“Scenic Sublime”
Review of Pegasus Bay Winery

Pegasus Bay Winery
Ranked #17 of 261 things to do in Christchurch
Reviewed November 17, 2017 via mobile

What a lovely afternoon in what has to be one of Canterbury’s gems.
Pegasus Bay Winery is tucked away in a valley with beautiful landscaping on the outside and even more beautiful wine and food on the inside.
We chose to have a tasting first so the Aria has another outing for me and my better half while our friends opted for the Pinot noir
Then we sat outside to sample the talents of the chef with venison, steak and gnocchi. The gnocchi was perfect - fluffy and browned. The better half said his venison was tender and flavoursome. The steak was cooked exactly medium.
With the accompaniment of new seasons tiny asparagus spears and delicious roast agria potatoes plus entrees and a sharply sweet Riesling to match it was a superb afternoon. The wait staff was a very personable young man who made it even more special.

All reviews
"beautiful garden"
in 5 reviews
"beautiful sunny day"

Reviewed November 8, 2017

I phoned Pegasus Bay winery today to organise an xmas function and I explained that I wanted to book some tables for approx 13 people. We were hoping for some wine tasting and some nice platters/tapas, etc for the group rather than a sit down meal as such. We planned on spending the afternoon there, drinking wine and enjoying our team xmas celebration. I was told by the restaurant that they only cater for this kind of menu for 10 people, not 13 and that I should phone another winery instead to see if they will cater for our needs. Very disappointing, as Peg Bay winery has always been my preferred venue, I phoned the Manager to discuss and she was very inflexible and made it clear that they would do it for 10 but not 13 people. Not very helpful and although I can honestly speak very highly of their food, wine and venue from experience - their service and flexibility and the idea that 'one size fits all' is very trivial and disappointing.

2  Thank Brooke K
Reviewed October 29, 2017

We were taken to the winery for wine tasting and then lunch. The sun was out and with clear blue skies above. After half an hour of wine tasting and arranging to have a case delivered home, we went for lunch. We were seated outside in the sun, looking out over some stunning scenery we had incredible food matched with great wine. After lunch it was nice to be able to walk around the grounds and sit on bean bag over looking the gardens. I really really recommend visiting!!!

Reviewed October 5, 2017 via mobile

We stopped here on a whim as we drove into Christchurch. We started off by tasting some wine in the tasting rooms, highly recommend their whites. Given it was a lovely day we had a late lunch. I had the gnocchi which was devine. The service was excellent and we bought 4 dozen bottles of wine on the way out. All in all a very successful interlude to an excellent day.

See more reviews
Reviewed September 24, 2017 via mobile

We were taken to Pegasus Bay by friends who have visited there before, to celebrate our anniversary. We are visiting from Australia. We have had a most fantastic afternoon. The wines were delicious and the foods were so very tasty. We know we were very lucky with the weather...sunny and mild...so sitting outside in the gardens was lovely. We were looked after by Bula and Jack...both friendly and knowledgeable young people. We started our meal with a shared charcuterie board accompanied by a yummy Riesling. This was followed by an amuse bouchée of white fish with fresh ginger and parsley. Amongst our group, we had Angus beef, Canterbury lamb rump and venison...everything so tasty. I would definitely recommend this winery and it's restaurant ... especially for a special occasion...but make sure you book ahead.