All reviewscadbury factorycumberland streetsecure parkinggreat locationanytime fitnessrailway stationcountdown supermarketone way systemnew world supermarkethousekeeping staffclean and tidy roomsstayed here for a weekshort strollcrockery and cutlerypark the carwithin walking distancecentral location
Reviewed October 28, 2017

Quest Apartments is situated exactly across the road from Cadburys – a local landmark and New Zealand icon where I have lived all my life without ever seeing the factory or touched its exterior walls (have now) and yet here I am staying directly opposite – despite its looming manufacturing closure in a month or two. Quest is quite clean in appearances, looks modern and that’s where the problem arises. It’s the heavy doors with self-closers that clunk and vibrate through the walls from use. There is a secondary door thud due to air pressure as well when closing another door. There are basically 2 doors to each room, one leads into a small foyer area where it splits into two rooms. All night you hear doors closing – like an airport hotel where people are on the move 24/7. You can hear the alarm clock go off in the room next door as well as hear the person in the room above you walking around among other noises. The room is comfortable enough though the room I spent two nights in would probably be classed as a studio where two people would be a crowd for more than a night. If you like strong showers you are in for a treat with way above average water pressure to be enjoyed. Unfortunately the building forgot the room view as the window and view opens out onto a vast concrete wall being the sort of thing you might expect in a large built-up City like Auckland, Sydney, Melbourne …but in Dunedin? The concrete wall acts like a megaphone directing all car park sounds upwards to the 1st floor room and with the window open hear a lot of traffic noise on the busy street as well. Same side of the building but on the 2nd floor it may be the same issue. It’s not all bad, this Hotel is very well-positioned with town a short walk around the block onto the main street and the local scene of restaurants, cafes and bars.
I understand there are charges to park up in the secure Hotel car park, limited free Wi-Fi before charging and no onsite restaurant or cafe, though continental breakfast packs are available to purchase before 7pm the evening before from Reception. The room kitchenette has everything you may need to cook a simple meal using an electric fry pan or microwave and there is a New World Supermarket along the street (across from the Fire Station) which opens at 7.30am. The Supermarket also has a barista and the coffee is great! There are a few charge back options to your room available for local restaurant dinning. Oh - I don’t plan on staying at Quest again any time soon.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view, away from the ground floor car park and main street traffic noise.
  • Stayed: October 2017, travelled on business
Reviewed October 19, 2017

Easy to get onto wifi, lovely amenities & complimentarys. Staff went out of the way to make things easy for us & all were very pleasant from reception to cleaning. Very clean. Lovely comfy bed & quality sheets.

Room Tip: Loved my room with a bath & separate bedroom
  • Stayed: October 2017, travelled on business
Reviewed September 25, 2017

I stayed here on my way to Christchurch and was happy with a clean and comfortable location to stay. The hotel is across the road from the Cadbury factory and a short walk from some good restaurants. I would recommend this place to stay if your looking for a decent place to stay.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled solo
Samantha-quest, General Manager at Quest Dunedin, responded to this reviewResponded October 17, 2017

Thank you for your feedback, it is much appreciated and we look forward to seeing you again next time you are in Dunedin.

Reviewed September 15, 2017 via mobile

Seems expensive for a pretty basic offering - especially as there are very limited front desk hours and therefore not a full service hotel.
Located on the one way system so quite busy especially for heavy traffic which is passing through Dunedin.
Freshly painted hallways
Poor internet which is unusual for Dunedin as it is the 'gigabite' town, but to be fair I think this relates more to how the infrastructure was set up in the hotel.
Passable but I'm not providing a recommendation as I believe you can get more for less elsewhere

Stayed: July 2017, travelled on business

Thank you for your feedback. At Quest Dunedin we strive to give our guests the best experience possible during their time with us, I'm sorry you felt we didn't met your expectations. Our hallways are freshly painted, as are our apartments which have new furniture and new carpet has been placed throughout the building.
This is the first we have heard of anyone having a problem with our wi-fi, I will be speaking with our internet provider to see if there is anything they can find that may be upsetting the system and have this resolved immediately.
Our reception may not be open 24/7, however there is an on-site manager available 24/7 if you require assistance. I do hope that if you return to Dunedin that you reconsider our property for your accommodation needs. We would love the opportunity to redeem ourselves in your eyes.

Reviewed September 15, 2017

This is my accommodation of choice in Dunedin - an old favourite. There is car parking available and it is in walking distance to the central Dunedin Shopping Centers. There are two Super markets also in walking distance and unlimited dining options. The rooms are comfortable and clean and offer everything you need for your stay. The staff are friendly and welcoming.

Room Tip: Ask for a room not directly overlooking the street.
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled on business

Thank you for your great feedback. I'll pass your kind words onto the staff.