“HUGE ROOMS”

Ranked #9 of 46 Hotels in Wellington
Stratford, New Zealand
“HUGE ROOMS”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 March 2012

We booked the CityLife Wellington at last minute, after weeks of trying to find accommodation for 3 adults and 2 children at a resonable price.
This hotel was perfect for us, unfortunately we didnt get to spend much time there,as the airport had been closed most of the day so we were late arriving, then left at 6.45am the next morning for the overlander train.
Reception staff were good, no complaints.
Room great, very large, 2 ensuite bathrooms and everything we needed. 7 Yr old slept on the couch, could have slept another child it was large like the apartment.
Overall. nice hotel and room, would stay again.

Room Tip: we had and executive 2 bedroom apartment booked, but think we were upgraded to a 2 bedroom directors...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Tee1969_10
CityLifeWellingtonGM, General Manager at CityLife Wellington, responded to this review, 3 May 2012
Dear Tee1969_10,

Thanks for choosing to stay at CityLife Wellington and posting your feedback on TripAdvisor.

I am pleased that you and your family had a great stay with us and found the rooms ideal for your stay.

We look forward to welcome you back in the near future.

Viresh Mathur

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (192)
Calgary
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 March 2012

CityLife Auckland is accessed at the top (6th floor), and the approach and parking is very challenging for drivers, especially shuttle drivers with trailers. The reception desk staff was excellent for me at check in and check out, very helpful with luggage both times. My third floor room was spacious and very nicely appointed and included a kitchen and laundry facilities in the bathroom. The only thing I didn't like was the "view" out of the window, lots of concrete - but it did provide some natural light and after dark that no longer mattered. I appreciated the fitness centre, also located on the 3rd floor (far away from guest rooms - no concerns)

• Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
CityLifeWellingtonGM, Manager at CityLife Wellington, responded to this review, 10 April 2012
Dear D M,

Thanks for posting your feedback on TripAdvisor.

It is great to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and found the staff excellent during your stay.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the not too distant future.

Hotel Manager.
Hamilton, NZ
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 March 2012

We have stayed here a couple of times and find it good value for two bedrooms (and a lounge/kitchen).

The hotel rooms are a bit depressing as there is not much light as the building is surrounded by other tall buildings. In the past I have found the maintenance of the rooms poor but this time I found it better (but there were still a couple of small things not working). Be aware that the 2nd bedroom is an internal room. In the past we have woken up early due to the street noise but this time our room was slightly higher.

There is no night-life near-by. We walked outside on the Saturday night and found nothing open for food in the area. We also had to walk about ten minutes on a Sunday morning to find breakfast. There is plenty of shopping right outside the hotel (once it all opens).

There was plenty of parking at a fair price. I will continue to stay here when with my kids but only as I can't find anything better in the city.

Room Tip: don't pay the extra for the exec.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
CityLifeWellingtonGM, General Manager at CityLife Wellington, responded to this review, 7 March 2012
Dear guynz,

Thank you for posting your valuable feedback on TripAdvisor.

I am pleased to inform you that we are in the process of changing the light fittings to improve lighting in all our rooms.

Once again, thank you for your feedback and I look forward to welcoming your family again at CityLife Wellington.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 March 2012

I've stayed at the Citylife Wellington a number of times, mainly for business, and keep going back as it is consistently good.

The location is excellent, for business or leisure travellers, as it is in a very central location and within easy walking distance of the all main CBD businesses and tourist attractions.

The rooms/suites are generally of a very high standard with quality fittings and plenty of room. I have had one or two instances of minor problems with rooms, including an air conditioner not working, but nothing significant.

I agree with some of the other reviewers in that there is some variation between room quality - as a regular business traveller I suspect I get favourable treatment when it comes to room choice, so it might pay to request anything specific you are concerned about when booking.

The staff are first class - very polite and helpful - nothing is too much for them.

Overall a very good hotel and I will certainly continue to stay there.

