All reviews boutique hotel mid century oriental parade small hotel mini bar oriental bay te papa modern design chain hotels wellington waterfront junior suite brilliant location busy road rooms are comfortable within easy walking distance great room south island
Reviewed August 30, 2018

I've stayed in many Wellington hotels and this is the best. Its modern and very well designed. The rooms are spacious, the bathroom too, bed comfortable, big TV with SKY channels, Nespresso machine, in short has it all. They have a lovely in house cafe with excellent coffee and food with a difference from the normal cafe. Serves breakfasts to dinner. Location as about as good as it gets right on the waterfront but just a short walk to Courteny Place and the New World supermarket. You can see Te Papa only 500m away. With only 20 odd rooms its not too big, service is very personal and friendly. Loved this place!

• Stayed: August 2018, travelled on business
Rebecca M, Front Office Manager at Ohtel, responded to this reviewResponded September 1, 2018

Dear Gresham,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us and other travelers. We are very pleased to hear you had a great time staying with us and we hope to see you again soon.

Warm regards,

Reviewed August 26, 2018 via mobile

I really don’t like to have to write a negative review, especially as the staff we dealt with were so nice. Hopefully this will be taken as maybe room for improvement.
My partner booked and paid for this stay as I have been in hospital and he wanted us to have a relaxing weekend away to start feeling better. We looked at the photos of the rooms when choosing which one to get and it was the picture of the room with the free-standing bath in the middle that sold us in the end. We decided it was worth paying extra for that. As it was a choice between the “Suite” and the “Deluxe Room” which I don’t think has a bath or a view. We arrived in Wellington late at night so were really looking forward to that bath. I was disappointed to see that we did not get the room with the bath as in the picture. It had a bath but not the same. I didn’t want to hurt my partner’s feelings as he tried so hard to make this a good weekend but it upsets me that it felt like false advertising with the hotel’s photos and he didn’t get what he thought he was paying for.
Next, you can hear people outside all night, coming back from parties or pubs and playing music and yelling. There aren’t double glazed or sound-proof windows. It has the same sound as if the window were open.
The bathroom only has a curtain instead of a ‘door’. Which would be fine except that it pulls to by the toilet so there is always a sliver of curtain that doesn’t shut all the way right by where you’re sitting on the loo. If it pulled to the other side it would be fine. Plus sounds and smells are other factors in having no bathroom door! In the end we just each went for a walk if the other was going Number 2, or used the toilet by reception -which also had a glass door?
Each time I had a shower the hot water cut out after about 5 minutes. And the bathroom basin tap took almost 5 minutes to get hot water.
At night there is no reception after 9pm so you can here the heavy front door slam every time someone goes in or out at night. It feels like a backpackers or something in that respect.
All that said, the lady on reception who also takes orders for the cafe, was very warm and friendly. The food in the cafe for breakfast was great. And my partner and I loved the location and the mid-century decor.
The carpet in the room is very plushy and nice and bed soft and welcoming.
But if you’re after relaxation and privacy like a romantic getaway -I’m not sure this is the place.

Stayed: August 2018, travelled as a couple
Rebecca M, Front Office Manager at Ohtel, responded to this reviewResponded August 28, 2018

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. While we wish you had a better experience, it is feedback like this that we learn from and use to improve.
Some of the points you highlighted are not something we can change immediately or are looking at changing in the near future but will definitely keep in consideration as we constantly work to improve our guests experience.
All our rooms are different and have different design features even when in the same room category, we try to represent and describe them as well as we can on the websites but obviously fell short in this case. We will review the photos and the descriptions on the different websites to ensure the rooms are all represented in their different features.
We are happy to read that our staff stood out during your stay. We will make sure they know, as we are proud of how they look after our customers.

We hope that you will give us another chance next time you are in Wellington.

Reviewed August 26, 2018

It was a very pleasant night at Ohtel. I really enjoyed my stay there with my partner. I also performed some modelling photo shooting since I am a photographer. The room is fantastic and it has a very lovely bathroom with a huge bathtub which is awesome to rest and have a glass of wine. I will definitely consider Ohtel as one of my most favourite places to stay in Wellington.

Room Tip: Best view, clean, comfortable bed and options to choose a pillow, nice bathtub, very friendly staff
  • Stayed: August 2018, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest,

Thank you for the great review of our accommodation! We are glad that you enjoyed your stay and hope to see you again very soon.

Reviewed August 23, 2018 via mobile

Without doubt one of the best hotels in the world. Small, quirky, full of style and brilliantly thought through. Walking distance to everything Wellington has to offer. Sit and look over Oriental Bay, like in bed and watch the ferry pass or sit and read their awesome collection of art books

Stayed: August 2018, travelled solo
Rebecca M, Front Office Manager at Ohtel, responded to this reviewResponded August 25, 2018

Dear guest,

Thank you for your kind words. We are thrilled that you enjoyed your stay and we hope to see you again next time you find your self in Wellington.

Reviewed August 10, 2018

Ohtel on wellingtons Oriental parade is wonderful
Great location!! very good vibe
Wonderful rooms ...so clean great modern decor
Great views
Excellent service and wonderful staff
Very good restaurant too
Very good value for money

• Stayed: June 2018, travelled solo
Rebecca M, Front Office Manager at Ohtel, responded to this reviewResponded August 11, 2018

Dear Guest,

We loved the summation of your experience staying with us. Many thanks for taking the time to share your comments. I hope you will return again in the future.

Kind Regards,