I then returned to the office & heard your phone conversation about not being able to stay because someone in Taupo couldn't drive (which you confirmed when you came to the office to check out, no mention of you wouldn't have stayed here anyway). When asked I explained the cancellation fee which you were aware of having booked via a website. This is a standard charge made by the majority of accommodation providers.

I feel this review is unfair & based on the fact that you were charged because your plans changed.
Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
Reviewed 15 August 2011

We picked this place as it was recommended in our Lonely Planet guide for places to stay. It was freezing cold, didn't seem to have a working heater. Sheets/linens were old. Too cold to actually use the shower. There are plenty of other places to stay in this area that aren't much more in terms of expense, so I would avoid this place.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank kfheller
, Owner at Six on Union, responded to this review, 19 August 2011
I'm sorry if you were cold but all of our units have a large radiator which most people feel is sufficient to heat the room, these are all in working order. It's a pity you didn't mention it at the time, we want our guests to be comfortable & have spare portable heaters available. As for the linen, all of our sheets, bath & hand towels were replaced in February of this year (when we changed laundry supplier) so I find that comment very unfair.
Feedback is important to us but it is helpful if it is made at the time so that we can at least attempt to rectify any problems.
Luxor, Egypt
Reviewed 15 July 2011

We happened to drive by, looking for somewhere good to stay, owners were very welcoming and friendly even though we have not booked. We have 2 children so ended up with a room with 2 beds in the rounge and 1 in a separate bedroom. Room was clean, tidy with kitchen and bathroom. Pretty much everything you would expect from a Motel at a good price. Will stay there again.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family