All reviews old jail hot water bottles unique hostel novelty factor interesting place to stay unique stay prison cell common areas ami stadium double room bunk beds new zealand stayed here for one night botanic gardens hagley park dolls kitchen
Reviewed December 30, 2017 via mobile

I'm not normally a fan of shared toilets and showers, but this was worth making an exception for. The rooms are well equipped (apart from only having a couple of plug sockets) and it's a really comfortable and convenient place to stay in Christchurch.
You can get here from the airport by taking 2 buses (you only need one ticket, cos you can transfer without paying any extra) and it's a (long but nice) walk into the centre of town. We stayed here mainly because it's very convenient for the TranzAlpine station, but it's also good for Akaroa buses (the French Connection one picks up from directly outside) and there are some great cafes in the area.

Date of stay: December 2017
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed December 10, 2017

Jailhouse accommodation has a convenient location close to the centre of Christchurch. The bedrooms, kitchen & bathrooms are all clean & well equipped.
The staff are friendly & helpful with lots of useful travel advice.The wifi is good & there is off-street parking available.I recommend this hostel.

Date of stay: December 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
jailnz, Owner at Jailhouse Accommodation, responded to this reviewResponded December 14, 2017

Thanks, really appreciate your kind words. Our staff work hard to exceed expectations so I'm very glad for the great feedback.

Reviewed November 22, 2017

I was travelling with my family, parents, I need to use wheel chair for them sometime.

Reason for selecting:

I wanted to show my family especially kids and paretns something different--> Jail accomodation.
I won't call it extremely cheap but not too expensive
The Staff whom I spoke with were extremely down to earth and good.
I had renta car, I was travelling from Lake Tekapo and flying out from Christchurch.

Good point:

1. Of course something different.
2. Limited access with Wheel Chair for my dad.
3. Budget accomodation in descent location.
4. few min from Kids Big PlayGround in Christchurch.
5. its Clean, Good reception staff.
6. Not Party type so good for family on budget.
7. Private Room with no next door noise.
8. Bed, Pillow, Towel are clean.
9. Seperate Wheel Chair access toilet which are clean, modern comparded to shared toilet/bathroom.

I won't say Bad but drawback Point to consider.

1. No Lift yes no elevator so carry your luggage all the way up.
2. No Private room with bath in ground level.
3. Room are extremely Small Tiny as its Jail Accomodation.
4. The Window are extremly high due to very high celing, it doesnt completely close like blinds which flip up and flip down. so tiny space for cold air to sneek inn ;)
5. There is no seperate heating, there is long pipe which heats up and thats what brings Room temp up/down. My Dad and wife were little cold but I didnt had problem as I like cold weather may be :)
6. *** Wheel Chair cant go in the room as the front door is small*****
7.****Big Luggage no no in the room as the room is small, THe Bed place to walk to bed and the room ends****
8. The close the Laundry room I think one hour in morning and evening so its difficult to use it if you are in family.
9. Reception isn't 24 x 7. Please book your room in advance for late check in but they are extremely good they will keep keys ready for you :)
10. Common Share Bathroom were clean but they were old Steel toilet, shower, steel basi they had typical smell. The Wheel chair share bathroom was awesome easily accissible for my dad.
11. no play ground for kids as its Jail house ;)

If you guys like my review please like so that I know its helpful and I can continue same way or message me in private for any questions :)

Good Luck,
Jignesh Jani

Room tip: low level room for Wheelchair access and with kids to avoid Big long stairs :)
Date of stay: August 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled with family

Hi, thanks for all your information and feedback. We do have wheelchair accessible rooms with specially installed wider than standard doors for the specific purpose of easy access for wheelchairs. In fact we had to remove the original cell doors to install, and widen the opening which was a big job, so I really like to see them used for purpose! I have searched your reservation and see that you were not in one of these and as you arrived late I don't think we knew in advance that you had a wheelchair. I am very sorry about that and would have loved for you to have had an accessible room! The cells do have central heating pipes as well as a heated panel, and we offer extra blankets and hot water bottles. Glad you enjoyed your stay though!

Reviewed November 9, 2017

After booking, I discovered that my partner is emotionally unable to stay in a jailhouse for personal reasons. Within 6 hours of booking I requested to cancel, but they refused to because I had booked a "non-refundable" room. Just because they are technically allowed to take my money, doesn't mean they morally can. I think this reflects poorly on them as a business and I expected better from a well reviewed accommodation. I genuinely expected them to be more empathetic towards this situation, especially given the unique nature of their hotel.

Date of stay: November 2017
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank alekseynp
jailnz, Owner at Jailhouse Accommodation, responded to this reviewResponded December 4, 2017

Hi, I'm sorry you were unable to stay at Jailhouse and experience all we have to offer. We are sorry but in consideration of our guests who choose to pay the higher flexible rate we do not refund Non-refundable' bookings. Hope you can stay at our amazing place another time.

Reviewed October 10, 2017

I loved this hostel so much! I only stayed one night but it was absolutely fantastic. As soon as I walked in I knew it would be great! The staff were so helpful in letting me know how to get to Akaroa and giving me information. The coffee was great too! It is such a unique place to stay and I loved the fact that they had kept some of the cells as viewing cells for historical purposes. the room was so beautiful and clean and warm! They give you a towel on your bed too which was awesome. There are two cool hang out and chill rooms and there is a pool table too! The showers were super warm and really decent water pressure. it is a bit far out of town but there are some cool cafes and pubs down the street. As well as this the bus to Akaroa picked me up straight outside. niiiiiiiiiiccccccce. Stay here.

Date of stay: October 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled solo

What can I say but thanks a mill! So glad you loved Jail - come again!