“The Walk of a Lifetime”

Book In Advance
More Info
US$276.38*
and up
Ultimate Nature Experience from Queenstown: Dart...
More attraction details
Owner description: The only operators of multiday guided walks on the famous Milford & Routeburn Tracks: operating in New Zealand's stunning World Heritage Area, providing range of all-inclusive guided walks from 1-8 days. Trek through rainforests, past mountain peaks and over remote alpine passes on a unique experience without sacrificing comfort or convenience. Accommodation on overnight walks is in luxury lodges, with meals, hot showers and snug beds. All walks include transport, food, equipment and expert guides. Single day excursions must be booked 24 hours in advance.
Reviewed April 5, 2018

Six weeks before the trek, Ultimate Hikes email you with advice on preparation for the trip such as getting used to new boots and walking for several kilometres with a back-pack, building up your strength. I strongly recommend that you listen to these words of wisdom! With the best of intentions, I never got beyond the six steps it takes to get to my car from the front door of my house and, my days as a nubile young damsel now confined to ancient history, it was a miracle indeed that I completed the trek at all. As to the trek itself, Ultimate Hikes have got it just right from their exceptional guides and the maintenance of the tracks, to the quality of the food and accommodation along the way. You were always their priority. We also met some very interesting people with fascinating life stories to take home and remember. Overall, it is the sense of achievement that you come away with that makes it so special. I would recommend this to anyone.

All reviews
"doc huts"
in 13 reviews
"lake mackenzie"

Reviewed April 2, 2018

Amazing, Amazing, Amazing Experience !

We did the Milford Track with Ultimate Hikes in January 2018 as part of our Honeymoon and we loved every second!

Milford Track - 5 days in wild nature, with breathtaking views, colours and birds. We felt blessed and lucky to be able to walk for 5 days in such beautiful environment. The first two days you follow the Clinton river, you discover the Wetlands, you swim in lakes. The third day is the "intense" day where you climb to the Mackinnon's Memorial. Views are breathtaking; you also discover the Sutherlands falls - the 5th largest waterfall. The 4th and 5th day mark the end of the trek but also the discovery of Mitre Peak and Milford Sounds - Amazing!

Ultimate Hikes - From day 1, Ultimates hikes takes care of everything for you. You start your journey with a very comprehensive brief on (1) Milford track (2) Equipment needed (3) The lodge. Ultimakes hikes lends you everything you might need from backpack to walking poles to rain jackets. We were very lucky to be with Thomas, Kelvin, Sophie, Kelly - great guides, always a joke or a story to tell. They made sure everyone felt confortable, happy and had fun!

Lodges - Above expectations ! As it was our honeymoon we booked a private room in every lodge and I can tell you I was impressed about the quality of the lodges. Food was very good, rooms were clean, spacious and views were spectacular !

Don't hesitate, the Milford Track is a MUST and with Ultimates Hikes it only gets better!

1  Thank Alexandra B
Reviewed April 1, 2018

We completed the Milford Walk a week ago and what an amazing experience. Ultimate Hikes were professional and well organised from beginning to end. Anthony, Jono, Kieran and Kyohei were fantastic guides, very knowledgeable, friendly and patient with the slower and less fit. We liked that once you had set out as a group each day everyone’s differing pace meant you spread out along the track at your own speed. The scenery is spectacular on the Milford Walk and although we experienced rain, snow and sunshine we still enjoyed every day. The UH lodges are comfortable and warm and the drying rooms are wonderful to use at the end of the day. We were very happy with the food that was provided and having a choice for the main course each night was great. This walk had been on our bucket list and it did not disappoint. Ultimate Hikes made the experience exceptional.

1  Thank weston59
Reviewed March 31, 2018 via mobile

The trail we did was the Milford Track. I would recommend this to anyone and everyone. We did the hike via Ultimate Hikes.
Pros- they let you use some gear (beware, the backpacks do carry quit an odor, I would buy a bag if I had to do again). They arrange everything. The guides cook and serve the meals, and the food is great!
The views are stunning, and the guides give local info whenever you cross paths on the trail. They are also patient no matter what speed you go. And the rooms are pretty comfy and clean. You can also wash and dry clothes.
Cons- no heat in the 2 and 3rd lodges. Everyone froze at the second lodge. Snow fell on the mountain that night. But the hot water bottles in bed helped a bit.
Hot water runs out fairly quickly. I had 2 cold showers out of 4 nights.
The last day drive out was odd. It felt like the guides were “done”. I wouldn’t mention, but so many other guests brought it up, I know it wasn’t just me. Please note- there is NO bathroom stop after lunch. I won’t go into details, but pre plan. They do not want to let you off the bus.
And if you opt for the helicopter, place your lunch on the bus anyway, no matter what anyone says. If you don’t, and the copter cancels, you have no saved seat, and will have to hunt down your lunch. Just trust me on this.

I do recommend the company, but just plan accordingly. Ella was above and beyond an exceptional guide.

1  Thank Cbenedict