New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of Huka Lodge

Huka Lodge
Ranked #3 of 38 Taupo B&B and Inns
Auckland Region, New Zealand
“Great location, fabulous service, average food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 June 2011

We booked two rooms at Huka Lodge and it was a great experience. The welcome was fantastic, out of the car and straight on to the terrace for a complimentary glass of wine or bubbles. The rooms were lovely and comfortable and the views were excellent. I enjoyed being able to choose where we would dine in the evening and to feel like you were the only guests in the resort.

Pre dinner started with a person playing the bagpipes and summoning guests to the pre-dinner drinks and nibbles - a nice way to start the evening. Unfortunately dinner is where it failed to live up to expectation s - the food was quite bland and the presentation was average, the service continued to be exceptionally good however. Breakfast was excellent and we had a lovely lunch in a secluded spot. The staff and the location make this place great. They just need to work on the food.

Room Tip: Use FHR if you have Amex Platinum
  • Stayed March 2011, travelled with family
7 Thank Kiwi75

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 June 2011

The best hotel food requires good choices of appetizers, entrée, main course, and dessert.
Aside from that, good service plays a crucial role in promoting the hotel through the type of food being served.At the end of the day, the overall diner experience determines the way food is being served in hotels.
Huka Lodge- With their hotel food menu composed of the best Kiwi cuisine, the Huka Lodge got the perfect score. It’s warm earthy ambience plus impeccable service makes it the best hotel to have your food served. The main lodge is situated in the picturesque and serene setting of the Waikato River. It features rooms with stained wood interior design and wood shingle roofs thereby making it a good dining locale. What more can you ask for?

Room Tip: Eating the best hotel food and beverage.
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank Fullybooked86
Sydney
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 June 2011

My partner and I spent 3 nights at Huka Lodge end of May 2011. We extended our stay by 1 night we enjoyed the lodge so much. The staff are professional friendly and excellent. The grounds of Huka are spectacular. The food and beverage is first class. The suites are world class.

I particularly enjoyed the fireplaces. There is a roaring waterfall nearby the lodge, very spectacular.

Well done, we will definitely be back. A real pleasure.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank drswoods
Gold Coast, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 May 2011

Stunning location! Lake Taupo is gorgeous and Huka Lodge is the ultimate way to experience it! The service was unobtrustive, the rooms were luxurious but not over the top, the cabin feel gave it a 5 star ruggered ambience which was refreshing for a leading hotel of the world. I'm now a converted lover of communal dining, we met some amazing, interesting people this way. The food was equisite, whatever we wanted, no matter the time, we received it. We love not having a TV etc in the rooms, we were forced to slow down and enjoy our surroundings. Overall very impressed, can't wait to go back!

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank LipstickTraveller
Auckland Region, New Zealand
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 May 2011

The perfect place to celebrate a special occasion one might think - exclusive and romantic. So much about this lodge is excellent but my experience of the quality of service did not justify its reputation or tariff.
The location is wonderful, the suites luxurious and immaculate and our food was fabulous but...the service disappointed.
The concierge was attentive on our arrival and our dinner service was enthusiastic but the service from the management was perfunctory to the point of cold.
There was no private dining option for us for our special dinner (these are offered "first come first served". I guess you need to stay multiple days to get them, especially in inclement weather.)
An unfortunate mishap led to my shoes being ruined by housekeeping. An opportunity for the manager to shine I thought. While she immediately offered to refund the cost she offered nothing to reduce the inconvenience of the loss and later queried the cause of the damage. Not well handled at all.
I came home disappointed so I e-mailed feedback and suggestions. Waste of time. The response took 9 days. It came from the operations manager who showed admirable support for his staff but none for my concerns or suggestions.
Based on our experience I recommend you go somewhere else for really good service and price performance.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
13 Thank kokako99
Hastings, New Zealand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 February 2011

My wife and I bought a $5 raffle ticket and were lucky enough to win a single night at Huka. We are average earners with 2 young boys, and could never, ever afford a night at a top luxury resort, so we were excited to have had such a wonderful treat. I must admit, I wouldn't have written this review had I not been laughing so hard at the previous piece from a discontented person. I mean, really, a bathroom that needs to be bigger than a small boat?? Must be Dennis Conner!!
The staff were great, loved the personal touch from people who were not overbearing, not patronizing at all.
I must agree with one thing from my obviously well heeled colleague's missive, next time in Taupo, I will use more budget accommodation - through a lack of means rather than choice - and I'd be looking at NZ$100!!

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Torsoman
Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 February 2011

When you are paying over $2000 US per night it is reasonable to have high expectations. I found the help to be over bearing to the point of being forceful. The food tasteless. The portions very small. The room was nice but the bathroom smaller than a small boat. The location is nice but there are other places in Taupo better. If I had it to do over again I would save the money and go for a budget Lodge, say only a thousand dollars a night.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple