All reviews free breakfast the kitchen long termers great hostel to stay meet other travellers run hostel backpackers hostel initial booking tongariro crossing night's rest shared bathroom bunk room great tips family room other guests lounge area would stay here again
Reviewed October 16, 2014

For business travel the hostel is ideally located. It's walking distance to the shopping and restaurants. They have ensuite rooms which are small but very clean and a good bed. The common area, kitchen, lounge and outside balcony are closed around 1030pm so attracts a quieter clientele. Excellent value for money.

• Stayed: October 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed August 17, 2014

Tiki Lodge was recommended to me by a girl who was travelling in the bus with me who had a friend already staying there. It was walking distance from the i-site/main areas so it was a pretty good location. Far enough from the bars for a quiet night's sleep (depending on who your dormmates are).

Reception was ok. They had the courtesy of telling me credit card charges more, etc and were informative enough with whatever enquiries I had (especially with regards to doing the Tongariro Crossing). However, they were really strict with check out times which I find a bit iffy. Totally nobody's fault, it happened to be a bad day to do the crossing. I had to check out in the morning and leave my backpack in the storage room before leaving to do the crossing. Totally nobody's fault but it happened to be a bad day to do the crossing. I arrived back at the hostel piss wet through and asked if I could quickly pop in and change into dry clothes before getting on a night bus but they insisted I could not and told me to go to the public toilet which had a shower. I left the hostel and went to the public toilets like they said but it was already shut by then. Already I was tired and drenched, I had to unpack my bag and change into dry clothes in the normal (non-shower) toilets. I understand they have a policy and such but to me, if you are in hospitality, you should sometimes compromise in some circumstances. I felt like if they spared me that few minutes in the toilet would have made a difference.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
tikiboss, Manager at Tiki Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded September 29, 2014

Many thanks for taking the time to post feedback.
Tiki Lodge has an 11am check in -therefore giving us a one hour turn around to complete cleaning. As we are a family run hostel this often means closing reception (we are still contactable by phone) and going upstairs to do the cleaning ourselves (as we do not have the luxury of being able to employ staff most of the time). Therefore if we were to wait for everyone to check out on time - we wouldn't get the cleaning done - we still are flexible and often wait until about 10.30am depending on workloads.
We most certainly use discretion and let guests use the changing rooms if required but this can depend on other checked in guests and availability of bathrooms. In your instance we had the lodge fully booked (private group) and the guests had paid for private use of the lodge preferring not to share facilities. It would have been unreasonable to allow someone who had already checked out to use the facilities that the group had paid for the private use of.

Reviewed June 15, 2014

It's a normal Hostel. It's more or less central but quiter than the others. Got a spa. Beds were alright. I didn't like that they closed the balcony as early as the kitchen. Has a lot of couches (but even this room is closed pretty early)

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo

Hi there - many thanks for the feedback - the balcony and kitchen are actually closed at the same time (as you have to go through the kitchen to access the balcony). We do have a 24hr TV room plus garden area available after hours.

Reviewed April 21, 2014

Me and my group of friends booked a 2 days accommodation at Tiki Lodge.
The first impression that we had it wasn't very nice. The receptionist was rude you could easy see that she wasn't happy to be there. This kind of behavior are not acceptable in a hospitality environment.
The place has good location and facilities but I will not recommend only because of the bad service provided.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
4  Thank Barbara3258
tikiboss, Owner at Tiki Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded May 3, 2014

Many thanks for taking time to post feedback. Tiki Lodge is run by a husband and wife team so the receptionist you refer to would have been myself. I am sorry that you perceived the service was bad - I apologise if you genuinely felt like you were treated poorly. Trust me, if I wasn't happy to be here I wouldn't be here and I certainly wouldn't be bothering to respond to online reviews if I didn't care.
All online comments re: my customer service have been positive in the past until now so I presume that there was another specific issue you were not happy with. I strongly suspect that you were part of the group that caused issues while here as I was recently threatened with a bad online review from a member of that group. Funny, considering the guest was the one behaving poorly and I was the one threatened. Reception staff can often treated poorly by guests as well, however we tend to be the ones defending ourselves through no fault of our own.

Reviewed April 17, 2014

Stayed here for one night during a three week tour of New Zealand. This has to be one of the best hostel/backpackers accommodation that we've stayed in so far. The place looks pretty new and is very clean and modern. We stayed in a twin room with kitchenette and shared bathroom. The shared facilities were all clean and tidy. Laundry room was good and had an undercover car park. The wifi service was pretty sketchy and not very user friendly. The hostel cat is friendly. Overall this is a great place to stay, would definitely recommend.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
tikiboss, Owner at Tiki Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded May 3, 2014

Many thanks for taking the time to post feedback. The wifi is usually really good - it is not our system - but they recently upgraded software and servers etc so there were some teething problems with the changeovers/updates. These are sorted I believe.