Room Tip: request a room on the 'terrace' side of the building if you are concerned about traffic/stre...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
Dear Paulrproctor,

Thank you for providing us with your valuable feedback. I am pleased to read that you enjoy your stays with us and found the staff first class!

I also would like thank you for your loyalty shown towards Cityife Wellington and for the business you have given us.

I look forward to welcoming you again at CityLife Wellington.

Hotel Manager.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 February 2012

Treated us like royalty! They were wonderful! We stayed in room 606. Nice and quiet, not much of a view but great for those wanting to go out all the time like us!

• Stayed February 2012
Dear Goodoil,

Thank you so much your valuable feedback and your kind words about the service you received here at CityLife Wellington.

I look forward to welcoming you back at CityLife Wellington and treating you like royalty once again :)

Canberra, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 February 2012

My experience with Wellington accommodation is that it tends to be on the dark and dreary side no matter where you stay.

Citylife Wellington was my best accommodation experience in Wellington so far. As I was familiar with the area we had no trouble finding reception or parking, but I can imagine it would be very difficult for first-timers. On the plus side, detailed maps with pictures and directions are left at the Lambton Quay entrance.

The rooms are spacious, VERY stylishly decorated, and the toiletries provided are of high quality – the only time I have ever been able to say that about hotel accommodation! The staff are all very friendly and very helpful.

The location is excellent. Wellington is a bit of a mess of a city, but the hotel is pretty much located in the middle of everything.

The reception area with tea and coffee facilities is nice, and I appreciated the newspapers. However, in this day and age, when I travel internationally I expect to have free Wi-Fi in my room. If they can manage it in tiny hotels in Ukraine, then they should be able to manage it in New Zealand’s capital city!

On the negative side, something had been spilt both at the front door of our room and also in the master bedroom – there were wet patches on the carpet and a fan drying it out when we checked in. I suspect it was something that was smashed, as on our first night there I got a piece of glass in my foot from a carpet that obviously hadn’t been vacuumed properly!

Our room was exceptionally dark. Even with all the lights on I needed my ebook reader’s light to read in the lounge area! It is also impossible – if you’re female – to do makeup in the poor lighting!

Our other complaint was the cleaning lady who walked straight into our room without knocking at 9am. I don’t believe it’s normal to barge in on people before checkout time, and it was especially unappreciated as we’d slept in as we had only arrived the night before!

We would probably stay again, but wish something could be done about the darkness!

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
Dear SAusN,

Thank you for posting your valuable feedback on TripAdvisor.

It was pleasing to read that CityLife Wellington was your best accommodation experience so far and you found the location excellent & staff very friendly.

I also would like to sincerely apologise for the inconsistent service you received on your stay.

I am also pleased to inform you that we are in the process of changing the light fittings to enhance the brightness in our rooms.

Once again, thank you so much for providing us with your valuable feedback and I look forward in welcoming you back at CityLife Wellington.

Timaru, New Zealand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 February 2012

Plush quiet room at a hotel that opens to downtown Lampton Quay.
Bed very comfy.Nice touch with the chocolate on the pillow. Room very warm. Bathroom great size with a fantastic shower. Excellent water pressure. Staff very helpful at check in.
Sadly no onsite restaurant. Heritage chain (Citylife part of this), have lovely restaurants in other cities so was looking forward to sampling here. Small meeting area for breakfast/late afternoon drinks in foyer which I felt was a bit exposed. TV in room was very small for size of room, Ridiculously hard to find if driving, as entrance foyer not on main street but up some back streetsd with minimal parking and no turn around are. Despite this it was a super stay and definitely would go back!! Love that it is so central

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
Dear dibbydoo,

Thank you for posting such a lovely feedback on TripAdvisor!

It is great to learn that you enjoyed our service and facilities. We look forward in welcoming you back at CityLife Wellington where you can once again enjoy the sheer luxury.