“The Best Meal in NZ”

Ranked #23 of 149 Restaurants in Taupo
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed April 4, 2018

I had the best ribs I've ever had (includes many U.S. destinations), and the bread pudding was unreal. Service was great also.
This truly ended up being our best meal from Queenstown to Auckland.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,190)

Reviewed April 3, 2018 via mobile

Went for dinner on the Easter weekend with my husband. The menu had a lot of options so we had good expectations , but unfortunately the food was not up to our expectations. Also, we felt that it was over priced.

Reviewed April 3, 2018 via mobile

We spent one night in Taupo and unfortunately selected Dixie Brown’s for dinner. It’s a pleasant enough setting and the service couldn’t be faulted. However, the food really wasn’t up to much...

I ordered a burger with mushrooms - what with the copious amounts of cattle around you’d think that a burger would be a safe choice! However the burger was soggy, not very well seasoned and I’m not quite sure what sauce was poured all over it! Very uninspired and just about edible. My wife went for the salmon and scallop stack - both these were undercooked to the point of being off putting, while the bacon that the scallops were wrapped in was fatty and extremely undercooked.

This place felt like you were going back in time, with the menu and presentation like something I’d have eaten in a British pub during my childhood in the 1980s. There must be much better options in Taupo to eat, so don’t waste the opportunity and come here like we did...

Reviewed April 2, 2018 via mobile

Nice ambience with booths seating, can sit outdoor too. Cosy ambience. Good selection for breakfast, food quality good too. Staff service 2 stars. No smile, staff does not look enthusiastic, a bit pushy to order as soon as we sat down, when we are ready to order, no staff came for a while. Staff kept trying to clear my tea cup 3 times when I was still having my tea. Looks like restaurant has insufficient cups. Inside bar counter there were 5 staff, when asked for bill, we were asked to pay at counter. Service level does not match ambience n food quality. My grading for 4 stars def exclude service. Service is 2 stars.

Reviewed April 2, 2018 via mobile

The food looked great but that's where it stopped.

We were forgotten as other tables that arrived after us received their meals, when asked we were told it was being plated now and took another 10 mins.

The eggs were undercooked bacon over cooked. The staff look disinterested in pleasing customers and people should go elsewhere for a better experience