All reviews the kitchen shower and toilet one night awesome stay place to stay double room centre of town quiet location on arrival swimming pool free wifi backpackers hostel beds dormitory ensuite netflix
Reviewed December 14, 2015

I needed budget accommodation for the night without the hassle of credit card bookings in an area I have never been to. I contacted this back packers and the patient owner not only gave great advice on where to go and what to do but I got free pickup from the airport (saving me $20 to take the shuttle) and a $25 rental bike to explore Taupo, the waterfall and river. Coffee and tea is free and there is a communal kitchen. Linen, carpets and bathrooms are spotless and everyone was friendly and helpfull.

There is a small pool and I ate my take away dinner outside under the trees at a picnic table. There is at least 4 different communal areas inside the backpackers where you can relax socially or be on your own if you wish including a big sunny dining area, bar with pool tables, outside deck, tv room with comfy couches and smaller lounge/computer area.

The lodge is close enough to everything to walk, but seriously consider a bike as it's a great way to see everything and you can bike right up to everything without the hassle of parking or walking. I was told to try the Rotary bike track which I loved (novice to experience).

If I visit Taupo again- this is where I would go if I was on a budget.

The only place I would improve is here: If you call and get the young helper in the front office, I suggest call back and speak to the owner or his lovely wife as the young person is not as helpful or knowledgeable.

Date of stay: December 2015
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
brett f, Owner at Berkenhoff Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded January 3, 2016

First of all, thanks for the awesome comments.

We always try to do our best with all guests by putting ourselves in your shoes and helping you find what suits you and your budget.

We are really happy to have you stay here and hope to see you again in the future.

Happy and safe new year to you and your family.

Reviewed December 6, 2015

I always stay at the Berkenhoff Lodge when I come to race at Taupo! Near but not too near the start, clean, comfy and has all the facilities you need!

I needed to stay a couple weeks ago while travelling through and got there later than expected. I couldn't believe the friendly welcome I got so late at night! they always go above and beyond for their guests!

Highly recommended - looking forward to the next trip!

Hi Helen.

Thanks for continuing to choose us as your accommodation in Taupo.

And also congratulations on your great cycling effort over the weekend. We hope to see you again next year.

Happy holidays and safe riding Helen.

Reviewed December 3, 2015

My family of 4 travelled to Taupo where I had entered the Taupo Classic Cycle race. We booked in to Berkenhoff and took a bunk room for 4 people with ensuite bathroom. It was perfect budget accommodation - clean and well equipped kitchen, nice dining area, free pool tables (kids loved them) and darts in the bar area, and relaxed, friendly staff.

The only down side was the bed had a significant "dip" on one side, and I think mine wasn't the only one.

Location was ideal for the cycling - a couple of km from Tongariro St (downtown) so a mini-warm-up before the race. Brett even let me store my bike in the bar area inside overnight.

• Trip type: Travelled with family

Thanks for the nice comments about the lodge. The cycle race was a great weekend and we were glad you chose us as your accommodation.

We are going to change the mattresses as we go along through the year so hopefully next time you will have a new one.

Have a happy and safe new year.

Reviewed November 5, 2015 via mobile

I stayed 3 days @berkenhoff lodge. It was quite at this time so everybody got there own private room, even they booked a dorm room. Fantastic! Brad the hostel owner and his coworkers have been all the time so friendly and helpful. I could ask them everything and they helped without hesitation. And the burgers, Brad made on the bbq grill, were amazing! :)
The lodge offers a big kitchen, a laundry area where you can hang your clothes outside, a huge dining area, a TV room, fire place, pool, spa and dart. There is nothing you'll miss. And if you ask them they'll pick you up from the busstation and get you back.
Next time I stay with you again! :)

Hi Judith.

Thanks for your nice comments about the lodge and the staff. We always try to do our best to help everyone and make everyone happy while they are here.

Have a happy and safe new year.

Reviewed October 19, 2015 via mobile

Right from the start I had an inclin that this would be good. I had a good vibe from the friendly tone of voice I heard on the telephone, something that at that moment inspired me with a feeling of calm and security.

Not only Brett, the owner of the lodge was super patient waiting for me to arrive at 11 at night.. but also immediately offered that I could use the kitchen if I wanted a cup of tea after the long .. 7 hour journey I just did.
I couldn't believe my eyes at the cleanliness of the kitchen it was literally shining and as a student chef I thought had my Tutor chef seen that kitchen he would have been proud.
You wouldn't miss a spec of dust on the mirror stainless steel bench tops or behind the cooker hobs and I promise you I could have used those as a beauty mirror they were so clean.

My room was just as clean comfortable and very good value I could not stop thanking my lucky star for providing me with this gem at the end of a 7 hour journey..

Both Brett and his wife are very hospitable friendly people and the several positive messages written on the walls by the guests leave no doubt in anyone's mind that the beautiful experience I had is not a one off.

Date of stay: October 2015
Trip type: Travelled solo

Thanks Giovanna for your great comments.

I am glad you had a good time staying here -- even it was only 1 night. Thanks for taking the time to write and we all wish you a safe and happy new year.