“Good but not great”
Review of The Origin

The Origin
Ranked #146 of 1,163 Restaurants in Christchurch
Reviewed April 4, 2018

Met a friend here for a 10.30am brunch. Didn't feel like there was anything that really jumped out at me from the breakfast menu, and the lunch menu didn't start till 11.30am. Should have paid more attention to the cabinet food - some of which looked quite appealing. The muesli and fruit I finally chose was beautifully presented and tasty though. Coffee was excellent too.

Others in our group had pancakes and a scone (pronounced dry).

Food and drinks were very slow coming.

Very pleasant surroundings and I would be happy to return - either for lunch or for something from the cabinet.

Reviewed March 23, 2018 via mobile

I live around the corner from here and checked it out for the first time today. Wow. Absolutely delicious. We had the dumplings and savoury pancakes and shared. Also had an apple lime juice. Very very good. We will be back for breakfast! Need to try everything on that menu! Thank you x

Reviewed March 16, 2018 via mobile

Ironic that this wonderful vegan cafe is located on the site of the former Angus Butchery. No blood and guts on the floors now.
This is the place for delicious coffee, healthy and very tasty food that is exceptional in presentation and bright-eyed staff.
I'm not a vegan but I highly rate this establishment and if I lived closer would be a very frequent customer.
Very much worth a visit!

Reviewed February 15, 2018 via mobile

Came here for a coffee and ended up buying lunch! Coffee was delicious and we ordered the pancakes and dumplings and were not disappointed! Will be back

Reviewed January 30, 2018

If you want a cup of English breakfast tea, don’t call here. I didn’t like the speciality tea that was recommended to me by the server as being irs equivalent. It had an odd taste and was very weak. We told the server and she did not offer to replace the drink or to refund the cost. I would have swapped to coffee given the chance. I did not drink the tea. Our shared chocolate brownie was stodgy and undercooked. We left some of this too.

On the positive side, the restaurant setting is pleasant and the granary salad roll we also shared was tasty. However, we departed feeling very underwhelmed by the experience, felt overcharged and will not return.