“Great food but overpriced”

Boteco Cafe & Restaurant
Ranked #286 of 1,140 Restaurants in Christchurch
Price range: US$7 - US$30
Description: Come try the South American and mediterranean cuisine we have Tapas, Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner while you enjoy live music and belly dance shows with shisha
Reviewed December 31, 2017

I bought a meat platter for two, valued at $70 but which I got for almost half price due to having a voucher. For what I paid for it, it was excellent with a good selection of meats and with plenty of food to fill up two people.I'm giving it four stars instead of five, however, because I don't see it as being worth the money at full price because, while tasty, the ingredients did not seem premium quality and I could get something similar for cheaper elsewhere in Christchurch, so I probably won't be back unless I get another good deal. I also have a couple of other minor complaints, such as that the water was not chilled and so was warm given it was a hot day, there was no salt shaker at our table and the pepper shaker was greasy and there was a table of customers smoking in the outside seats and the smoke wafted in occasionally. None of this significantly damaged the experience but I still would expect somewhat better for a restaurant that charges relatively high prices.

Overall I greatly enjoyed the meal but would suggest people look elsewhere unless they get an equally good deal.

Reviewed December 26, 2017 via mobile

Boteco is our favourite restaurant in Christchurch. The chef is friendly and talented, the food is at its best as well. We have received a GrabOne voucher from a friend for a Mediterranean grill platter for two , looked exactly as advertised, very tasty, and we have order a tiger prawns main to share. Enjoyed every bit of it, well done !

Reviewed November 13, 2017 via mobile

Went here with my husband while in Christchurch on a 2 week road trip around the South Island. The food and service was amazing highly recommend it.

Reviewed October 7, 2017

First time going to Boteco. Never again.

Ridiculously expensive for what was on offer.
We got the Traditional Platter which was $20 for 3 falafel balls, 3 tiny dolmades, hummus, babaganoush, and pita bread.
While the dips, bread and falafel were OK the dolmades were mush. Yuck. And for $20 I expect more than 3 small falafel balls!

I ordered the lamb kebabs, which came with more pita bread and fries. My friend got the chicken. It was pretty tasty.

But the worst thing about this place is the prices. Seriously. $20 for fries with cheese and mushroom sauce? Absolutely insane. I can get wedges with sour cream and chilli sauce for $11 at my other fave restaurant.

And they charged $5 for CANNED COKE poured into a glass. GTFO. Absolute rip off.

Reviewed September 21, 2017 via mobile

This is the 3rd time we have been here and it just gets better. The owner is welcoming and friendly and obviously enjoys what he's doing. My son, whose birthday we were celebrating, declared the falafel the best he's ever tasted and we all agreed.
The best on the menu has got to be the Boteco traditional platter with a divine hummus dip, fabulous homemade baba ganoush, the terrific falafel and heaps of pita bread. A real winner for vegetarians and neat eaters alike.
My husband had beef kofta kebab which he said was delicious, and a side of Buffalo wings which he pronounced terrific. Can't wait to go a 4th time!!!